Turn on thread page Beta

Broken traffic lights?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming it's a cross road? All traffic could have been on red lights whilst the pedestrian lights were green?

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly a cross road, no. It's a bit difficult to explain, it's like...well...three quarters of a cross road but not all spaced out symmetrically Sorry for the poor explanation!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah anything is possible with traffic lights!

I came across a temporary set at some road works on a fast A road, which would require me to cross onto other lane in order to get past them. The lights showed green to me but there was something about the oncoming traffic that didn't look right, so i stopped. Sure enough the traffic came through the roadworks at great speed. When it was clear to go, i went through. Looking in my mirrors the other lights weren't working. I felt it was in such a dangerous place that i called the police.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sounds nasty! Well done for spotting the oddness of the situation and stopping, could have been disastrous otherwise! :eek: hopefully something was done about it soon after you called as I can imagine other drivers not being so observant as you were!

ReputationRep:
    The only 2 times I've come across broken traffic lights, the first time there was a sign showing the traffic lights were out and the second time there was a copper directing traffic

ReputationRep:
    Well done for stopping, that's what you are meant to do. Stop, look and go if clear - same drill as usual.

ReputationRep:
    technically no-one has priority at broken traffic lights, so its every man for themselves, and be wary of the nutters and d!ckheads pushing through.

:ditto: treat it as a normal junction/cross roads/whatever without traffic lights ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    It's quite funny, because you have the people who panic and freeze up and have no idea what to do and the people that just either don't realise or don't care.

I'd hate to think what would happen if there was a huge power cut to the whole country.

ReputationRep:
    traffic lights are stupid things - i spent pushing 5minutes waiting for the green light but three times the cycle went round and my road was missed (i kno the pattern as i use the road reguarly). Finally i got fed up - it was v late and there hadnt been a single car go past so i just went. Halfway across my side turns green! where is the logic?!

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand why broken traffic lights aren't fixed immediately - as soon as it's noticed that they're broken (and it's not going to be long, is it, people are using the road all the time), people should be sent out to fix them immediately. It should be a priority - if they're left, it's going to lead to accidents. Oh it annoys me!

(Original post by abc101)
    I can't understand why broken traffic lights aren't fixed immediately - as soon as it's noticed that they're broken (and it's not going to be long, is it, people are using the road all the time), people should be sent out to fix them immediately. It should be a priority - if they're left, it's going to lead to accidents. Oh it annoys me!
    I agree but I think it's a lot easier said than done :sadnod:

(Original post by NickNack)
    traffic lights are stupid things - i spent pushing 5minutes waiting for the green light but three times the cycle went round and my road was missed (i kno the pattern as i use the road reguarly). Finally i got fed up - it was v late and there hadnt been a single car go past so i just went. Halfway across my side turns green! where is the logic?!
    :topic: but I gave you a fourth gem! :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilian)
    :topic: but I gave you a fourth gem! :blushing:
    well it was v loosly related, lol. but woo to a fourth gem!!

ReputationRep:
    i believe on some lights, there are sensors either on the road or on the lights so they know whether a car is there waiting. so, if your car cannot be seen by these sensors, or you haven't rolled your car close enough to the white line (or lights) they will not change.
    my mom told me of a story when she was in a car, and the driver started reversing and pulling the car forward, and this apparently was because of the sensors.

i've never come across some lights that wouldn't change. it seems weird how they could fail, as they are there for safety reasons (ie get stuck on red..).
    i do know a set of lights down by some 4 way cross roads that like to switch off.. so you have cars coming from 4 different directions.

ReputationRep:
    theres a switch and code used by police to stop all traffic lights on red. perhaps youve been effected by teens stiring trouble.

get a picture of what sort of traffic lights they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewis321)
    theres a switch and code used by police to stop all traffic lights on red. perhaps youve been effected by teens stiring trouble.

get a picture of what sort of traffic lights they are
    For real? How do they operate the switch?

ReputationRep:
    type the s.o.s code into the traffic lights.....

actually i think they replaced the code becuase of people mucking up the system. now its a key its located on the bottom of the box

ReputationRep:
    this regularly happens in a town near me except all the lights fail about 3/4 sets of them and its literally a free for all!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.