Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop avoiding things I used to love? Watch

Announcements

I have OCD, anxiety and possibly depression. I find it really hard to things I used to love, I find myself avoiding hobbies, procrastinating and can't decide what to do, I can't decide on just one thing and I end up not doing anything or much which makes me feel worse. Does anyone have any advice on how to get round this? I think I'd probably feel a bit better if I could do things again but it's so difficult to just get going and keep things up. And how can I stop being in my head so much? Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have OCD, anxiety and possibly depression. I find it really hard to things I used to love, I find myself avoiding hobbies, procrastinating and can't decide what to do, I can't decide on just one thing and I end up not doing anything or much which makes me feel worse. Does anyone have any advice on how to get round this? I think I'd probably feel a bit better if I could do things again but it's so difficult to just get going and keep things up. And how can I stop being in my head so much? Thank you
    It's worth seeing your GP to see if they can help. They could refer to another service, or give you medication if appropriate.

Have you tried doing on of your activities with a friend? It might be a little easier if it's all planned out. When I was in this situation, I found it helped to make it a bit harder to back out of. If I was going with a friend, or someone was expecting to see me, then it wasn't as simple as just not turning up and that sometimes gave me the push to do things. If that's not for you though, don't sweat it. You might find things more difficult with the added pressure, and that's fine too. Rather than trying to take everything on in one go, try and bring back one thing at a time. Say, if you liked playing a sport, and you were also really into art and playing an instrument as well, you could just try one of them to begin with. It's less to do then, and doesn't feel like such a mountain to climb

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.