Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Is it possible to get a part-time grad-level job/internship?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an undergrad in my second year. Ideally I'd like to do a masters after I graduate. It would be in an arts subject and purely for my own personal enjoyment, not to advance my career. Because of this, I'd ideally like to do it part-time while also working and building some experience in a professional field. Is this possible? Obviously not through official grad schemes but maybe I'd be able to negotiate something with a smaller company?

Advice welcome, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedral)
    I'm currently doing an undergrad in my second year. Ideally I'd like to do a masters after I graduate. It would be in an arts subject and purely for my own personal enjoyment, not to advance my career. Because of this, I'd ideally like to do it part-time while also working and building some experience in a professional field. Is this possible? Obviously not through official grad schemes but maybe I'd be able to negotiate something with a smaller company?

Advice welcome, thanks.
    Almost anything is possible. Is it likely? No, very unlikely. Most employers will expect full time work for junior staff in early career roles. Part time work is a model that work either for low skilled work where it is perfectly easy to get multiple staff to do the same job, because there is no need for continuity of knowledge eg retail, anything customer service related, or it's a model (forced?) on employers to retain highly experienced staff for who would be very hard to replace. A new entry graduate in a graduate/professional role is neither of those things. Their role probably needs doing full-time, they ned the continuity in teh role to build the right foundation for a career, and to be effective, but they have no specific skill set that makes it worth going to the additional cost and effort fo what effectively will be a job-share situation.

There might be some niche exceptions to this, depending on your sector, but by and large, this isn't going to work.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.