2017 Oxford Modern Languages Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I thought I'd make a thread for those of us applying for Modern Languages at Oxford for 2017 entry seeing as I can't find one anywhere.

A few icebreaker questions:
    1. GCSEs/AS grades/Predicted grades?
    2. Which A-levels are you doing?
    3. Which language(s) are you applying for?
    4. Which other universities are you applying to?
    5. Which part of the application process are you most worried about?

I guess I'll kick things off:
    1. GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
    AS: A in French (the rest of my A-levels are linear so I'll do them this year)
    Predicted grades: A*A*A D3 (in Pre-U - a D3 is in between an A and an A* I believe)
    2. French, fine art, English lit and Mandarin Pre-U
    3. French and ab initio Italian!
    4. Warwick, UCL, Leeds and York
    5. I'm really freaking out about the entrance exam; I feel like that'll be the reason if I'm rejected haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scoutingfinches)
    Hello! I thought I'd make a thread for those of us applying for Modern Languages at Oxford for 2017 entry seeing as I can't find one anywhere.

I guess I'll kick things off:
    1. GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
    AS: A in French (the rest of my A-levels are linear so I'll do them this year)
    Predicted grades: A*A*A D3 (in Pre-U - a D3 is in between an A and an A* I believe)
    2. French, fine art, English lit and Mandarin Pre-U
    3. French and ab initio Italian!
    4. Warwick, UCL, Leeds and York
    5. I'm really freaking out about the entrance exam; I feel like that'll be the reason if I'm rejected haha
    Hi!!

1. GCSEs: 10 A*s, 3 As / AS: 5 As (including general studies lol) / predictions: A*A*AA (including general studies as one of the As)
    2. French, English lit, Classical Civilisation
    3. French and ab initio Italian
    4. UCL, Leeds, Durham and Bristol (at the moment, haven't added them into my UCAS application yet)
    5. Honestly all of it but at the moment probably the interview, although the language aptitude part of the test is terrifying af

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I am from Scotland so we have National 5's instead of GCSEs (we take 8 or 6 of these) and then Highers (5 subjects) and finally Advanced Highers (normally 3 but I am doing 4) and the highest grade we can get is an A!

1. 8 A's at Nat 5
    5 A's at Higher
    4 A's predicted for Advanced Higher
    2. French, German, Music and RMPS
    3. French and German
    4. St Andrews, Newcastle, Royal Holloway and Aberdeen
    5. The test 😰 We get dictionaries for our exams in Scotland so I am a bit worried for the test!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Thought I would chime in. Applying for 2017 entry, post gap-year.

1. 15 A*'s
    2. 3 A*'s and 2 A's (Russian, Biology, Music, Chemistry and Maths respectively)
    3. Russian and German/ Russian and International Relations
    4. UCL, St. Andrew's, Queen Mary and Birmingham
    5. Interview: no-brainer

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

1. i got 4 A* and 7As, i got AAAB with the B in german for AS and i'm predicted AAAA
    2. German, Media, History, English literature and language
    3. German with Arabic ab initio
    4. Exeter, Warwick, UCL, Durham
    5. getting an offer is hard enough, but if i do get one, getting an A in German would be even harder

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

1) For GCSE I got 9A*s and 1A, at AS I got 3As and an A in my Chemistry mock exam (I didn't take the AS since it's a reformed subject) and my predicted grades are A*A*A
    2) I did AS Maths, and for A2 I am doing French, German and Chemistry
    3) French and German
    4) Durham, St Andrews, Liverpool and Leeds
    5) Definitely the interview!

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find the MLAT? Personally I thought French was ok (the French to English translations were a dream) but I found it really hard to process the LAT and ended up only completing about 80% of the paper in the allocated time but otherwise I think it was alright and only a moderately traumatic experience. What about for other languages?

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find the MLAT? Personally I thought French was ok (the French to English translations were a dream) but I found it really hard to process the LAT and ended up only completing about 80% of the paper in the allocated time but otherwise I think it was alright and only a moderately traumatic experience. What about for other languages?
    Hey I did the LAT too. I thought, out of all the LATs I'd practiced, this one was the hardest. I got it finished except for the last couple of answers because I didn't have time. But when I went to visit Oxford, I met a guy who did the test to get in. He told me "don't worry if you don't get the LAT finished, nobody does" so I wouldn't bother stressing out! He also underlined how hard he found it.

I actually quite enjoy the LAT it's like a puzzle

The worst thing about the French for me was that I know where I went wrong in some answers. I had a feeling at the time I was wrong, but now I'm sitting here CONSTANTLY thinking about all the mistakes I made. It's torture. But yes, the French to English translations were great, which is lucky because some of the ones I'd practiced were a pain in the arse.

ReputationRep:
    Yo
    1. GCSEs: 9A*s and an A*
    2. AS Grades: 4As
    3. Predicted Grades: A*A*A (plus an A* in my EPQ)
    4. French, English Literature, Ancient History
    5. French and ab initio Russian
    6. St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, Exeter
    7. Erm, all of it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought that the French one was alright as well (a few phrases I wasn't 100% on but I felt happy with all my answers), and I would say the German was on the same level of difficulty as the French. All in all I think it went well

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got interviews yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r9mmm)
    Has anyone got interviews yet?
    Not yet; the Brasenose account on the prospective applicants thread said they'd be going out tomorrow or Friday most likely but I'm guessing I'll probably be waiting longer since I applied to Wadham and they're being extremely slow with sending them out (I think they've only just sent out the law emails)

ReputationRep:
    Not yet; the Brasenose account on the prospective applicants thread said they'd be going out tomorrow or Friday most likely but I'm guessing I'll probably be waiting longer since I applied to Wadham and they're being extremely slow with sending them out (I think they've only just sent out the law emails)
    Everyone around me has been getting interviews from Oxbridge...so I'm just a bit anxious...It's less than two weeks away..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily May O)
    Hi, so I am from Scotland so we have National 5's instead of GCSEs (we take 8 or 6 of these) and then Highers (5 subjects) and finally Advanced Highers (normally 3 but I am doing 4) and the highest grade we can get is an A!

1. 8 A's at Nat 5
    5 A's at Higher
    4 A's predicted for Advanced Higher
    2. French, German, Music and RMPS
    3. French and German
    4. St Andrews, Newcastle, Royal Holloway and Aberdeen
    5. The test 😰 We get dictionaries for our exams in Scotland so I am a bit worried for the test!!
    Another Scottish applicant! Which college have you applied to?

Hey guys, I'm applying this year too. I'm from Scotland too, so it's gonna be a bit tricky to explain my grades haha

1. In 4th year I did National 5s (2014/15) and got 4As and a B (I sat Higher Music early and got an A), in fifth year I did my highers which I got 5As in (French, German, Spanish, English and History)
    2. I believe the Scottish equivalent is Advanced Highers, which I am doing French, German, Spanish and Music (as well as higher Modern Studies)
    3. French and Spanish. It was going to be French and German, but the MLAT for German scared me off!
    4. Strathclyde (in Glasgow), Herriot-Watt (in Edinburgh), Edinburgh and St. Andrews.
    5. It was the MLAT, I felt that went horrific, however I have been invited for interview, so it couldn't have been that bad!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - just to let any applicants for Modern Languages at Worcester College know that invitations to interview are to be sent out on Monday (I've emailed Worcester's Admissions Officer)

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've applied English and French but I can't find another 2017 page so here I am..

1. GCSEs: 12A*s, AS: 4 As, predictions: A*A*A I think??
    2. English Lit, French, Spanish
    3. English and French
    4. Exeter, Warwick, Nottingham
    5. Was the exam, now the interview! I got my invitation on Friday evening so I'm super nervous now!!

ReputationRep:
    For those who are lucky enough to be invited to interview, what are you doing to prepare?

Also, apparently Modern Languages is a subject in which it is common to be notified of interviews from additional colleges before arriving. Have you all been invited to multiple colleges (at this stage)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student1429)
    For those who are lucky enough to be invited to interview, what are you doing to prepare?

Also, apparently Modern Languages is a subject in which it is common to be notified of interviews from additional colleges before arriving. Have you all been invited to multiple colleges (at this stage)?
    I'm running through my personal statement, thinking about questions they could ask me about it, practicing analysis of poems and passages, and also looking back at books I've read that I could draw on in the interview. I want that to be solid so that I can be focused if a question throws me off.

So far I've only heard from one college, Teddy Hall, although I was reallocated from Brasenose.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=scoutingfinches;67931000]Hello! I thought I'd make a thread for those of us applying for Modern Languages at Oxford for 2017 entry seeing as I can't find one anywhere.

1) GCSEs- 6A*s, 5As
    2) As levels-
    Geog A
    Spanish A
    Eng lit B
    Biology C (dropped it)
    A2-
    Italian A (did it a year early)
    Predicted: AAA
    3) Spanish
    4) Birmingham, Southampton, Sheffield, Leeds
    5) Interview...

Got my interview today! Terrifying!

ReputationRep:
    Interviews tomorrow... :eek::eek:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.