The Student Room Group

Should I apply to University or not?

Okay so I want to do biomedical science at University however my AS results were very bad as I did next to no revision and had absolutely no motivation. My results were:
A - Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
C - Biology
D - Maths (A in C1 and S1, but a U in C2 - I am going to retake the C2 module and hopefully get a B/A so I can get an A overall)
D - Chemistry

At the moment I am doing Maths/Chemistry/Biology at A2 and I am studying/revising/doing notes for all the work from last year, so that when the exams next summer come around I will do much better.

Most people in my college are applying to University for 2017 entry, though I am not sure if I should even bother. My grades do not meet the entry requirements for most biomedical science courses, and therefore I am wondering if it is even worth it too apply now. To be honest, I do not really want to take a gap year as I feel like it is a waste of time, however I do not know if I will get any offers with my current AS grades. Someone help?
(edited 7 years ago)
Just by asking this question makes me feel that uni isn't the place for you.
Reply 2
Original post by AccountingBabe
Just by asking this question makes me feel that uni isn't the place for you.

Nope. I 100% want to go to University and I am determined to work hard over the next year to get the grades I need. My only issue is that my AS Grades are too low and do not meet the entry requirements for most biomedical science courses. I am therefore not sure if it is worth it too apply now for 2017 entry with my bad AS grades or wait until next year, and apply for 2018 entry with my hopefully good A2 grades.

However, I really do want to go to University in 2017 I am just not sure whether I will get any offers at all with my AS grades. Just wanted to get some other opinions and advice. I suppose what I am really asking is - has anyone had any luck with getting offers despite their AS grades being lower than the entry requirements for the course?! Just wanted to know as I am filling in my UCAS form now but I am wondering if I will get any offers...
Hi there:smile:,

I suggest that you wait an apply next year:smile: If you work hard throughout this year and achieve higher A-level grades, then that will look much better on your UCAS when applying so you would eventually end up studying in a better uni!

TAKE A GAP YEAR!

:smile:

-please check out my question, I think you might be able to help:smile:
Original post by Rhema
Okay so I want to do biomedical science at University however my AS results were very bad as I did next to no revision and had absolutely no motivation. My results were:
A - Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
C - Biology
D - Maths (A in C1 and S1, but a U in C2 - I am going to retake the C2 module and hopefully get a B/A so I can get an A overall)
D - Chemistry

At the moment I am doing Maths/Chemistry/Biology at A2 and I am studying/revising/doing notes for all the work from last year, so that when the exams next summer come around I will do much better.

Most people in my college are applying to University for 2017 entry, though I am not sure if I should even bother. My grades do not meet the entry requirements for most biomedical science courses, and therefore I am wondering if it is even worth it too apply now. To be honest, I do not really want to take a gap year as I feel like it is a waste of time, however I do not know if I will get any offers with my current AS grades. Someone help?

Imo wait till you get the grades and apply from a position of strength. You could try and get soemwhere in clearing, but id go to the place i wnated to with the good grades you should ensure you get. Earn money in your gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest