Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Drama Society (UKL DraSoc) watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone involved in RSC Shakespeare Festival this year? I did it last year! I was Prospero 'the mighty enchanter'.

I thought it was a great idea to get kids into Shakespeare and to discover how fun and exciting his works are.

(Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    Is anyone involved in RSC Shakespeare Festival this year? I did it last year! I was Prospero 'the mighty enchanter'.

I thought it was a great idea to get kids into Shakespeare and to discover how fun and exciting his works are.
    i haven't heard of that before but it sounds like fun!! anything that aims to get kids into Shakespeare and theatre in general is good in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    i haven't heard of that before but it sounds like fun!! anything that aims to get kids into Shakespeare and theatre in general is good in my opinion
    It’s really good! It’s run by the government, and aims to get people into Shakespeare. Each school does an adapted version of about 45 mins and then two or three schools get together to give three different plays.

It's really good because when we did ours we were traditional in our dress. The people who did Romeo and Juliet set it in a nightclub and the people who did 'A Winter Tale' did it all in white and really minimalist. So it was good to compare the other dramatic styles used with yours.

ReputationRep:
    I am just reading Euripides play: ION

Its really, great, has anyone else studied it before?

(Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    It’s really good! It’s run by the government, and aims to get people into Shakespeare. Each school does an adapted version of about 45 mins and then two or three schools get together to give three different plays.

It's really good because when we did ours we were traditional in our dress. The people who did Romeo and Juliet set it in a nightclub and the people who did 'A Winter Tale' did it all in white and really minimalist. So it was good to compare the other dramatic styles used with yours.
    sounds really good! i wish i was able to be involved in more things like that. This summer i am going away on a residential drama course where we work with visiting artists to devise a play. Then in september we meet up reherse then perform at schools across cheshire in evenings during the week then finish on the saturday at a theatre. I went a few years ago and then instead of a devised play we did Beowulf and performed in a theatre for a week. It was really good, i got to learn anglo-saxon, sing in anglo-saxon and carry a sword It would have been brilliant to take that around schools because it was aimed at younger children but the set wouldn't allow it. (we had a set that came out and had a cave in it for grendel to come out of and the a small ramp and a huge one behind it..at the begining everyone crawled out from under the ramps and over it! fantastic..)

ReputationRep:
    may I join? I am taking French Drama next year and I have been involved in plays since the age of 7.

(Original post by choco_frog_chic)
    may I join? I am taking French Drama next year and I have been involved in plays since the age of 7.
    you know i really wish i had the experience of being involved in plays since such an early age..some of my friends have been doing it since that age and i only got into it all a few years ago...so they have had a lot more experience than me. But it is ok as i have now finally found a great theatre group so all i good..

ReputationRep:
    Thank God somebody has started up this society! It puzzled me why there wasn't one here at first, but then in all the chaos of exams and actual rehearsals, I never got round to starting it up myself! So congrats! Now please add me to the list!

Drama - I did the odd play when younger, but then this last year I went hell for leather; I was in a student production just before GCSEs, then over last summer I wrote my own play. I was then in four plays at two schools this year (Don Pedro in 'Much ado about nothing', Mobius in 'The Physicists'). I'm now taking the play I wrote to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe with a cast of twenty four other students! I'm directing it too, and it's been an absolute nightmare, with no involvement from teachers or anything! We had to raise £7000 ourselves... So if you're up there, and I think Acaila is the only one, then please come and check us out! We're called The Blue Nightflies, performing 'Absolute Sacrifice' from 22-31st August, 8p.m. (mention my name, and you'll get a reduction!).

Has anybody else done the Shell Connections programme? I was in that this year at a different school, and we got to perform at The National! Is anybody here from Dolman Youth Theatre? Because you guys did an incredible production! Well done! 'Moonfleece' by Philip Ridley... Amazing.

My favourite play, currently, is one called 'Proof' by David Auburn. I am now reading through a lot of Harold Pinter's plays, and they are superb, if a little confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocagem)
    Thank God somebody has started up this society! It puzzled me why there wasn't one here at first, but then in all the chaos of exams and actual rehearsals, I never got round to starting it up myself! So congrats! Now please add me to the list!

Drama - I did the odd play when younger, but then this last year I went hell for leather; I was in a student production just before GCSEs, then over last summer I wrote my own play. I was then in four plays at two schools this year (Don Pedro in 'Much ado about nothing', Mobius in 'The Physicists'). I'm now taking the play I wrote to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe with a cast of twenty four other students! I'm directing it too, and it's been an absolute nightmare, with no involvement from teachers or anything! We had to raise £7000 ourselves... So if you're up there, and I think Acaila is the only one, then please come and check us out! We're called The Blue Nightflies, performing 'Absolute Sacrifice' from 22-31st August, 8p.m. (mention my name, and you'll get a reduction!).

Has anybody else done the Shell Connections programme? I was in that this year at a different school, and we got to perform at The National? Is anybody here from Dolman Youth Theatre? Because you guys did an incredible production! Well done! 'Moonfleece' by Philip Ridley... Amazing.

My favourite play, currently, is one called 'Proof' by David Auburn. I am now reading through a lot of Harold Pinter's plays, and they are superb, if a little confusing.
    Wahey! I'm going to be there next Saturday which is the......aww it's the 21st isn't it That's a shame What venue are you in btw? I've already seen bits of a few shows because I know people in the cast . Although I'm quite annoyed I don't get to see the full things. I'm going to go see Antigone at Churchill and something called Fierce which doesn't sound very good Would rather go and see something else . Might get the chance to fit in another show if I can. I did the Festival Cavalcade on Sunday and that was great. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAADS of people. Looks like it's going to be a busy festival . What's your play about? (Don't have my festival booklet here atm).

%^&$! (for you Expression ) I just remembered I have drama homework for tomorrow!

EDIT: Oooh I did a play that was in the original National Connections, but it was just for the local drama thing. It's called Eclipse and is by Simon Armitage. Good play

i was reading a really interesting book today called "Who killed Kit Marlowe". It was fascinating because Christopher Marlowe is one of my favourite playwrights. I really like Dr.Faustus..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Wahey! I'm going to be there next Saturday which is the......aww it's the 21st isn't it That's a shame What venue are you in btw? I've already seen bits of a few shows because I know people in the cast . Although I'm quite annoyed I don't get to see the full things. I'm going to go see Antigone at Churchill and something called Fierce which doesn't sound very good Would rather go and see something else . Might get the chance to fit in another show if I can. I did the Festival Cavalcade on Sunday and that was great. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAADS of people. Looks like it's going to be a busy festival . What's your play about? (Don't have my festival booklet here atm).

%^&$! (for you Expression ) I just remembered I have drama homework for tomorrow!

EDIT: Oooh I did a play that was in the original National Connections, but it was just for the local drama thing. It's called Eclipse and is by Simon Armitage. Good play
    Wahey! My first contact with somebody who might actually be able to see a performance! *Now think business strategy...* Okay, so you're up on Satuday, not a problem! We do have a dress rehearsal from 0300-0530 that morning! Pop along, it proves to be fantastic, as not only is it two of the cast member's birthdays, but we also won't have one of the main actors because he'll have been at a wedding the night before.

We're in venue 231, aka 1/4rm @ Greenside, aka Greenside, aka the venue whose venue manager was forced to resign on Sunday because the staff revolted. Yep, it's all good news. Our play's explores the subtle complexities of the human mind through a range of characters and settings, ranging from the Peruvian jungle to an accountant's office. What the hell was I thinking when I wrote that? It's a tragicomedy, although some would say that the tragedy is the lack of comedy. Actually I'm the first to say that, I hope. So, it's about seven guys who go into a Peruvian jungle, and get put in prison by the Peruvian Army. They escape, and one by one they die, until three are left alive. But it's told by the three survivors through dreams and an autobiography. And there are plenty of twists and turns along the way, including job losses, schizophrenia and painting. So something for everybody. Yes, even you.

I bet Festival Cavalcade was incredible! How much did you guys practise for that? I wish I could've been there, but my cast wouldn't have appreciated my absence, and neither would the Air France plane which I would have had to get to go on a slight detour from Gatwick to Edinburgh on its way back from Bordeaux. Still, I'm going to be up there from the 19th onwards (get results, then jump on plane, quite literally), so I might bump into you!

Edit: Ooh, that play was on on the same night as our own so we couldn't see it, as we were stuck in a dressing room at the time! But I do have a copy somewhere, and I will read it, on your recommendation. Simon Armitage did some poems in our GCSE English anthology. I bet you've always wanted to know that.

ReputationRep:
    yay! I do love Eclipse. I played Tulip the *****y tomboy.
    I'd love to come see but I don't get in to Edinburgh til about 11 o clock I think (will check tomorrow at drama)
    Certainly sounds an interesting play
    As to the Cavalcade we didn't really prepare much. Several of us had done it before. We keep on playing this game called Pony that some Americans taught us all the way down. And starting Mexican waves. And singing songs. And acting like lunatics. And giving out beads to the kids who DON'T ask for them.

ReputationRep:
    yay! I do love Eclipse. I played Tulip the *****y tomboy.
    Did you find it hard to get into character?

As to the Cavalcade we didn't really prepare much. Several of us had done it before. We keep on playing this game called Pony that some Americans taught us all the way down. And starting Mexican waves. And singing songs. And acting like lunatics. And giving out beads to the kids who DON'T ask for them.
    Hehe, morals are important, even in acting! We're aiming to do a public Aztec Sacrifice - making costumes on Wednesday! It'll involve getting a knife, some blood, and an unruly cast member, and then placing them in the centre of Princes street. Are we being overambitious?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds ace!!!

But the kids were just annoying and there were a few cute little ones with no beads who look a wee bit scared, so I gave beads to them instead.
    Didn't find the character hard at all tbh. One of my easier ones. I had played another *****y char a few months before so I guess I just incorporated.

ReputationRep:
    It's always the cuties that get you! No wonder my youngest sister seems to get so much for free!

Talking about incorporating roles, does anybody have any ideas as to how to use the roles of a fifteen year old american teenager with a terrible accent, a mad German physics professor and an evil shakespearean gentleman to create the physical manifestation of a schizophrenic's delusions? There must be some technique out there...

ReputationRep:
    Errrrr that sounds......interesting....and difficult :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i'd like to join the society,

has anyone read or studied the playboy of the western world?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting and difficult, right on both accounts! But good old Stanislavski must have something on the matter. Hmm. Chapter Seven: Emotional memory. This might take some time...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure every teenager has those kinda memories :eek:

(Original post by Apocagem)
    Interesting and difficult, right on both accounts! But good old Stanislavski must have something on the matter. Hmm. Chapter Seven: Emotional memory. This might take some time...
    ah good old Stan. Don't you just love him

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.