Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accents Watch

Announcements

Hey guys. Hope you all having a good day!

I need to carry out some research about accents (it's for English) Would it be possible if you could take some time out and answer some of these questions? Thanks!

1.What accent do you like the most and why?

2.What accent do you not like at all and why?

3.Have you ever changed your accent at a specific situation? Why?

It would help a lot if the accent is in the UK. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak143244)

I need to carry out some research about accents (it's for English) Would it be possible if you could take some time out and answer some of these questions? Thanks!

1. I like the Edinburgh accent the most, personally, because I think it's very soft compared to some of the harsher scottish accents (e.g: Glaswegian) and Scotland is my favourite place to holiday to really

2. I dislike the scouse accent the most (apologies to all scousers on TSR) because I find the accent to be quite high pitched and somewhat grating

3. Not consciously, although some people have said that I sound posh/ southern and others say I sound northern so maybe?

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    1. I like the Edinburgh accent the most, personally, because I think it's very soft compared to some of the harsher scottish accents (e.g: Glaswegian) and Scotland is my favourite place to holiday too really

2. I dislike the scouse accent the most (apologies to all scousers on TSR) because I find the accent to be quite high pitched and somewhat grating

3. Not consciously, although some people have said that I sound posh/ southern and others say I sound northern so maybe?

Yeah mee too, I'm not a huge fan of the scouse accent. I find it very hard to understand

ReputationRep:

My favourite accent has to be northern Scottish (Inverness area) as that's where my family come from and it just sounds lovely and like home to me because my dad's family have them and I love visiting Scotland and them.
    Essex is my least favourite (sorry to all with an Essex accent!!!) because it sounds so weird and awful and like they are all chewing gum and it just grates on me.
    When I'm speaking to Scottish family, I pick up a slight accent and because my default voice is posh Londoner, it always feels weird. I sometimes do a northern Scottish accent for fun as it makes me happy, and it's either that or Chelsea Londoner.

(Original post by eruditeprincess)
    My favourite accent has to be northern Scottish (Inverness area) as that's where my family come from and it just sounds lovely and like home to me because my dad's family have them and I love visiting Scotland and them.
    Essex is my least favourite (sorry to all with an Essex accent!!!) because it sounds so weird and awful and like they are all chewing gum and it just grates on me.
    When I'm speaking to Scottish family, I pick up a slight accent and because my default voice is posh Londoner, it always feels weird. I sometimes do a northern Scottish accent for fun as it makes me happy, and it's either that or Chelsea Londoner.
    Ah okay, interesting
    Thank you!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I support Cheslea btw.

ReputationRep:
    1) Quite like Scottish accents(I've got family in Glasgow though so don't need an interpreter).

2) None that I dislike, but I piss myself sometimes when I hear the South-West "ooh arh".

3) My relatives from "darn sarf" said that my accent sometimes sounds a lot broader when I speak to other Northerners.

(Original post by JamesN88)
    1) Quite like Scottish accents(I've got family in Glasgow though so don't need an interpreter).

2) None that I dislike, but I piss myself sometimes when I hear the South-West "ooh arh".

3) My relatives from "darn sarf" said that my accent sometimes sounds a lot broader when I speak to other Northerners.
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    West coast Scots. Somehow it's very reassuring. Quite fond of Geordie and Glaswegian having lived in both Newcastle and Glasgow.

2.What accent do you not like at all and why
    Birmingham/Black country, though I'm not so keen on Scouse either. Too nasal and whiny.

I think we all do to a certain extent to fit in - or stand out. I dumbed down my accent when I got to university as people took the mick out of it but when my aunt rings my kids know instantly as my posh accent automatically reappears.

(Original post by Compost)
    West coast Scots. Somehow it's very reassuring.

Birmingham/Black country, though I'm not so keen on Scouse either. Too nasal and whiny.

I think we all do to a certain extent to fit in - or stand out. I dumbed down my accent when I got to university as people took the mick out of it but when my aunt rings my kids know instantly as my posh accent automatically reappears.
    What do you mean by black country? I've never heard of that :/

Oh okay, yeah I also speak at a 'posh' tone when it comes to family memebers such as aunties and uncles.

ReputationRep:
    Black Country - round Wolverhampton, so Brummie but worse!

(Original post by Compost)
    Black Country - round Wolverhampton, so Brummie but worse!
    Oh okay lol thanks

ReputationRep:

i like the australian accent ngl, i doa pretty gd one

i hate cheryl coles accent,idk wht it is? newcastle? yh tht one LMAO

nope, accent stays the same 24/7

Spoiler:
    Show
    hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    1. nigeria
    2. bengal
    3. depends on the weather

ReputationRep:
    1 - Scottish or geordie

2 - Brummie or scouse

3 - Telling a joke

ReputationRep:
    1) American, I have no real idea why, probably because I haven't heard it a lot.
    2) Scouse, I find it quite funny that I'm applying to Liverpool uni too.
    3) I don't, but apparently I have a normal british accent around my friends but as soon as I talk to my parents, even on the phone and in english, my accent changes suddenly to a pakistani one (parents are pakistani). I didn't pick up on it until my mates recorded me speaking to my family haha

ReputationRep:
    1. Manc accent is 👌👌👌

2. Joining in with the scouser hating here. Sorry!

3. Only when Im taking the piss

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1: Australian and Scottish.
    2: Irish and Cockney
    3: Maybe, American once or twice. I don't know why though.

(Original post by mariam687)
    i like the australian accent ngl, i doa pretty gd one

i hate cheryl coles accent,idk wht it is? newcastle? yh tht one LMAO

nope, accent stays the same 24/7
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hope i helped
    (Original post by bunnyhop12)
    1. nigeria
    2. bengal
    (Original post by bunnyhop12)
    1. nigeria
    2. bengal
    (Original post by viffer)
    1 - Scottish or geordie

2 - Brummie or scouse

3 - Telling a joke
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    1) American, I have no real idea why, probably because I haven't heard it a lot.
    2) Scouse, I find it quite funny that I'm applying to Liverpool uni too.
    3) I don't, but apparently I have a normal british accent around my friends but as soon as I talk to my parents, even on the phone and in english, my accent changes suddenly to a pakistani one (parents are pakistani). I didn't pick up on it until my mates recorded me speaking to my family haha
    (Original post by moshe015)
    1. Manc accent is 👌👌👌

2. Joining in with the scouser hating here. Sorry!

3. Only when Im taking the piss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    1: Australian and Scottish.
    2: Irish and Cockney
    3: Maybe, American once or twice. I don't know why though.
    Thanks everyone!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There's my English homework done - Feel free to post more!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.