Self teaching web development help

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place-it's my first post so apologies if it isn't.

Anyway, I finished my A-levels in June this year and have taken a gap year in which I would love to learn coding and web development and design.

However I am a complete beginner and unsure where to start. I was hoping some of you would be able to give me some advice on any websites/books or information that would help me?

I have recently bought two books by Jon Duckett - HTML & CSS and JAVASCRIPT & JQUERY - and was wondering if anyone has used these and found them helpful?

Sorry it's a bit of a long post but just need some advice on where to start really?

Thanks for all help in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't really comment on the books but in terms of getting practice the only thing you can do is get stuck in. Think of a basic idea for a web page and build it in HTML. Start to learn CSS after you're comfortable. Leave JQuery and Javascript until last, you need working web pages to implement them.

Like programming it's really a matter of building things and trying stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Can't really comment on the books but in terms of getting practice the only thing you can do is get stuck in. Think of a basic idea for a web page and build it in HTML. Start to learn CSS after you're comfortable. Leave JQuery and Javascript until last, you need working web pages to implement them.

Like programming it's really a matter of building things and trying stuff.
    Thanks a lot for this I will definitely get stuck in and get practising!

Regarding the books they came in a set so I thought the JavaScript and JQuery one would be useful when (or if) I get to that stage hahah.

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SLS123)
    Thanks a lot for this I will definitely get stuck in and get practising!

Regarding the books they came in a set so I thought the JavaScript and JQuery one would be useful when (or if) I get to that stage hahah.

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're the sort of things you can use fairly early if you feel like practicing. There's no specific stage you need to be at. You just can't add JQuery to a non-existant site.

What I will say though is that books have a limited use. You'll find yourself googling things a lot more often than looking them up in books. It's usally faster too. Books are great for tutorials but as soon as you outgrow it jump right on the web to start researching things you don't know. You can get by entirely without books simply by following online tutorials.

codeacademy may be of interest to you as well at first, it's a more practical way of providing a tutorial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    They're the sort of things you can use fairly early if you feel like practicing. There's no specific stage you need to be at. You just can't add JQuery to a non-existant site.

What I will say though is that books have a limited use. You'll find yourself googling things a lot more often than looking them up in books. It's usally faster too. Books are great for tutorials but as soon as you outgrow it jump right on the web to start researching things you don't know. You can get by entirely without books simply by following online tutorials.

codeacademy may be of interest to you as well at first, it's a more practical way of providing a tutorial.
    Yeah I was reluctant to buy the books at first as I thought that would be the case but I guess there's no harm in learning from the books as well as the web.

I've came across codeacademy a few times so might have a look into that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check out Treehouse: https://teamtreehouse.com/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was reluctant to buy the books at first as I thought that would be the case but I guess there's no harm in learning from the books as well as the web.

I've came across codeacademy a few times so might have a look into that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Absolutely no harm in it at all. Only thing is the more you know the less useful generic books become. They all end up being the same and not really giving you anything new.

Codeacademy is alright, again you'll grow out of it quick but it's nice to give things a go in an environment that gives feedback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    Check out Treehouse: https://teamtreehouse.com/
    Thanks that's great, I'll have a look at this!
    I didn't realise there are so many website for learning code (and for free too)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Absolutely no harm in it at all. Only thing is the more you know the less useful generic books become. They all end up being the same and not really giving you anything new.

Codeacademy is alright, again you'll grow out of it quick but it's nice to give things a go in an environment that gives feedback
    I guess Codeacademy is a great starting point then?
    Also is it quick easy to pick up when you get going - like does it take long to become familiar with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess Codeacademy is a great starting point then?
    Also is it quick easy to pick up when you get going - like does it take long to become familiar with it?
    Honestly it depends. Some people love it and others hate it. If you haven't got a teacher it can be more useful for learning the basics as it tells you where you are going wrong. I can't speak for any web coding but I've seen people use it for Python and it seemed simple enough to pick up. It pushes you through it fast enough that you're getting a lot of early, basic experience.

It's also the sort of thing you might outgrow quickly and later on you find yourself skipping exercises and going straight to the harder stuff. At which point you can probably drop codeacademy in favour of using your own editors and doing things yourself.

It's not the only free resource either, there's loads of free online teaching editors and other resources like blogs and tutorials so there's no need to stick with codeacademy if you don't like it. Try it and see how it goes, if you don't enjoy it move on.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's great, I'll have a look at this!
    I didn't realise there are so many website for learning code (and for free too)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries. If you sign up with Treehouse you get a 7 day free trial. I'm not sure if the style of learning suits you, but in my honest opinion it's probably the best resource out there.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.