Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

600 ums in Maths? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys , just wondering if any of yous had good tips for trying to get as close as posisble to the full ums in maths - 600.

Im aiming for 600 as its the highest,so even if i fall short i shoudl have a very good score hopefully.

any advice for this, apart from the typical do past papers - which i most certainly will do

thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Read mark schemes for the past papers you do, even if you got the answer right, so you know what you should have done in your method to get method marks.
    Don't spend too much of your time doing loads of easy questions- identify the types of questions you struggle with and do every question on that topic you can find, including on other exam boards.
    Make sure you don't waste marks by not knowing the answers to the "wordy" questions (I lost 3 marks (5 UMS) on S2 on them)
    (maths: 591/600, further: 589/600)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejteb)
    Read mark schemes for the past papers you do, even if you got the answer right, so you know what you should have done in your method to get method marks.
    Don't spend too much of your time doing loads of easy questions- identify the types of questions you struggle with and do every question on that topic you can find, including on other exam boards.
    Make sure you don't waste marks by not knowing the answers to the "wordy" questions (I lost 3 marks (5 UMS) on S2 on them)
    (maths: 591/600, further: 589/600)
    thanks for the advice.

also , do you think it is possibly to self teach 6 modules of further maths within 6 months? alongside doing 3 other a levels?? a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathSci1999)
    thanks for the advice.

also , do you think it is possibly to self teach 6 modules of further maths within 6 months? alongside doing 3 other a levels?? a
    It's possible, but depends on which modules you want to teach yourself, and how much time you had. I taught myself D2 in around 6 hours over the summer holidays. However it is important to have someone else to mark some of your past papers for you, otherwise it's very easy to be too easy on yourself.

Have you looked at the further maths support program http://furthermaths.org.uk/ I haven't used them but they may have some useful resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejteb)
    It's possible, but depends on which modules you want to teach yourself, and how much time you had. I taught myself D2 in around 6 hours over the summer holidays. However it is important to have someone else to mark some of your past papers for you, otherwise it's very easy to be too easy on yourself.

Have you looked at the further maths support program http://furthermaths.org.uk/ I haven't used them but they may have some useful resources.
    which modules do you sugest in my circumstances?

also how does the A* in further maths work?
    thanks for the help, once again
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Just do lots and lots and lots of past papers. Ultimately there's always going to be an element of luck involved because grade boundaries are generally very high in maths which means that losing a single mark will stop you from getting full UMS but doing as many past papers as possible will minimise that risk.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers, past papers, past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathSci1999)
    which modules do you sugest in my circumstances?

also how does the A* in further maths work?
    thanks for the help, once again
    Depends which ones you've already done at school/are currently doing- from my experience Decision are easiest, then Stats then Mechanics then the Further Pure, (as in Decision and Stats the questions are all very similar, whereas in Mechanics and FP there's more scope for a completely different question, however it's easier to lose silly marks in Decision and Stats for numerical mistakes or on wordy questions).

Your top 3 A2 modules (ie. top 3 of D2, S2, S3, S4, M2, M3, M4, FP2, FP3) need to be on average at least 90% UMS, while getting at least 80% UMS average over all 6 modules which count towards your further maths.

You need to do FP1 and one of FP2 and FP3 to get further maths A2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.