Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

what is college life actually like?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am a 16 year old girl and I have just left school last summer and was meant to start college in September. Unfortunately, due to personal problems etc I couldn't do so. I need to retake my GCSES in college this year and yet to disuss a suitable college course for me with a careers advisor at college. Obviously I am joining a little late say 2 months later than classes started and I am dead nervous. A) I am upset and worried I missed out on how the new 16 year olds are introduced to college life plus its all nerve wracking for me that I have to catch up on both GCSE work and new college work already! Its such a bad start and I feel awful! But none of it is my fault.

I am scared I won't be able to gel into college life as its a huge step from school life. And I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT HOW COLLEGE WORKS!!! I am serious.

How big are the classes how many people in a typical uk college class?

Whats the classes like?

Whats the teachers like?

How does the day go? Is it like school?

I am so nervous I wont be able to make friends and be a complete failure.

Please help I cry everytime i think about it. I have a lot of self esteem and confidence issues too. So going somewhere like college mid year is very scary for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkpearl14)
    Hi I am a 16 year old girl and I have just left school last summer and was meant to start college in September. Unfortunately, due to personal problems etc I couldn't do so. I need to retake my GCSES in college this year and yet to disuss a suitable college course for me with a careers advisor at college. Obviously I am joining a little late say 2 months later than classes started and I am dead nervous. A) I am upset and worried I missed out on how the new 16 year olds are introduced to college life plus its all nerve wracking for me that I have to catch up on both GCSE work and new college work already! Its such a bad start and I feel awful! But none of it is my fault.

I am scared I won't be able to gel into college life as its a huge step from school life. And I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT HOW COLLEGE WORKS!!! I am serious.

Whats the classes like?

Whats the teachers like?

Please help I cry everytime i think about it. I have a lot of self esteem and confidence issues too. So going somewhere like college mid year is very scary for me.
    For me college was pretty similar to school in terms of what the classes were like, the only difference is you're given more freedom in terms of how you do your work (teachers won't nag you to do your work; if you don't keep up with it that's your own problem)

The teachers I guess differ in general but I'd say they're probably more chill than school because you usually talk to them on a first name basis and stuff.

The day is similar but you can only be on the college campus if you don't have classes unlike school where you're there all day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkpearl14)

Whats the classes like?

Whats the teachers like?

I don't go to like a proper 'college' as my school goes up to 18 but I can still answer your questions I think.

Yes college is a big step up from Year 11 and GCSE's. But once you get over the initial shock you'll be fine. It took me until October Half Term to get it together and now I've been predicted A*A*A so don't worry

Depending on what subjects you pick, the classes could be either really big or really tiny. The nature of my sixth form is that there aren't many of us to begin with so our classes don't really get any bigger than 10. However colleges usually have a few thousand students in them so classes will probably be significantly larger. But again it depends on what subjects you choose.

The classes are probably going to be more fast paced than you're used to - again this is part of the initial shock that I mentioned. However there is on the whole more freedom with how you take notes and stuff and you can ask for the resources used in the lesson to be emailed to you and stuff like that it's totally normal.

Teachers get way more relaxed on the whole when you get to college. I know people who go out for coffee with their teachers and discuss their latest essay in a coffee shop or something. It's in your best interest to go talk to them as much as possible. The more they know you the more they'll think that you're a committed student who wants to do well and the more they are willing to help you.

Usually you'll get quite a lot of free or 'private study' periods at college but since you're doing both college and gcse work this may not be the case.

Please don't be nervous You still have the chance to make friends not everyone is clique-y and if they don't want you then they don't deserve you. Good luck sweetie!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty rad, dude :hippie:

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.