Did you get reject by any other Universities but accepted by Oxford?

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    If so Why?

*rejected* typo in the title

ReputationRep:
    I know several people in fact who were rejected by other universities (e.g. Southampton, UCL and Bristol if I recall correctly) but were accepted by Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I know several people in fact who were rejected by other universities (e.g. Southampton, UCL and Bristol if I recall correctly) but were accepted by Oxford.
    Why do you think this happens?

I'm a bit worried that other universities may suspect that I'm applying to Oxford due to early submission(plus my tutor mentioned in my reference that I'm the first pupil to apply to Oxford in my school) and might not give me an offer as a result?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)

I'm a bit worried that other universities may suspect that I'm applying to Oxford due to early submission(plus my tutor mentioned in my reference that I'm the first pupil to apply to Oxford in my school) and might not give me an offer as a result?
    I don't think that's something you should worry about. A university isn't going to reject somebody just because they think they're applying to Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)

The obvious reason why this happens is that Oxford has more detailed information, by the time they've added an admissions test and interviews to the original UCAS application, than other universities see. Another issue might be the A-level grade requirements. In Humanities and Social Sciences the standard offer at Oxford is AAA (because the tests, written work and interviews are thought to be more reliable) whereas for a number of high demand universities with only UCAS info to go on the offer is A*AA or even higher. Someone predicted AAA will be considered by Oxford but not by a University with an A*AA offer - then again, applicants predicted AAA shouldn't really apply to A*AA courses.

Universities are sometimes accused of rejecting good applicants who apply early on the grounds that the university believes they are Oxbridge candidates and won't accept an offer from the other university if they get an offer from Oxford or Cambridge. This theory doesn't hold water mainly because there is no earthly reason for a university to do that. They have nothing to lose by making offers to good candidates. Some of those offers will be declined in favour of an Oxbridge offer but many more will be declined because of preferred offers from ICL, Bristol, Bath etc. It would make no sense to not make offers to some of the best applicants precisely because they were the best applicants and they applied early.

ReputationRep:
    I only got into Oxford.

It was a medicine application and I was very poorly informed and under-prepared. Thankfully, Oxford's prioritising of academics got me through, but everywhere else not so much.

I do actually know of a situation where universities will automatically reject you if you did not put them as first choice, but it is not undergraduate or even a publicly-accessible applications process so not really worth going into.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.