Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Bad GCSEs, but good A levels

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to a university in the US, most preferably Stanford.

I got BCCDDDE on GCSEs.
    However I got AAAAABB on AS levels and I am predicted A*A*AA on A level (Self studying Further maths too).

I also did the SAT Reasoning test with a 1520 score on the new SAT and did Maths 2 and Physics.

I believe I have an extremely active extracurricular background
    Will the GCSE grades hold me back from getting accepted by a university in US (most preferably Stanford)?

ReputationRep:
    How the **** did you get that as - don't worry your grades will not hold you back, it's about your character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shneebnee)

I got BCCDDDE on GCSEs.
    However I got AAAAABB on AS levels and I am predicted A*A*AA on A level (Self studying Further maths too).

I also did the SAT Reasoning test with a 1520 score on the new SAT and did Maths 2 and Physics.

Will the GCSE grades hold me back from getting accepted by a university in US (most preferably Stanford)?
    How were you able to do so many a levels (in our school you have to get atleast 46 (preferably in 48 or over though) or over APS score in your best 8 GCSES to be able to study 4 Alevels and 5 Alevels are mostly for those students who achieved As and A*s for GCSE.
    Any ways I think you may be allowed I mean I don't know whether American unis have the same requirement as us about getting atleast a C in maths and and English Lang to be considered for a place
    Ur as levels are amazing- great inspiring example of someone who truly wanted to turn things around. I hate unis that judge people by their GCSE grades no matter how well they've done at a level.
    Well done you!
    What subjects r u doing and what did you get in them at GCSE and then a level if you don't mind me asking?
    I have chosen bio despite getting a c and I really wanna change things. Ur grades make me motivated to work hard as working hard can make a difference clearly!

ReputationRep:

I got BCCDDDE on GCSEs.

How were you able to do so many a levels (in our school you have to get atleast 46 (preferably in 48 or over though) or over APS score in your best 8 GCSES to be able to study 4 Alevels and 5 Alevels are mostly for those students who achieved As and A*s for GCSE.
    Any ways I think you may be allowed I mean I don't know whether American unis have the same requirement as us about getting atleast a C in maths and and English Lang to be considered for a place
    Ur as levels are amazing- great inspiring example of someone who truly wanted to turn things around. I hate unis that judge people by their GCSE grades no matter how well they've done at a level.
    Well done you!
    What subjects r u doing and what did you get in them at GCSE and then a level if you don't mind me asking?
    I have chosen bio despite getting a c and I really wanna change things. Ur grades make me motivated to work hard as working hard can make a difference clearly!

ReputationRep:
    how did you get 7 AS levels ? why would you go to America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    Well done you!
    I think the school allowed me to do 4 A level because it is a private school (I am just guessing) or maybe because it is a different exam board (CIE).

At GCSE:

Maths- B
    English- C
    Physics- C
    Biology- D
    Geography- D
    ICT- D
    Portuguese-E

AS Level:

Maths- A
    Physics- A
    Biology- A
    Geography- A
    Portuguese- A
    General Paper- B
    English Language- B

Predicted A Level:

Maths- A*
    Physics- A*
    Biology- A
    Further Maths- A

I'm glad I made motivated; worked really hard to get these grades!

ReputationRep:
    I think the school allowed me to do 4 A level because it is a private school (I am just guessing) or maybe because it is a different exam board (CIE).

At GCSE:

Maths- B
    English- C
    Physics- C
    Biology- D
    Geography- D
    ICT- D
    Portuguese-E

AS Level:

Maths- A
    Physics- A
    Biology- A
    Geography- A
    Portuguese- A
    General Paper- B
    English Language- B

Predicted A Level:

Maths- A*
    Physics- A*
    Biology- A
    Further Maths- A

Wow well done!
    Good luck...hope you get those grades!

ReputationRep:

At GCSE:

Maths- B
    English- C
    Physics- C
    Biology- D
    Geography- D
    ICT- D
    Portuguese-E

AS Level:

Maths- A
    Physics- A
    Biology- A
    Geography- A
    Portuguese- A
    General Paper- B
    English Language- B

Predicted A Level:

Maths- A*
    Physics- A*
    Biology- A
    Further Maths- A

still you have 7 AS did you do 3 privately? I am sorry I can't answer your thread but wow well done!

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.