Is anyone bothered about the fall in the £?

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is the fall in the £ a good or bad thing and are you bothered?
    Very good thing- Lower the better
    3.33%
    Moderately good
    6.67%
    neutral- makes no difference to me.
    6.67%
    moderately bad- suck it up.
    26.67%
    Very bad- Hell in a hand cart.
    36.67%
    I havent a clue, dont care, pineapple on pizza is wrong.
    20.00%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37584727

The fall of the £ is in the news again. Since brexit it has gone from £1= $1.50 to $1.24. Thats a c 18% drop.

Thats good because it makes our goods cheaper to export and also cheaper for tourists to come and but goods or investors to come and buy businesses or houses. It makes our workforce cheaper as well.

Its bad because it means foreign goods cost more and can also create inflationary pressures if people continue to buy these goods. Borrowing can also be more expensive.

Is anyone bothered if the £ continues to fall?

I did a poll.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of currency analysts are expecting it to fall further. The next year or two of Brexit negotiations will bring some volatility to the pound until the process is finished and we have an idea of a post Brexit Britain is going to be like.

ReputationRep:
    Its ironic that Brexit has made things cheaper for foreigners to buy such as houses, companies and land so more and more of Britain will be owned by foreigners which I don't think was the intention of people who voted to Leave.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good time to invest in exports, I think.

ReputationRep:
    meh...idc
    am still buying my doritos and chocolate after school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37584727

The fall of the £ is in the news again. Since brexit it has gone from £1= $1.50 to $1.24. Thats a c 18% drop.

Thats good because it makes our goods cheaper to export and also cheaper for tourists to come and but goods or investors to come and buy businesses or houses. It makes our workforce cheaper as well.

Its bad because it means foreign goods cost more and can also create inflationary pressures if people continue to buy these goods. Borrowing can also be more expensive.

Is anyone bothered if the £ continues to fall?

I did a poll.
    Yeah my auntie is. So she's moving back to Dubai

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For me there are 2 sides to this.

In the short term, this is not a good thing as the UK has a trade deficit so there is a net loss in real term for the consumers and UK businesses which trade only domestically.

In the long term however, a weaker currency may be needed to adjust our trade gap and strengthen our competitiveness as we export more globally, especially as we compete against EU countries in trade.

I personally see this as a classic short term pain for long term gain scenario.

ReputationRep:
    >tfw you want to make things harder for the forigs but you accidentally make everything cheaper for them

ReputationRep:
    The argument that the EU will give us a good trade deal because we run large trade deficits with them is now arguably now. Because of the fall in pound you'd have to really like German cars to purchase a BMW instead of a Jaguar, considering the BMW will be 10% more expensive next year...

ReputationRep:
    Nope
    I just changed 3000 Euros and got £2551.02 today

Pre Brexit they wanted to give me around £1900

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    A lot of currency analysts are expecting it to fall further. The next year or two of Brexit negotiations will bring some volatility to the pound until the process is finished and we have an idea of a post Brexit Britain is going to be like.
    Yep we're screwed thanks to the far right, nationalists Daily Express and Mail readers and their love of Brexit.

All because of the lies about immigration fed to the most gullible bigoted in society who actually believe this stuff, same as the Tory BS we see on channel 5 and their obsession about benefits. Some People will believe anything you tell them, especially the far right.

I mean the Brexit leaders were even counting fee paying foreign students as immigrants.
    Also the lies that illegal immigrants get unlimited benefits, a free house, car is also BS.

The whole Brexit campaign and its leaders should be prosecuted for electoral fraud by giving misleading and inaccurate information.

We are about to see our future our lives our career chances the lives of our future children change for ever, changed for the worse based on lies. Lies to win votes is NOT democratic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of stuck on how to vote for this because pineapple on pizza is right my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habina786xx)
    Yeah my auntie is. So she's moving back to Dubai

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol

anyway I believe thing get better before they get worse,as far as the pound goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Its ironic that Brexit has made things cheaper for foreigners to buy such as houses, companies and land so more and more of Britain will be owned by foreigners which I don't think was the intention of people who voted to Leave.
    Which is why you don't leave decisions like these to the average schmo. It may sound like elitism but you have the most qualified and experienced people decide on these issues. There are hundreds if not thousands of things to factor in- almost like an over elaborate chess game. For all the good "democracy" does, the average populace is fickle, selfish and easily manipulateable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    The argument that the EU will give us a good trade deal because we run large trade deficits with them is now arguably now. Because of the fall in pound you'd have to really like German cars to purchase a BMW instead of a Jaguar, considering the BMW will be 10% more expensive next year...
    All UK made cars have a large percentage of imported parts so even UK made car prices will have to go up as well not to mention inflation caused by a lower pound forces up wages increasing costs to car makers.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.