How to support someone whose mother is dying of cancer?

Announcements

Hi TSR

I know this is a very dark thread and I apologise if this is too much for TSR but I don't know what I should do for my friend in real life. I've known him since college and we went to the same university and I'm devastated that this is happening to him because he's such a lovely person. Basically he's found out today that his mother has gone from being given a year to live to 3-6 months. I've been meeting up with him to help him and discuss plans with him and trying to take his mind off it but I feel like this isn't enough. I know that this is a very difficult thing but any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps just let that person you're there for them?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly,there's nothing you can do to take away their pain (I know it's not nice to see a friend in pain) but knowing someone is there to talk to and planning something to do might give them a sense of normalcy for a few hours.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi TSR

I know this is a very dark thread and I apologise if this is too much for TSR but I don't know what I should do for my friend in real life. I've known him since college and we went to the same university and I'm devastated that this is happening to him because he's such a lovely person. Basically he's found out today that his mother has gone from being given a year to live to 3-6 months. I've been meeting up with him to help him and discuss plans with him and trying to take his mind off it but I feel like this isn't enough. I know that this is a very difficult thing but any advice would be appreciated
    Do you get on well with his mum?

If so visit her, be it in hopsital or at home.
    If or when she comes home be practical and help out, shopping, few chores etc.
    Go round for a cup of tea and be generally cheery. its about making the most of the time left and not being glum.
    Tiy cna reassure her that you will stay friends with her son and keep an eye on him.

For him it depends. You know his character what he's like when happy so maybe you are one of the few he trusts. Treat him as normal, keep him involved, but be there to listen if he has worries or just wnats to talk.

He needs to spend as much time with his mum as he can.
    He might need to come to terms about what will happen and how he can best deal with it for his own and his mums sake.
    Besides helping out then your real worth will come in the support you cna offer after she passes away.

http://www.cancer.net/coping-with-ca...who-has-cancer
    http://www.cancer.org/treatment/unde...ne-with-cancer
    http://www.macmillan.org.uk/informat...one-has-cancer
    https://www.reddit.com/r/socialskill...se_mother_has/

Thank you everyone, some good suggestions here. I'll try and do the best I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you everyone, some good suggestions here. I'll try and do the best I can
    The fact you ve asked for advice, shows that you re a very good friend to them so I m sure you ll find a way to help them

ReputationRep:
    Allow him to have a whinge / rant at you if he wishes.

Don't make every single conversation about his mum's illness / how he feels. Sometimes, he may need you as a distraction to get away from everything.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.