Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Therapy not working?

ReputationRep:
    I have had issues with myself all my life, depression anxiety and a mild case of bipolar disorder. I have been given numerous pills and visited many doctors and they have always reffered me to some sort of psychologist or therapist. I tried a few years back and stayed for a year but it was of no use, i have tried to give is ago this year for the past 6months and even changed therapist but nothing seems to work, any advice on what i can do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    I have had issues with myself all my life, depression anxiety and a mild case of bipolar disorder. I have been given numerous pills and visited many doctors and they have always reffered me to some sort of psychologist or therapist. I tried a few years back and stayed for a year but it was of no use, i have tried to give is ago this year for the past 6months and even changed therapist but nothing seems to work, any advice on what i can do?
    For me it's only group therapy that had an impact. I don't know if it was just the timing or if that type of therapy for some reason just worked for me. I went in for day sessions so I think it was easier to make progress and not just do an hour of stuff then forget it and repeat it the next session. I also found that I responded better while I was on ADs eventhough i'm not sure I could really notice them helping me.

Hope that helped a bit. It can take a long time to find the right fit and you are not alone. You just need to keep looking at differrent options and keeping hope so you can stick with something for long enough to see if it works and not just give up the second you don't feel anything (i'm guilty of that). Best wishes. You deserve to be happy so please don't give up until you are even if it is hard

ReputationRep:
    I have had issues with myself all my life, depression anxiety and a mild case of bipolar disorder. I have been given numerous pills and visited many doctors and they have always reffered me to some sort of psychologist or therapist. I tried a few years back and stayed for a year but it was of no use, i have tried to give is ago this year for the past 6months and even changed therapist but nothing seems to work, any advice on what i can do?
    Sorry it's not working out for you - it's not for everyone, though I think it does help most people. Interesting that it didn't even help after changing therapist, hmmm.

Without meaning to pry too much, which therapies were you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    For me it's only group therapy that had an impact. I don't know if it was just the timing or if that type of therapy for some reason just worked for me. I went in for day sessions so I think it was easier to make progress and not just do an hour of stuff then forget it and repeat it the next session. I also found that I responded better while I was on ADs eventhough i'm not sure I could really notice them helping me.

Hope that helped a bit. It can take a long time to find the right fit and you are not alone. You just need to keep looking at differrent options and keeping hope so you can stick with something for long enough to see if it works and not just give up the second you don't feel anything (i'm guilty of that). Best wishes. You deserve to be happy so please don't give up until you are even if it is hard
    Thanks for that and yeah i am on ADs but i might try and find some group therapy stuff, thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Sorry it's not working out for you - it's not for everyone, though I think it does help most people. Interesting that it didn't even help after changing therapist, hmmm.

Without meaning to pry too much, which therapies were you doing?
    Psychotherapy and CBT

ReputationRep:
    Psychotherapy and CBT
    Hmm, interesting. I'm not sure why it's not working for you in that case I'm assuming you gave it your 100% effort and everything? In which case, there should have been the potential for some kinda impact.

That said: I'm currently in therapy for the third time (CBT first time, ACT second time, and this we're doing a formulation based on schema theory) and tbh, I've learnt more in 5 sessions with third therapist about myself and how I need to act/change, than I did in 9 months of CBT and 9 months of ACT :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, interesting. I'm not sure why it's not working for you in that case I'm assuming you gave it your 100% effort and everything? In which case, there should have been the potential for some kinda impact.

That said: I'm currently in therapy for the third time (CBT first time, ACT second time, and this we're doing a formulation based on schema theory) and tbh, I've learnt more in 5 sessions with third therapist about myself and how I need to act/change, than I did in 9 months of CBT and 9 months of ACT :dontknow:
    I did, it may be due to my inability to open up to people but then it stresses me out because I've been trying for years.

Well im glad to hear its working out for you hopefully you get what you want at the end of it

ReputationRep:
    I did, it may be due to my inability to open up to people but then it stresses me out because I've been trying for years.

Well im glad to hear its working out for you hopefully you get what you want at the end of it
    Well it's really hard to open up to people anyway, let alone in therapy! So don't be too hard on yourself :nah: I can see how it would be very frustrating for you though, that it doesn't seem to be doing anything

ReputationRep:
    Well it's really hard to open up to people anyway, let alone in therapy! So don't be too hard on yourself :nah: I can see how it would be very frustrating for you though, that it doesn't seem to be doing anything
    Hopefully I will figure something out but thanks for you help! X

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I will figure something out but thanks for you help! X
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help I do hope it works out for you though

ReputationRep:

Can I just say that I think it really sucks that there are so many useless therapists because first of all it means there are so many people stuck in this type of predicament where they've reached out for help and its just a huge waste of time. Secondly reaching out for help takes A LOT and if you get stuck with a *****y therapist the first time, it might make you think that therapy doesn't work at all and discourage you from reaching out again. When in fact if you get the right therapist then it could really make a massive difference in your life and even help you completely overcome all your mental health issues but unfortunately the good therapists are pretty rare (I'm super grateful that I had a great one on my second try). Its just so frustrating to know that so many useless therapists are getting employed and dealing with people who are so vulnerable and broken and they truly have no idea how to help those people. Like what is the point of them being there? It really angers me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Can I just say that I think it really sucks that there are so many useless therapists because first of all it means there are so many people stuck in this type of predicament where they've reached out for help and its just a huge waste of time. Secondly reaching out for help takes A LOT and if you get stuck with a *****y therapist the first time, it might make you think that therapy doesn't work at all and discourage you from reaching out again. When in fact if you get the right therapist then it could really make a massive difference in your life and even help you completely overcome all your mental health issues but unfortunately the good therapists are pretty rare (I'm super grateful that I had a great one on my second try). Its just so frustrating to know that so many useless therapists are getting employed and dealing with people who are so vulnerable and broken and they truly have no idea how to help those people. Like what is the point of them being there? It really angers me...
    Just to clarify: in my case it wasn't coz my therapists were bad, it was more that the type of therapy wasn't right, or they were giving therapy for a diagnosis that didn't fit me, but had been assigned to me anyway. Looks like my diagnosis may change imminently though, as a result of third lot of therapy :eek:

But yeah, 100% agree with everything you've written above. Just wanted to clarify that I've never had a bad therapist (bad counsellors, yes, but not with therapy)

ReputationRep:
    I have had issues with myself all my life, depression anxiety and a mild case of bipolar disorder. I have been given numerous pills and visited many doctors and they have always reffered me to some sort of psychologist or therapist. I tried a few years back and stayed for a year but it was of no use, i have tried to give is ago this year for the past 6months and even changed therapist but nothing seems to work, any advice on what i can do??
    I think something which has really helped me personally with my issues is finding hobbies and things I enjoy. I know its a cliche to give that sort of advice, but for me I go outdoors as much as I can, I enjoy wildlife so when I go for a walk and see deer, birds of prey etc. it helps my mood, and also the physical exercise as well of course. I also think finding a cause to be passionate about can help too, keeping your mind occupied and distracted can help with things. I also do a lot of volunteering and sometimes helping others and doing something rewarding can help your self-esteem etc. Plus it gets me out meeting new people.

I think sometimes if counselling/therapy isnt working, finding your ways of coping or "solutions" can help. Because then at least you know it feels right for you, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatesoup)
    I think something which has really helped me personally with my issues is finding hobbies and things I enjoy. I know its a cliche to give that sort of advice, but for me I go outdoors as much as I can, I enjoy wildlife so when I go for a walk and see deer, birds of prey etc. it helps my mood, and also the physical exercise as well of course. I also think finding a cause to be passionate about can help too, keeping your mind occupied and distracted can help with things. I also do a lot of volunteering and sometimes helping others and doing something rewarding can help your self-esteem etc. Plus it gets me out meeting new people.

I think sometimes if counselling/therapy isnt working, finding your ways of coping or "solutions" can help. Because then at least you know it feels right for you, if that makes sense?
    It does and i will indeed give it a try, its just stressful because you dedicate your time ans energy to something andyou expect something in return

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    I know I've been referred and switched to atleast 5 different therapists and all of them seem to do nothing i had found one who actually helped me out a bit but they ended up in a different city and the replacement therapist was of no help whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I guess sometimes it depends what we want from the counsellor. I've had a few which weren't flexible in their approach and ultimately they weren't good fit. But I wouldn't say they were completely useless as professionals. Therapy is such an individual experience because it relies on the relationship formed and on you as the client. Therefore it could take many attempts to fit the right therapist and the right therapy.

ReputationRep:
    Also not sure that all clients are made aware of therapeutic process..that even when it is working, the natural process Is to experience a dip between sessions as we take in what we discussed and it attempts to integrate into our presenting thinking. It also takes time to build robust coping strategies to counter negative ones, which means that the first few weeks and months can be quite tumultuous if you're trying to stop self harming, for instance, for the first time especially if you've been doing it for years.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.