Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Medicine courses in uni

ReputationRep:
    Going into adult nursing and completing a degree in adult nursing. Is there a way to go back into university to study medicine afterwards and become a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joeybabykangaroo)
    Going into adult nursing and completing a degree in adult nursing. Is there a way to go back into university to study medicine afterwards and become a doctor?
    Yes after your degree apply for a postgraduate course.

ReputationRep:
    You can start again and study medicine. Just like everyone else who has a degree.

There is no nurse->doctor specific program no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You can start again and study medicine. Just like everyone else who has a degree.

There is no nurse->doctor specific program no.
    After a degree in adult nursing can I apply for a post graduate course in medicine straight away at a university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobwibbles)
    Yes after your degree apply for a postgraduate course.
    Have other people done this before?

ReputationRep:
    After a degree in adult nursing can I apply for a post graduate course in medicine straight away at a university?
    Have other people done this before?
    Its graduate entry. But yes, you can. I would recommend working for a year post qualification, in order to gain experience and allow you to earn money through the medicine degree, but yes, you can go straight in to a medicine degree.

ReputationRep:
    Studying nursing at university with the intention of using it to apply to graduate entry medicine seems like a great way to deprive someone who actually wants to be a nurse. In addition, it's not a particularly academic course and would leave you with a lot of catching up to do.

If you're that desperate to do graduate entry medicine, I would suggest something like biomedical sciences instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Studying nursing at university with the intention of using it to apply to graduate entry medicine seems like a great way to deprive someone who actually wants to be a nurse. In addition, it's not a particularly academic course and would leave you with a lot of catching up to do.

If you're that desperate to do graduate entry medicine, I would suggest something like biomedical sciences instead.
    I don't mind the long wait into medical school and becoming a doctor. Also I can gain great experience with both fields.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the long wait into medical school and becoming a doctor. Also I can gain great experience with both fields.
    You're missing the point that Etomidate is making. Nursing is not a stepping stone to medicine. Yes, you can make the switch, but you should not do a nursing degree with the sole intention of going in to medicine. We need nurses and training up students requires a lot of time and investment.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say anything about the wait. My point is that you're taking away a place at nursing school from someone who actually wants to be a nurse.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda disagree with the comments above. I got a place on GEM after my nursing degree and I'll be providing my services to the NHS hopefully for many years. Both as a doctor and a nurse (whilst training). I think they will have made an appropriate investment. Taking a biomedical science degree with a view to doing medicine takes a place away from a person wanting to do biomedical science. Nursing gave me the best possible experience when applying for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swfc 16)
    I kinda disagree with the comments above. I got a place on GEM after my nursing degree and I'll be providing my services to the NHS hopefully for many years. Both as a doctor and a nurse (whilst training). I think they will have made an appropriate investment. Taking a biomedical science degree with a view to doing medicine takes a place away from a person wanting to do biomedical science. Nursing gave me the best possible experience when applying for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am not saying nurses shouldn't transition (it would be very ironic if I did), but I don't believe you should go in to nursing with the express wish of doing medicine at the end of it. That is a completely different thing to deciding during or after your nursing degree that medicine is more suited for you.

Doing biomedicine is very different to nursing. It is much more suited to people who have already decided they want to be a doctor. It doesn't cost the NHS anything, not does it take up valuable resources that are invested in training nurses. Biomedicine numbers also aren't limited in the same way nursing numbers are (were). There is much less chance of 'taking someone's place' by doing biomed.

Not to mention completing a nursing degree is hard enough when you do want to be a nurse. Always thinking I want to be doing medicine instead, is not going to make life very easy.

ReputationRep:
    I am about to finish my 3 year nursing degree in January and have just applied for medicine to start sept 2017. I did nursing with the intention to always do medicine after. My lecturer who is a reference fully supported my decision and encouraged me to apply. I couldn't imagine doing anything else.
    I did nursing first as my a level results were pretty bad.

But now personally I think I wouldn't have been ready. I've matured and changed so much through my degree I know my approach to medicine now would be 100% better than if I went straight from school
    Also get so much contact with patients and learn so much I think doing nursing first would make us more rounded doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am seriously considering of applying for post grad medicine...
    Advanced Diploma in Nursing
    3 yrs experience
    ( no science alevels and not particularly amazing results )

Any advice greatly appreciated !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyazzyx)
    3 yrs experience

Just have a general look around a lot of medical school websites or email them and ask ways you could get In. Like pretty sure they do access to medicine courses and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyazzyx)
    3 yrs experience

Just have a general look around a lot of medical school websites for their entry requirements or email them and ask ways you could get In. Like pretty sure they do access to medicine courses and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.