St George's Biomedical Science 2017

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else applying for Biomedical Science at St Georges ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DibbyDabby)
    Yeh i'm going to. It seems like a good option and i like the idea of transferring to 2nd year of Medicine at the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Yeh i'm going to. It seems like a good option and i like the idea of transferring to 2nd year of Medicine at the end
    Same , I have submitted my 4 Medicine choices and am going to add Biomedical Science at St Georges as my fifth.
    Do you know if they consider medicine personal statements ?

ReputationRep:
    Same , I have submitted my 4 Medicine choices and am going to add Biomedical Science at St Georges as my fifth.
    Do you know if they consider medicine personal statements ?
    I'm pretty sure they do. I went to the open day and the women giving a talk about their medicine degree said it was a good 5th option so i guess they do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they do. I went to the open day and the women giving a talk about their medicine degree said it was a good 5th option so i guess they do.
    Do you know how much they consider predicted grades for biomed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclosporin)
    I've got no idea. Tbh i haven't looked into it that much yet seeing as it's my 5th choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclosporin)
    I emailed St George's about personal statement and they got back to me within a couple of days.

If you want to ask the address is [email protected] . Asking them will get you the most reliable information

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HI, I've just changed my medicine application to their bio med as UKCAT cut off was too low ... had an email from admissions re medicine asking if wanted to change so have done .......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhmcs)
    HI, I've just changed my medicine application to their bio med as UKCAT cut off was too low ... had an email from admissions re medicine asking if wanted to change so have done .......
    Wait so you applied to St Georges for Medicine but then changed to Biomed because you were below their UKCAT cut off? I think Sheffield do something similar if that's what happened

ReputationRep:
    Wait so you applied to St Georges for Medicine but then changed to Biomed because you were below their UKCAT cut off? I think Sheffield do something similar if that's what happened

Yes..... in the general email that was sent out with their UKCAT score cut off, i was below, they had a note on it to say you could be considered for the Bio med , so i have looked at it and can apply then to med at end of year 2 or at end of degree, you go to graduate med course...... a long shot i know but my predicted IB scores/gcses etc are above what they want for med, just the UKCAT not! grrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    Yes..... in the general email that was sent out with their UKCAT score cut off, i was below, they had a note on it to say you could be considered for the Bio med , so i have looked at it and can apply then to med at end of year 2 or at end of degree, you go to graduate med course...... a long shot i know but my predicted IB scores/gcses etc are above what they want for med, just the UKCAT not! grrrrrrr
    That's unlucky. Have you heard back from any of your other med choices yet?

ReputationRep:
    That's unlucky. Have you heard back from any of your other med choices yet?
    nope (((( my 5th choice was Kings for Bio med, which i have an offer for .... but ...what about you?

ReputationRep:
    you can try but i am studying at sgul atm and there are less than 30 spaces for the transfer with over 200 applicants so good luck!

ReputationRep:
    it is good but be prepared to have to work harder than the medics and for an intense course with hardly any time to yourself (everyday 9-5)

ReputationRep:
    nope (((( my 5th choice was Kings for Bio med, which i have an offer for .... but ...what about you?
    I've got an interview for Sheffield next month, i doubt i'll hear from the rest for a while tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovejoy212)
    you can try but i am studying at sgul atm and there are less than 30 spaces for the transfer with over 200 applicants so good luck!
    I was told on the open day that there was only 70 applicants?

ReputationRep:
    I was told on the open day that there was only 70 applicants?
    with the transfer you need to get above 66% in first 2 years which eliminates a lot of people, you also need to pass the interview (MMI) (if you get through to interview round you have 50% chance of being made the conditional offer). if they give you an offer you have to get a higher than a 2:1 in your biomed degree to transfer.
    theres 250 people applying, but many are out off by the work as we are exposed to medics/healthcare professionals everyday and their grim lifestyles. also, people eliminated if they don't make the year 1 and 2 grades (aim for around 70%-80% in first 2 years). hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovejoy212)
    with the transfer you need to get above 66% in first 2 years which eliminates a lot of people, you also need to pass the interview (MMI) (if you get through to interview round you have 50% chance of being made the conditional offer). if they give you an offer you have to get a higher than a 2:1 in your biomed degree to transfer.
    theres 250 people applying, but many are out off by the work as we are exposed to medics/healthcare professionals everyday and their grim lifestyles. also, people eliminated if they don't make the year 1 and 2 grades (aim for around 70%-80% in first 2 years). hope this helps
    Thanks for the info. I am doing the IB at the moment, so have zero time to myself anyway! Mum in dentistry so understand the lifestyle too..... it looks a good course though?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. I am doing the IB at the moment, so have zero time to myself anyway! Mum in dentistry so understand the lifestyle too..... it looks a good course though?
    yea the course itself is good, its really medical based. we learn the same things as medics (and we have our own lectures as well - we do more work than medics!), we have practicals with amazing equipment, tutorials with awesome professors and also learn anatomy on cadavers every week. it is an intense course but with many great opportunities

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an offer so far?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 18, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
St. George's, University of London resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.