Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Girls don't thank me when I wait for them to go through door?

Quite often when I give way to a girl to let her go through the door, she will avoid eye contact and just walk through without even saying anything. When I do it to guys they will usually say thanks. Does this mean i'm ugly or something?

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, why does it even matter if they say thank you or not? Do you want them to send you £50 Amazon gift voucher, wrap it up and attach a red bow to it or something?

You're being a gentleman by opening a door, don't do it just so that you can impress them and gain their approval

ReputationRep:
    no, it just means that we are friendlier than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Quite often when I give way to a girl to let her go through the door, she will avoid eye contact and just walk through without even saying anything. When I do it to guys they will usually say thanks. Does this mean i'm ugly or something?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    because they feel entitled to it - of course they're not going to say thank you. have you ever not held the door for a girl? sometimes they can get quite angry and it's quite funny...

ReputationRep:
    A lack of appreciation for your kindness does not take away from its value.

ReputationRep:
    No she's just rude. I smile and thank anyone who holds the door open for me/ lets me go first. You're a kind guy dw

Some people dont have manners. Stop getting a complex.

ReputationRep:
    I usually say thank you or smile if I have headphones in

ReputationRep:
    Just some people are rude unfortunately. It happens to me a lot too, but men nearly always say thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I held a door open for a bunch of people a couple of days ago and the one girl that came through at the end was the only person to thank me, clearly she wants my dick right?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Bloody hell, why does it even matter if they say thank you or not? Do you want them to send you £50 Amazon gift voucher, wrap it up and attach a red bow to it or something?

You're being a gentleman by opening a door, don't do it just so that you can impress them and gain their approval
    oh god :laugh:

So what?

ReputationRep:
    I usually get a thanks.

ReputationRep:
    They are probably shy or feel awkward about it. What's it matter?

ReputationRep:
    o.m.g?r u serious!
    just bc they don't say thank you doesn't mean ur ugly:facepalm:
    they are just impolite.And why should u hold open the door.You open the door,u go through it first,especially don't hold open the door to those impolite ppl.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about it too much. Some people just hold doors naturally - they don't care about appraisal or whatever. If someone's carrying something, I usually open the door for them - unless in the spontaneous heat of the moment I forget or "just didn't".

Besides, I would say that not many people in general actually do say thank you, but they might think it in their minds. Also, the frequency of the amount of girls not saying thanks relatively to what happens elsewhere is probably similar.

In short, it's no big deal. Don't think of holding the doors as something to be thanked for.

ReputationRep:
    They're probably interpreting it as some faux-nice guy gesture by a beta-menchen who secretly wants to inspect their undergarments (with or without them present). Chicks dig genuine chivalry, but you need to hold yourself a certain way, or else stop bothering with the ungrateful wenches! :horse:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.