How is Durham University?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying from South London and I'm Indian/Iranian.

How diverse is Durham, and is it too posh?

As an example (of course I'm not basing my application on this), I listen to popular R&B music/what a south Londoner like me would listen to- if I went to Durham, would the nightlife be hard for me to enjoy???

Most importantly, will I fit in?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I like to think I'm quite similar to you and I was worried about the same thing with Durham.

However, I went to the open day and can say that it will not be a problem. The colleges are so different, some are very laid back and not traditional (and sport orientated).

The nightlife is not great but I guess it is what you make of it. However, you are only a short train journey from Newcastle, arguably the UK's best nightlife. I know people travel in groups over there on a night from Durham.

Durham is probably the nicest city I've been to in the UK and looks awesome to study in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammygmfc)
    Hi, I like to think I'm quite similar to you and I was worried about the same thing with Durham.

However, I went to the open day and can say that it will not be a problem. The colleges are so different, some are very laid back and not traditional (and sport orientated).

The nightlife is not great but I guess it is what you make of it. However, you are only a short train journey from Newcastle, arguably the UK's best nightlife. I know people travel in groups over there on a night from Durham.
    Yeah, I heard the same about Newcastle too.

I think I'm mostly just worried because I've read a few things on the some students at Durham- apparently there's these 'rahs' (who just sound like total snobs imo).

I think I'm worried I won't make close friends who can relate to my London-culture.
    (if that even makes sense lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    Yeah, I heard the same about Newcastle too.

I think I'm mostly just worried because I've read a few things on the some students at Durham- apparently there's these 'rahs' (who just sound like total snobs imo).

I think I'm worried I won't make close friends who can relate to my London-culture.
    (if that even makes sense lol)
    Yeah I've heard of them. Not keen myself either. What I can say is that shouldn't be a reason for you to not wanting to go. I'm sure there will be plenty of people like you also which I guess is more important.

Durham certainly gets a recommendation from me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've heard of them. Not keen myself either. What I can say is that shouldn't be a reason for you to not wanting to go. I'm sure there will be plenty of people like you also which I guess is more important.

Durham certainly gets a recommendation from me.
    Are you applying for Durham this year?
    If so, what for? =D

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for Durham this year?
    If so, what for? =D
    Yes I am and I'd absolutely love to go there. Hoping to study Maths

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am and I'd absolutely love to go there. Hoping to study Maths

How about you?
    International Relations for me!

Where else are you thinking of?

I've got down Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    International Relations for me!

Where else are you thinking of?

I've got down Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds.
    Very nice. I am applying to Durham, Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester/York.

Good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.