How good are my chances of getting into a decent university for Computer Science?

Watch
VasDev
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I want to do computer science when I'm older. I did A-levels previously and I did pretty badly in my AS results as a result of family issues and stress (DDEU) and I then decided that A-levels weren't for me.

After that I decided to do a BTEC extended diploma in IT. I worked hard in my first year as I want to be successful when I'm older, and I got D* D*.
I'm now doing UCAS and my predicted grade is D*D*D*, the highest grade you can get at BTEC.

I have pretty decent GCSE grades if it matters at all (5A,4B)

I checked and these are all of the russell group unis that would accept me if I got D*D*D* (My predicted grade)

Queen Mary London (D*DD)
Bristol (D*D*D*)
Newcastle (D*DD)
Nottingham (D*D*D*)
University of Southampton (DDD)

Most universities that are in the top 30 and aren't Russell group would also accept me. For example, Aston is ranked number 9 in the 2017 guardian comp sci rankings and they require DDD.

Furthermore I have 2 weeks work experience at the leading software development company for the estate agent industry in the UK. Its quite a large company (£11 million turnover) and I tested their software capabilities as part of my work experience for BTEC

I'm also teaching myself some comp-sci related mathematics in my own time, as well as Java, the programming language, in order to settle in smoothly for my course in the future

I think I would cope at university, however I'm a little concerned about my AS grades deciding wether or not I get a place
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads