Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Histroy American foreign policy Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How isolationist was American foreign policy in the period of 1920-41?

I have to write an essay on this for my course work. Please can I have some guidance or any primary and secondary sources?

ReputationRep:
    Well, don't know if this will help much. But in 1920 Harding called for a return to 'normalcy', so isolationism. So in general, America strived to maintain this stance and avoid international interference. And to evidence the isolationist view you can use the rejection of the League of Nations by America in 1920.

But you need to take into account America's 'open door' policy with China and the rise of Japanese militarism, America did get involved in regards to this, so this is a counter argument.

My main tip is to just read around this area first, before you jump in. It's typical of America to say one thing and to do another, and that time period depicts just that.

Remember to show both sides of the argument, and evidence any points you make with key dates and events. But also, in your intro state your view (if they were isolationist/or not) and then follow that through to your conclusion. Meaning, always support your argument a little more, to show u have made a strong case

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! course work stress AHHH

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.