severe anxiety issues in my first year

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so i've been at the university of liverpool for about three weeks, and i'm having really bad anxiety issues. i've always had social anxiety but currently it's unbearable. i can barely leave my room, i've had several days where i didn't eat at all because i'm in catered accommodation and i can't bring myself to go to the canteen and eat because it makes me too anxious. i'm self harming again, i rarely shower because i can't leave my room (i have a sink in my room so i'm not too gross, but it's not ideal), i barely know the other people on my floor, i signed up for some societies but have only been to one social event in the entire three weeks. i know one person who could be considered maaybe a friend but she's in accommodation ages away and i still don't know her that well. i don't drink so even if i wasn't so anxious clubbing is not my thing and that's the way that everyone on the floor has gotten to know each other. i have an appointment with the mental health services here, but i can't go alone and i'm really really scared. i'm extremely homesick, which is unusual for me but i guess it's because of the anxiety. i'm totally isolated, and i'm losing all self-preservation instincts tbh. i can do my work, i can just about make it to seminars and lectures, but that's it. i don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I know how it is man. I started at Solent university just over 3 weeks too and it's been a stressful few weeks. Filled with anxiety and stress, and constantly thinking if dropping out is my thing, even the course isn't going so great so far for me. There are days where I don't eat because we have a shared kitchen with about 10 other people, but people from the other flat also come over so it's usually extremely uncomfortable to cook, especially with me not really cooking much before starting university, so I fear messing up or embarrassing myself. I think what you should do though is definitely inform the reception or whoever is in charge in your residence, they don't want you to suffer and they want to handle your situation as delicately as possible. I had the option to be relocated to another block, and have a mini-fridge in my room so I could eat. I think you should inform reception about it. I also filled out a form for counselling because my anxiety has just been 100% pretty much since coming here, and I've been wanting to go home a lot. Anyway I hope this helps somewhat , even if it is only just a relatable reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patroclvs)
    so i've been at the university of liverpool for about three weeks, and i'm having really bad anxiety issues. i've always had social anxiety but currently it's unbearable. i can barely leave my room, i've had several days where i didn't eat at all because i'm in catered accommodation and i can't bring myself to go to the canteen and eat because it makes me too anxious. i'm self harming again, i rarely shower because i can't leave my room (i have a sink in my room so i'm not too gross, but it's not ideal), i barely know the other people on my floor, i signed up for some societies but have only been to one social event in the entire three weeks. i know one person who could be considered maaybe a friend but she's in accommodation ages away and i still don't know her that well. i don't drink so even if i wasn't so anxious clubbing is not my thing and that's the way that everyone on the floor has gotten to know each other. i have an appointment with the mental health services here, but i can't go alone and i'm really really scared. i'm extremely homesick, which is unusual for me but i guess it's because of the anxiety. i'm totally isolated, and i'm losing all self-preservation instincts tbh. i can do my work, i can just about make it to seminars and lectures, but that's it. i don't know what to do.
    I'm also at UOL, so hi.
    I'm not staying in halls though, so I can't offer any advice there.
    Which society's did you join? I joined a few too, but I havent been to anything yet as I'm too scared to go to something where I will know nobody.
    I'm not a clubbing kind of person either, and living away from the uni has meant I haven't made any new friends. You're welcome to message me if you want to chat or anything ☺

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.