Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need urgent help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I will start this thread by explaining how my schedule works and then I will explain what is my problem.

I wake up at 7am and have classes at 9 until 1pm. Then I go to work part time until 5pm and then im back at home. I rest until 7 and then I study until 9pm, then I take another brake and study again, usually i go to sleep around midnight.

So, I am enrolled into 4 classes in college and I have to read at least 30 pages (sometimes more) before each class, because they make short quizes each class. Or they make you participate in class, so you have to read the required readings every day. That is like 100 pages every day, let alone writing papers and essays, and I CANT find enough time to read everything, and if I read it, I cant retain most of it and I feel totally lost in class and tests. Even knowing that I am doing my best.

What things do you suggest I could do to make the best profit of my situation?

PS: I am a freshman. I have a family, is not like I can quit job, because I cant.

ReputationRep:
    You're lying to yourself; 2 hours is way too much time for resting
    . If you still can't keep up with uni, quit your part time job.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by bryansilva10)
    Ok, I will start this thread by explaining how my schedule works and then I will explain what is my problem.

I wake up at 7am and have classes at 9 until 1pm. Then I go to work part time until 5pm and then im back at home. I rest until 7 and then I study until 9pm, then I take another brake and study again, usually i go to sleep around midnight.

So, I am enrolled into 4 classes in college and I have to read at least 30 pages (sometimes more) before each class, because they make short quizes each class. Or they make you participate in class, so you have to read the required readings every day. That is like 100 pages every day, let alone writing papers and essays, and I CANT find enough time to read everything, and if I read it, I cant retain most of it and I feel totally lost in class and tests. Even knowing that I am doing my best.

What things do you suggest I could do to make the best profit of my situation?

PS: I am a freshman. I have a family, is not like I can quit job, because I cant.
    You have 20 classes a week, every week? Thats 600 pages a week reading?

I would be surprised if your colleagues are reading 600 pages a week. Thye probably know how to work smarter, focus on what really needs to be learned and make good notes.

I would expect other people manage it, just by working smarter, learning to make notes quickly and not worrying about in lecture testing. Your essays are what will need the work.

You also have the weekends. plus 4-5h a day in the evenings. You will also have holidays.

If you cnat keep up and you are doing all the above (others manage) then consider going p/t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You have 20 classes a week, every week? Thats 600 pages a week reading?

I would be surprised if your colleagues are reading 600 pages a week. Thye probably know how to work smarter, focus on what really needs to be learned and make good notes.

I would expect other people manage it, just by working smarter, learning to make notes quickly and not worrying about in lecture testing. Your essays are what will need the work.

You also have the weekends. plus 4-5h a day in the evenings. You will also have holidays.

If you cnat keep up and you are doing all the above (others manage) then consider going p/t.
    More like 10 classes a week, im enrolled in 4 classes but i just have 2 per day. So, its around 100-200 pages per week. I think I stated it wrong haha.
    The thing is that the in lecture testing are graded and all the professors teach assuming that we have already read the topic at home. So its frustrating me because I cant keep up. But what you said sounds like I just have to manage my time even better. Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

More like 10 classes a week, im enrolled in 4 classes but i just have 2 per day. So, its around 100-200 pages per week. I think I stated it wrong haha.
    The thing is that the in lecture testing are graded and all the professors teach assuming that we have already read the topic at home. So its frustrating me because I cant keep up. But what you said sounds like I just have to manage my time even better. Thanks.
    I think you have plenty of time to manage that.
    Leanr to make good notes and read efficiently.
    Use your weekends and get ahenad, then stay ahead. Think you have plenty of time. Reading smarter will help you focus on whats importnat and what is not. If you are a returner to education then you just have to practice.

ReputationRep:
    do you work everyday? don't you have days off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I think you have plenty of time to manage that.
    Leanr to make good notes and read efficiently.
    Use your weekends and get ahenad, then stay ahead. Think you have plenty of time. Reading smarter will help you focus on whats importnat and what is not. If you are a returner to education then you just have to practice.
    Thank you, yes, I am returning to education. I graduated highschool 8 years ago, and since then i just have taken small courses, nothing like college before. I guess I will just get use to it again, plus, english is not my first language and I am doing this in english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello654321)
    do you work everyday? don't you have days off?
    Yeah, I work everyday except Sunday.
    • Very Important Poster

Thank you, yes, I am returning to education. I graduated highschool 8 years ago, and since then i just have taken small courses, nothing like college before. I guess I will just get use to it again, plus, english is not my first language and I am doing this in english.
    Dont get paranoid. Just work hard make good notes and keep improving your organisation so you get the work done. The ones not working will probably be working a lot less than you, its because they worry less and know what the min is they have to do. There should be books available for retuning students that teach you basic study skills.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.