The Student Room Group

EU National, living in UK for the last 2,5 years, and willing to study in Scotland

Hi guys,

I am an EU national, and I have been staying in London in temporary basis in order to do a MRes and then work for a while as a part time. Now I would like to shift my career from Chemist to Biomedical by following a Bachelor course in a Scottish university. Is this something that SAAS can cover? I have been reading the documentation regarding residence [1] and eligibility [2,3] but it seems to me that my case is quite unique, unless I am a clear EU case, but I'm over complicating things. Any opinions regarding my case?

Thank you in advance.

[1] http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf
[2] http://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/eu/eligibility.htm
[3] http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-scotland/
Reply 1
Prior to living in London, were you ordinarily resident in the EU? If yes, you'll be funded. If no, it'll be a bit more complicated, contact them directly. Keep in mind that due to Brexit, fee funding may change drastically for EU students - this'll be announced by March, apparently. Either way you should contact SAAS.
Reply 2
Original post by trythis
Prior to living in London, were you ordinarily resident in the EU? If yes, you'll be funded. If no, it'll be a bit more complicated, contact them directly. Keep in mind that due to Brexit, fee funding may change drastically for EU students - this'll be announced by March, apparently. Either way you should contact SAAS.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes born and raised in an EU country. I have emailed them already but it takes a while to reply, I will try to call them as well.

As it regards brexit, I can't hide my worry as well to be honest.
Original post by epappas
Hi, thanks for the reply, yes born and raised in an EU country. I have emailed them already but it takes a while to reply, I will try to call them as well.

As it regards brexit, I can't hide my worry as well to be honest.

Have you already studied for a degree? You talk about being a chemist.
You will only be potentially eligible for having your fees paid and will not be entitled to apply for a miantenance loan.

I wouldnt worry about Brexit if you are planning to start within the next 2-3 years. Its unlikely to affect EU students who start their course within that time. It will take extensive negotiations and even then the UK may enter into a bilateral agreement with your home country.

I'm not so sure what is unique about your case? There are thousands of EU students who come here to study. Did I miss something?

ps you make the willing to study in Scotalnd like some sort of noble sacrifice and you are doing them a favour.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger

I wouldnt worry about Brexit if you are planning to start within the next 2-3 years. Its unlikely to affect EU students who start their course within that time. It will take extensive negotiations and even then the UK may enter into a bilateral agreement with your home country.

I spoke with a SAAS representative about this a month ago and Brexit is actually a very real worry. Only students who started 2016 have funding guaranteed; they're currently deciding if they'll be able to fund students starting in 2017, and 2018 is up in the air completely.
Original post by trythis
I spoke with a SAAS representative about this a month ago and Brexit is actually a very real worry. Only students who started 2016 have funding guaranteed; they're currently deciding if they'll be able to fund students starting in 2017, and 2018 is up in the air completely.

We will still be in the EU in 2017 and 2018. Highly unlikely any EU student who started on UK funding would be abandoned mid degree. SAAS are even less likely to act to the detriment of people in the EU considering their pro EU stance. I dont believe it would be legal to stop funding for students whilst we are still in the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest