Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Corbyn's reshuffle - Diane Abbott now Shadow Home Secretary

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn has reshuffled his shadow cabinet. Diane Abbott is now Shadow Home Secretary. Shami Chakrabarti (I mean, Baroness Chakrabarti of Two-Face-on-Thames) is Shadow Attorney-General.

Corbyn took one of the few supporters he has who might have anything resembling credibility, Clive Lewis, and moved him out of defence to become business secretary. That is to punish him for having followed the party's agreed policy on Trident. In his place, Corbyn installed a Welsh school teacher called Nia Griffith, a woman who has never had any sort of ministerial or major political responsibility in her life (her campaign to support the Welsh cockles doesn't count). I suppose from Corbyn's perspective the upside is that she has been a lifelong unilateralist and thus shares his fringe views on Trident.

Corbyn also sacked Rosie Winterton as chief whip; she was widely respected and considered to be a conciliator between the leader's office and the PLP. In her place Corbyn has appointed the shabby opportunist Nick Brown (almost certainly because Brown was chief whip in the Blair/Brown years and so he knows where the skeletons are buried)

The one appointment of any worth is Sir Keir Starmer, who is Shadow Brexit Secretary; I think his calculation is that it is so important to have real opposition and scrutiny to Tory policy on this that it is worth serving in Jezbollah's shadow cabinet.

But for the most part, it is a parade of no-hopers; people who aren't even a household name in their own household. Corbyn has made a big mistake; he thought he could stick the moderates in the eye by hypocritically (do as I say, not as I do) refusing to bring back shadow cabinet elections. But all he has done is alienate pretty much all of the serious, credible people in the PLP. He's guaranteed another leadership challenge in 2017.

Anyway, what do you think TSRians? Is this a good move or not? The reshuffle isn't finished yet, some people say it will be finished by Christmas so that is something.

KimKallstrom

ReputationRep:
    The Chakrobarty thing is an absolute scandal. I know Corbynistas who are appalled by it.

I think the worse thing about it though is that none of his opponents have defected or resigned but have just glumly accepted it whilst morning in the sidelines and thinking that it is going to go away. 2020 is too far away, and if by some weird act Corbyn did win what would they do then?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this shows that people willing to brush aside blatant anti-semitism within the party are to be rewarded handsomely. *Agreeing with Trident - even though it's the overall view held by the party - *gets you demoted. All this about Corbyn respecting other people's views is a load of guff really isn't it? He'll demote assets and promote non-entities on the basis that they support/don't support his ridiculous opinions. And people still claim Labour is electable with him as leader? Yeah pull the other one.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    The Chakrobarty thing is an absolute scandal. I know Corbynistas who are appalled by it.
    And for me it's not only the outrageous whitewash followed by the obvious pay-off; it's also the idea of suing a House of Lords appointment to install an unelected crony onto the front bench.

I don't think at any point in the first or second Cameron ministry there was a peer in the cabinet except for the Leader of the government in the House of Lords. Corbyn's use of a lords appointment to avoid one of his supporters having to face the voters is completely hypocritical. Though since Corbyn became leader we have seen him do a complete turnaround on issues that relate to the powers of the leader (for example, used to call for annual leadership elections; now calls those who want a challenge disloyal. Used to support shad cab elections, now opposes it as it will reduce his power).

I think the worse thing about it though is that none of his opponents have defected or resigned but have just glumly accepted it whilst morning in the sidelines and thinking that it is going to go away. 2020 is too far away, and if by some weird act Corbyn did win what would they do then?
    What could they do? I don't think Corbyn can win though. I think what is more likely is a 2018 challenge from someone like Jarvis (he's been keeping his powder dry); he will jump into the ring when people are really starting to feel Corbyn fatigue. Give it another couple of years of gaffes, incompetence and indifference to electoral success and all of those supporters who are capable of rational thought will start to peel away (I hope). Otherwise Labour is ****ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Corbyn has reshuffled his shadow cabinet. Diane Abbott is now Shadow Home Secretary. Shami Chakrabarti (I mean, Baroness Chakrabarti of Two-Face-on-Thames) is Shadow Attorney-General.

Corbyn took one of the few supporters he has who might have anything resembling credibility, Clive Lewis, and moved him out of defence to become business secretary. That is to punish him for having followed the party's agreed policy on Trident. In his place, Corbyn installed a Welsh school teacher called Nia Griffith, a woman who has never had any sort of ministerial or major political responsibility in her life (her campaign to support the Welsh cockles doesn't count). I suppose from Corbyn's perspective the upside is that she has been a lifelong unilateralist and thus shares his fringe views on Trident.

Corbyn also sacked Rosie Winterton as chief whip; she was widely respected and considered to be a conciliator between the leader's office and the PLP. In her place Corbyn has appointed the shabby opportunist Nick Brown (almost certainly because Brown was chief whip in the Blair/Brown years and so he knows where the skeletons are buried)

The one appointment of any worth is Sir Keir Starmer, who is Shadow Brexit Secretary; I think his calculation is that it is so important to have real opposition and scrutiny to Tory policy on this that it is worth serving in Jezbollah's shadow cabinet.

But for the most part, it is a parade of no-hopers; people who aren't even a household name in their own household. Corbyn has made a big mistake; he thought he could stick the moderates in the eye by hypocritically (do as I say, not as I do) refusing to bring back shadow cabinet elections. But all he has done is alienate pretty much all of the serious, credible people in the PLP. He's guaranteed another leadership challenge in 2017.

Anyway, what do you think TSRians? Is this a good move or not? The reshuffle isn't finished yet, some people say it will be finished by Christmas so that is something.

KimKallstrom
    Chakrabati addressed the Union at Cambridge, and I didn't buy her then, but then I've never been a great fan of moral outrage. I agree with your view on Sir Keir, but how the hell he expects a moderate, sensible voice such as his to be heard over the din of snow being kicked off bolshevik boots, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Connor27's existing thread no good?

ReputationRep:
    What could they do?

Defect/ resign/ form a new party

It will take a decade for Labour to because credible again, why waste that time, energy and talent not to mention put up with abuse in the hope that someday the corbynistas will depart en masse and allow someone who will condemn Corbyn the same way Blair Is condemned now?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.