Drinking at parties

Announcements

So the other day I got invited to a party and everyone was drinking except me. I chose not to because of what my parents would say (I had a very conservative upbringing). I myself do not see anything intrinsically wrong with drinking but I know my parents would certainly disapprove. Should I do it anyway, I feel like you cant really enjoy a party without drinking? As a little bit of background, I am currently 17.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it illegal to drink before 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    nope. you can drink from any age, it's just illegal to buy it or be sold it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Oh, damn, I never knew that :P

ReputationRep:
    Should you do it? No

Will you do it? Yes

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on whether or not you're feeling pressured to do it. *If you just want to have a tipple or two at a party then jeeez - surely that's not decrying your upbringing. *If, on the other hand, you don't really want to but feel like you should be part of the swim, then maybe you should stick to your true feelings and not. *

ReputationRep:
    Are you in university?

I'm assuming not but if you are:

You're responsible for yourself now, do what you want, drink or don't drink. There is nothing shameful about it, just be safe about it y'know. Don't do anything that you don't want to though obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    Without parental consent, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexFam)
    Without parental consent, yes.
    'Mum, can I go and get smashed at this party tonight?'
    'Sure thing, sweetie.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Or have someone buy it for you under 18 or offer it to you in a licensed place under 18 without a tabled dinner setting or to drink without parental consent under 18 or be under the age of 5 and drink in any circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's useful to try and build up some tolerance to alcohol. I've got zero tolerance for it, despite a lot of effort to get used to it, which is actually really annoying and frustrating. It just turns me into a bad person and I've really pissed a lot of guys off by being to much of a tease. I know I'm doing it but I can't sort of help it. Makes me feel a but guilty.

ReputationRep:
    only way to find out is to try it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So the other day I got invited to a party and everyone was drinking except me. I chose not to because of what my parents would say (I had a very conservative upbringing).
    who cares?
    I come from an incredibly conservative background - you'd have thought they were the flanders family from the simpsons but more aggressive. yet I drink, a lot. and more. don't let your adventure of indoctrination with your family ruin your happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lamaragymnast)
    I think it's useful to try and build up some tolerance to alcohol. I've got zero tolerance for it, despite a lot of effort to get used to it, which is actually really annoying and frustrating. It just turns me into a bad person and I've really pissed a lot of guys off by being to much of a tease. I know I'm doing it but I can't sort of help it. Makes me feel a but guilty.

What? This post makes no sense. If it's that much of an issue just drink less? It's not about building a tolerance, but knowing your limits.
    I'm a light weight and that suits me just fine considering I can spend a lot less money and get in the same state as my friends who end up spend £20 more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    What? This post makes no sense. If it's that much of an issue just drink less? It's not about building a tolerance, but knowing your limits.
    I'm a light weight and that suits me just fine considering I can spend a lot less money and get in the same state as my friends who end up spend £20 more
    I mean it's hard when everyone else is drinking lots and I want to be able to drink more.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So the other day I got invited to a party and everyone was drinking except me. I chose not to because of what my parents would say (I had a very conservative upbringing). I myself do not see anything intrinsically wrong with drinking but I know my parents would certainly disapprove. Should I do it anyway, I feel like you cant really enjoy a party without drinking? As a little bit of background, I am currently 17.
    Do what YOU want. If you feel like you want to drink, then do so, but obviously don't let your drink get spiked. Don't worry about your parents. You're almost an adult and most 17 year olds drink.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.