OCR Computing GCSE Coursework

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    What do I have to do to get full (or high) marks in my coursework?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debx)
    What do I have to do to get full (or high) marks in my coursework?
    Hi,

From what I've learned from doing my coursework is that it's not really about the programming. Obviously, you will have to make a program that works efficiently, but make sure you log everything, and explain everything. When doing testing or flow diagrams, ensure you explain the purpose of them. Also, make sure you reference any websites you have used, and include a bibliography as well.

Hope that helped,
    A

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing 9-1 or the unreformed GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing OCR Computing coursework, are you doing it on Python or Java Script? Anyways, make sure you screenshot everything, your code, the errors you made and how you fixed them, you running and testing your code etc. If you only do Task 1 you can only get a C, if you do Task 1 and 2 the max you can get is a B and to get an A/A* you must do all three tasks. This includes not just the code but the analysis, pseudocode (your code written in standard English), a flow chart and evaluation. Basically just make sure your code is a report: you identify and analyse the problem, you plan how to solve the problem, you solve it then you evaluate it. Go to the OCR website for the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    I was beaten to this, most of it has been covered.
    For the testing ensure that it is tested at different stages throughout the development. Also make sure that you try to find ways to break the program.

For each stage in development annotate screenshots of the code explaining briefly what each part of the code does.

And make sure that you show the examiner your code is doing what the task requires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwendo)
    Are you doing 9-1 or the unreformed GCSE
    I'm doing the unreformed Gcse so it hasn't changed for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwin.sm)
    Hi,

From what I've learned from doing my coursework is that it's not really about the programming. Obviously, you will have to make a program that works efficiently, but make sure you log everything, and explain everything. When doing testing or flow diagrams, ensure you explain the purpose of them. Also, make sure you reference any websites you have used, and include a bibliography as well.

Hope that helped,
    A
    Thanks, I find the testing and evaluation to be the most difficult. What kind of stuff did you add to your test log?

ReputationRep:
    can someone give me the link to the PDF questions sheet, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david.rodrigues)
    I'm also doing OCR Computing coursework, are you doing it on Python or Java Script? Anyways, make sure you screenshot everything, your code, the errors you made and how you fixed them, you running and testing your code etc. If you only do Task 1 you can only get a C, if you do Task 1 and 2 the max you can get is a B and to get an A/A* you must do all three tasks. This includes not just the code but the analysis, pseudocode (your code written in standard English), a flow chart and evaluation. Basically just make sure your code is a report: you identify and analyse the problem, you plan how to solve the problem, you solve it then you evaluate it. Go to the OCR website for the mark scheme.
    Thanks for the advice and I'm doing my coursework on Python. I don't find writing or developing my algorithm to be hard, its the testing and evaluation that gets me. I've done Task 1 and 2 but Task 3 testing and evaluation is long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EGIK)
    I was beaten to this, most of it has been covered.
    For the testing ensure that it is tested at different stages throughout the development. Also make sure that you try to find ways to break the program.

For each stage in development annotate screenshots of the code explaining briefly what each part of the code does.

And make sure that you show the examiner your code is doing what the task requires.
    What should I do if I haven't been testing throughout the developing process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debx)
    What should I do if I haven't been testing throughout the developing process?
    It shouldnt matter too much

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.