Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Seborrheic Dermatitis

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone suffers from this too? I've had it on my scalp since April this year and its not the mild kind like dandruff, its the full on kind. A small section of my scalp has reddened and yellow scales that are hard to come off appear and it gets super itchy and stingy. It all started out the blue one day and I thought maybe my new hair dye caused it but its stayed after all these months. I know now its usually caused by an overgrowth of a fungus that is always present on your skin.

I've been to the doc and she confirmed it was seborrheic dermatitis and that there's no cure, you can only treat it and it will flare up. I've been given Daktacort cream and Nizoral shampoo and both work but I can only use the cream for a week and then take a week long break from it because it contains steroids and the shampoo I can only use twice a week and the condition will improve slightly and then come back again when the treatment has stopped and I feel like I am going around in circles.

I know there's no cure but I'm wondering if anyone of you have ever suffered from it and have any shampoos or anything you could recommend or any other little tips and tricks to help me manage it? The itchiness is unbearable at times. I know stress flares it up so I'm trying to work on my stress levels

Thanks! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone suffers from this too? I've had it on my scalp since April this year and its not the mild kind like dandruff, its the full on kind. A small section of my scalp has reddened and yellow scales that are hard to come off appear and it gets super itchy and stingy. It all started out the blue one day and I thought maybe my new hair dye caused it but its stayed after all these months. I know now its usually caused by an overgrowth of a fungus that is always present on your skin.

I've been to the doc and she confirmed it was seborrheic dermatitis and that there's no cure, you can only treat it and it will flare up. I've been given Daktacort cream and Nizoral shampoo and both work but I can only use the cream for a week and then take a week long break from it because it contains steroids and the shampoo I can only use twice a week and the condition will improve slightly and then come back again when the treatment has stopped and I feel like I am going around in circles.

I know there's no cure but I'm wondering if anyone of you have ever suffered from it and have any shampoos or anything you could recommend or any other little tips and tricks to help me manage it? The itchiness is unbearable at times. I know stress flares it up so I'm trying to work on my stress levels

Thanks! :hugs:
    Could you ask your GP to recommend shampoos and creams you can use for the breaks between steroids? I know you can use coconut and olive oil for babies with the condition (my little sister had it) so you could give that a go, as it wont do your scalp any harm if it didnt work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Could you ask your GP to recommend shampoos and creams you can use for the breaks between steroids? I know you can use coconut and olive oil for babies with the condition (my little sister had it) so you could give that a go, as it wont do your scalp any harm if it didnt work.
    The soonest appt I could get is for the end of the month since its not an emergency and I asked the receptionist for a telephone consultation since the doc knows exactly what I have and only has to prescribe a shampoo or cream and she said no :/

Ah yeah, it's called cradle cap in kids isn't it? That's pretty much how it looks on my scalp except it's on one area instead of all over. The area is only about 3/4cm but it's still so itchy and painful. I'll try the coconut and olive oil method I'm willing to try anything because the itchiness becomes unbearable and everything seems to set it off - heat, cold, wearing a hat, lying on my pillow, washing my hair, not washing it. Grrrrrr

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The soonest appt I could get is for the end of the month since its not an emergency and I asked the receptionist for a telephone consultation since the doc knows exactly what I have and only has to prescribe a shampoo or cream and she said no :/

Ah yeah, it's called cradle crap in kids isn't it? That's pretty much how it looks on my scalp except it's on one area instead of all over. The area is only about 3/4cm but it's still so itchy and painful. I'll try the coconut and olive oil method I'm willing to try anything because the itchiness becomes unbearable and everything seems to set it off - heat, cold, wearing a hat, lying on my pillow, washing my hair, not washing it. Grrrrrr

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes they call it cradle cap. Sorry to hear you can't get an appointment Since it's a similar thing to cradle cap, you could try swapping to a baby shampoo specifically for that since they should have less chemicals in than your usual shampoo when you wash your hair normally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yes they call it cradle cap. Sorry to hear you can't get an appointment Since it's a similar thing to cradle cap, you could try swapping to a baby shampoo specifically for that since they should have less chemicals in than your usual shampoo when you wash your hair normally.
    Lol just noticed I wrote 'cradle crap' by accident I think that name suits it better :laugh:

Never thought of trying baby shampoo. I could use that in between using Nizoral since I can't use Nizoral too often. How long did it take for your sister's cradle cap to go away?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol just noticed I wrote 'cradle crap' by accident I think that name suits it better :laugh:

Never thought of trying baby shampoo. I could use that in between using Nizoral since I can't use Nizoral too often. How long did it take for your sister's cradle cap to go away?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If i remember correctly, it did take a few weeks to go. She is prone to sensitive skin conditions though, she unfortunately got the eczema gene so that may have made the difference. I think there's one called dentinox that's supposed to be quite good.

ReputationRep:
    Eat lots of bacon and beef and you'll find your skin becomes perfect. Try to cut bread and milk out of your diet. Eat loads of fruit and green veg too.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.