The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think some of the main oppsoition to the ban is country people hitting out at a government in London telling them what to do when there are more important things to be addressed.
Reply 21
Oh I agree! Healthcare, Education, Transport all come 2nd to Labour when fox hunting is concerned. What more could we expect from Tony?
oooh my heart bleeds for them.

well they should learn to stop depending on it then and stop whining

wiwarin_mir
I would just say that banning fox hunting will result in many people in rural area losing their livelyhoods. It is all well to say how cruel and antiquated fox hunting is when we are in urban areas, but some rural people depend on it.
BloodyValentine
how so?

Well to put it simply. In the past to be an army officer you had to hunt. Just think about that. Nevermind the kings and prime ministers etc which ran the country in the past which also happened to hunt.
NaomiInSuffolk
oooh my heart bleeds for them.

well they should learn to stop depending on it then and stop whining

Well, if dog handling had been your family's business for several generations and it was all you know how to do, would you want to change. Don't forget that most of the hounds would have to be destroyed as well, as they would be redundant.
Reply 25
Scottus_Mus
I don't think it should go full stop because at heart I am a traditionalist and would want to keep part of our heritage. Although I think that there should be guidelines set out i.e. to stop the breeding of foxes to be killed in hunts. The foxes killed should be vermin and a nuisance and not bred for the sport.

It's is illegal to breed foxes for hunting (in fact i think it's illegal anyway) but some hunts have been prosecuted for it.
Joey_Johns
Well to put it simply. In the past to be an army officer you had to hunt. Just think about that. Nevermind the kings and prime ministers etc which ran the country in the past which also happened to hunt.

right so your argument is that if hunting didn't exist there would be no army officers or kings etc.... i'm thinking, nope i still don't see how not being able to hunt (in the modern day sense i.e chasing foxes not for example catching rabbit which i think is fine as long as you eat them) would result in the me not existing do you really think that if there were no hunting there would be no army officers? just because to go back to my maths here a -> b it doesn't mean that b -> a
BloodyValentine
right so your argument is that if hunting didn't exist there would be no army officers or kings etc.... i'm thinking, nope i still don't see how not being able to hunt (in the modern day sense i.e chasing foxes not for example catching rabbit which i think is fine as long as you eat them) would result in the me not existing do you really think that if there were no hunting there would be no army officers? just because to go back to my maths here a -> b it doesn't mean that b -> a

No that is not my arguement. Hunting existed, end of story. Hunting was the biggest single social event for hundreds of years within the upper classes, so yes without hunting there would have been far less army officers. DO some research before you get all tree huggerish.
Joey_Johns
No that is not my arguement. Hunting existed, end of story. Hunting was the biggest single social event for hundreds of years within the upper classes, so yes without hunting there would have been far less army officers. DO some research before you get all tree huggerish.

sorry i still don't see how without hunting as a social event there would be less army officers
BloodyValentine
sorry i still don't see how without hunting as a social event there would be less army officers

Ok, lets bring it to your level. Watch some of Sean Beans Sharp and you might get the picture.
Joey_Johns
Ok, lets bring it to your level. Watch some of Sean Beans Sharp and you might get the picture.

That's your research Sharp? wow. And please do not call me tree huggerish just because i oppose the killing of foxes as a sport it does not mean i go out and hug trees that's just your pathetic way of dealing with people who care about the enviroment and oppose your views
BloodyValentine
That's your research Sharp? wow. And please do not call me tree huggerish just because i oppose the killing of foxes as a sport it does not mean i go out and hug trees that's just your pathetic way of dealing with people who care about the enviroment and oppose your views

Sharp is very historically accurate. Like I said, it brings it to your level, maybe then you would understand. But then again, maybe not.

Once a tree hugger, always a tree hugger :smile:
Reply 32
It should be stopped - Foxs are intelligent creatures.
Joey_Johns
Sharp is very historically accurate. Like I said, it brings it to your level, maybe then you would understand. But then again, maybe not.

Thereby implying what that i'm stupid for believing that the environment should be protected, pathetic
Reply 34
I don't think the "it's our livelihoods" argument is remotely solid. Everybody else is expected to thrive in a dynamic, changing economy, why not a few toffs in the countryside? Life will clearly go on for these people if it's banned, and if it isn't then it's their own faults for being stubborn.

Has any analysis taken place of Scotland after the ban?
fishpaste
I don't think the "it's our livelihoods" argument is remotely solid. Everybody else is expected to thrive in a dynamic, changing economy, why not a few toffs in the countryside? Life will clearly go on for these people if it's banned, and if it isn't then it's their own faults for being stubborn.

Has any analysis taken place of Scotland after the ban?

It is not the toffs who look after the dogs or the horses for that matter.
Reply 36
Joey_Johns

It's Sharpe - with an e.

Oh and ITV are planning a new series, this one set in India.
Reply 37
wiwarin_mir
It is not the toffs who look after the dogs or the horses for that matter.

Okay, they can still adapt.
fishpaste
Okay, they can still adapt.

If someone took away something you had survived on for years, would you be able to adapt just like that?
Reply 39
wiwarin_mir
If someone took away something you had survived on for years, would you be able to adapt just like that?

Let's legalise drug dealing then. Many people rely on it for income.

Latest

Trending

Trending