Health

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I wrote this on the wrong topic area.

For the past "year" my stomach has been hell, it seems all food and drink goes straight through me, sometimes it makes me sick, this has been going on for some time, because of this I can barely sleep at night because I'm worried my stomach will play up, and going out has become a problem aswell. Originally I thought it was IBS and I went to the doctors about it before, but they couldn't give me medicine because j refused a blood test, so I've been thinking, should I go to the doctors and get my blood taken to make sure, and is anyone else experiencing anything like this aswell?
    ( I'm really afraid of needles , so the blood test is going to freak me out, any tips to stay calm?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iishannonx33)

For the past "year" my stomach has been hell, it seems all food and drink goes straight through me, sometimes it makes me sick, this has been going on for some time, because of this I can barely sleep at night because I'm worried my stomach will play up, and going out has become a problem aswell. Originally I thought it was IBS and I went to the doctors about it before, but they couldn't give me medicine because j refused a blood test, so I've been thinking, should I go to the doctors and get my blood taken to make sure, and is anyone else experiencing anything like this aswell?
    ( I'm really afraid of needles , so the blood test is going to freak me out, any tips to stay calm?)
    Hi! I would definitely be worth going back to the doctor and getting the blood test done. It's much worse in theory than in practice. I have blood tests every few weeks. I'm fine with them now, but when I was little I used to be scared. They may have a numbing cream, it's worth requesting it if it's possible when you see the doctor. They'll have to arrange it in advance, so it's best to ask ASAP. Also, lie down when you have it done. They'll let you choose whether to sit or lie down, and lying down makes things a bit easier and if there's a chance of you feeling faint, then you want to be lying down. Turn your head when they do it, and don't watch. Find something else in the room to focus on

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Health

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Hi! I would definitely be worth going back to the doctor and getting the blood test done. It's much worse in theory than in practice. I have blood tests every few weeks. I'm fine with them now, but when I was little I used to be scared. They may have a numbing cream, it's worth requesting it if it's possible when you see the doctor. They'll have to arrange it in advance, so it's best to ask ASAP. Also, lie down when you have it done. They'll let you choose whether to sit or lie down, and lying down makes things a bit easier and if there's a chance of you feeling faint, then you want to be lying down. Turn your head when they do it, and don't watch. Find something else in the room to focus on
    Thankyou for your reply, I've only ever gotten blood taken once and from that experience it always terrified me, so it means a lot getting advice from someone who gets blood taken often, I'm going to schedule a doctors appointment ASAP , so I can get it over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your reply, I've only ever gotten blood taken once and from that experience it always terrified me, so it means a lot getting advice from someone who gets blood taken often, I'm going to schedule a doctors appointment ASAP , so I can get it over and done with.
    I know what you mean. I had a cannula put in as a kid and it wasn't a good experience, so I wasn't looking forward to having it done again the other week. It was actually fine though. You just have to try and stay as calm as you can at the time, and it's over with in seconds. Good luck!

ReputationRep:

I would go back. When you book your bloods do it as an appointment rather than going to the bolld clinic so you can get more attention. Lay down for it, bring a friend and talk to them about something. You may find it helps to ask the nuse to just do it and not tell you what's going on (that works best for me) or you may like to have it talked through with you. It's personal preferance there and some nurses are just better at it that others.

I know it will sound useless to you since you have a legit issue with them and it tends not to be "ratinoal" when you have issues like that, but there is nothing to be afraid of. I't a sharp scratch and a kinda odd sickish feeling maybe. It will be done before you know it so just keep yourself distracted while it's going on. Tell the nurse doind it and they should help you out.

I had a bunch of tests and theories for my gut issues and it eventually landed on IBS and maybe a food intolerance. They will probably want to test you for any intolerances and things they can first because they have specific treatments while IBS is largely just managing the symptoms. Unfortionately this is one of those situations of no pain no gain. Just think this lot of blood tests could lead to your gut issues being fixed.

In the meantime, try peppermint for any cramping and discomfort. It helps me a lot- sometimes more than buscopan (ibs meds) even.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I would go back. When you book your bloods do it as an appointment rather than going to the bolld clinic so you can get more attention. Lay down for it, bring a friend and talk to them about something. You may find it helps to ask the nuse to just do it and not tell you what's going on (that works best for me) or you may like to have it talked through with you. It's personal preferance there and some nurses are just better at it that others.

I know it will sound useless to you since you have a legit issue with them and it tends not to be "ratinoal" when you have issues like that, but there is nothing to be afraid of. I't a sharp scratch and a kinda odd sickish feeling maybe. It will be done before you know it so just keep yourself distracted while it's going on. Tell the nurse doind it and they should help you out.

I had a bunch of tests and theories for my gut issues and it eventually landed on IBS and maybe a food intolerance. They will probably want to test you for any intolerances and things they can first because they have specific treatments while IBS is largely just managing the symptoms. Unfortionately this is one of those situations of no pain no gain. Just think this lot of blood tests could lead to your gut issues being fixed.

In the meantime, try peppermint for any cramping and discomfort. It helps me a lot- sometimes more than buscopan (ibs meds) even.

Thank you, Yeah I'm just going ahead and doing it, trying not to think about it too much. It's nice knowing that someone has been through something similar. Hopefully the blood test's will help solve my problems.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, Yeah I'm just going ahead and doing it, trying not to think about it too much. It's nice knowing that someone has been through something similar. Hopefully the blood test's will help solve my problems.
    If they don't they will at least rule other things out and help a diagnosis. Gut issues can be a pain to get to the bottom of sometimes so you have all my best wishes and sympathy trying to get to the bottom of yours.
    oh and btw I used to have real issues with blood tests (i'd throw up) but you get used to them and how you do best with them soon enough.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.