The Student Room Group

Already started but want to switch?

Hi I just started uni a couple of weeks ago doing computer science but I think there's a bit too much maths an it is overall not what I expected it to be.

Is there any way I could switch to another subject or would I have to leave and wait another year? If I do switch now who would I talk to about it?

Thanks for the replies.
Original post by mellowman
Hi I just started uni a couple of weeks ago doing computer science but I think there's a bit too much maths an it is overall not what I expected it to be.

Is there any way I could switch to another subject or would I have to leave and wait another year? If I do switch now who would I talk to about it?

Thanks for the replies.

Speak to student support at your university.

Thanks for the replies.

Mind if I ask what Uni you're at? I want to do Computer Sci but am worried about how much maths is involved because it varies from Uni to Uni. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

You need to get a move on. Contact student support as Claire said, but you should be rebiewing what courses might interest you and which ones are available. Its about this time that you start to become liable for fees for the winter term and if so that will count you as using your gift year in terms of student funding. If you leave before tha then you can aboid using that years funding. Ynlikley SS will be open until Monday so youd best spend soem time looking through the courses offered by your uni on the website and calculate which ones are offered that you would think are a good fit.

Do not just shuffle into a degree becayse its what they had available. Its a £45,000 decision so if the course isnt right then leave and reapply next year imo.
Reply 4
Original post by JorahMormont
Mind if I ask what Uni you're at? I want to do Computer Sci but am worried about how much maths is involved because it varies from Uni to Uni. Thanks.

Teesside. But I don't think that matters much because it will involve maths no matter which uni you go to. It's a very maths-based subject.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Speak to student support at your university.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
You need to get a move on. Contact student support as Claire said, but you should be rebiewing what courses might interest you and which ones are available. Its about this time that you start to become liable for fees for the winter term and if so that will count you as using your gift year in terms of student funding. If you leave before tha then you can aboid using that years funding. Ynlikley SS will be open until Monday so youd best spend soem time looking through the courses offered by your uni on the website and calculate which ones are offered that you would think are a good fit.

Do not just shuffle into a degree becayse its what they had available. Its a £45,000 decision so if the course isnt right then leave and reapply next year imo.

Ok I'll see what I can do. Thank you.
Reply 7

To be honest I don't think I'd be happy with anythign except physics but I didn't get the grades for it :frown:
To be honest I don't think I'd be happy with anythign except physics but I didn't get the grades for it :frown:

Then leave and resit or switch to physics with a foundation year.
Reply 9
Then leave and resit or switch to physics with a foundation year.

I didn't even know they had foundation years for physics.
Certainly look into other options and possible other universities. You need to switch reasonably soon though, otherwise it will make it harder to get into your desired course and it would mean you have a lot of work to catch up on.
Reply 11
I didn't even know they had foundation years for physics.

Google it and there's a long list. Physics with foundation year is reasonably common. My search results started with York, Manchester, Kent and Nottingham, so there are some decent unis involved.

I would agree with above advice not to rush into it. It may be worth dropping out now and restarting next September. Get advice on the financial implications though. If you drop out now, SF will want most of your Maintenance Loan payment back in full immediately, and you may already have spent it on rent etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Hello :smile:,

I'd always start by talking to your lecturers and telling them about how you are feeling, tell them your worries and concerns and see what advice they give to you and what they can suggest to you. Then, talk to student support and see what they say and just see where you end up.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88
Google it and there's a long list. Physics with foundation year is reasonably common. My search results started with York, Manchester, Kent and Nottingham, so there are some decent unis involved.

I would agree with above advice not to rush into it. It may be worth dropping out now and restarting next September. Get advice on the financial implications though. If you drop out now, SF will want most of your Maintenance Loan payment back in full immediately, and you may already have spent it on rent etc.

Physics or psychology still not sure which one I like better lol

Quick Reply

Latest