Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been job hunting for the past 3 weeks....given abt 30 CV's and filled in many online applications...i have been rejected from most places purely based on lack of retail experience...i mean.. i have to start somewhere to get expereince....im currently expecting my A2 results and have got good GCSE grades and other key skills....i have done one work expereince at a solicitors firm for 2 weeks and i really want to get into retail and work as sales assistant...whats the best thing to do?...im getting really frustrated!

cheers!

ReputationRep:
    persist! :P or you could do some voluntary retail work, like in a charity shop. i bet that would help lots.

ReputationRep:
    It's a vicious circle. Just keep at it. I know it can be frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokentulip)
    persist! :P or you could do some voluntary retail work, like in a charity shop. i bet that would help lots.
    Absolutely!

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation as you and got something quite quickly through a temp agency, although it isn't retail, which might be more difficult.

I started on Tuesday, and its just filing - people from the offices bring in piles of paper and I have to put them away. I'm finding it pretty boring and I do feel i'm a bit over-qualified in terms of grades from school but I don't have work experience so I feel this is the best way to go. I'm going to try and stick it out for a while because i'm getting office experience (of sorts) and i'm getting paid.

Presumably any kind of work whilst you were looking for a retail job would help add to your cv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barmy_army008)
    I was in the same situation as you and got something quite quickly through a temp agency, although it isn't retail, which might be more difficult.

I started on Tuesday, and its just filing - people from the offices bring in piles of paper and I have to put them away. I'm finding it pretty boring and I do feel i'm a bit over-qualified in terms of grades from school but I don't have work experience so I feel this is the best way to go. I'm going to try and stick it out for a while because i'm getting office experience (of sorts) and i'm getting paid.

Presumably any kind of work whilst you were looking for a retail job would help add to your cv.
    What did you do for work experience?

Apply for something similar you done for work experience.

E.g.
    If you done something like worki in a cafe for WP, then you'd have a better chance in being accepted for a job relating to catering instead of retail.

ReputationRep:
    supermarkets and department stores generally take on school leavers/students

ReputationRep:
    It took me two years to find my first job (I started looking at retail work when I was 16) and then searched right up until I turned 18 in April. That was a lot of applications, and interviews. Generally I got interviews based on the quality of my CV but was turned down at interview due to lack of retail experience compared to other candidates etc.

I was lucky enough to land a job at JJB Sports on a weekend contract plus overtime when I can manage through the week which is perfect. The people their are friendly and the banter is excellent. I only started on Wednesday past and I really like it. I got the interview based on my CV and interview being good, but I also had a family member working their which may have helped my app.

Basically I'd say keep searching and perhaps try and get voluntary work if you can and if you have anyone in retail talk to them about any positions available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshJames)
    supermarkets and department stores generally take on school leavers/students

I'm 18 and doing A levels....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f.amir)
    I'm 18 and doing A levels....
    I'm waiting on A2 results on thursday and started at sainsbury's today. I left the experience box blank.

ReputationRep:
    /student....

you said you have no current retail experience, so you'll have to start at the bottom i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I was in EXACTLY the same position as you.
    i'm waiting for my a2 results.
    the only experience i had was in a solicitors firm
    and i was trying to get a retail job.
    i had no luck
    until last week where i got a job in topshop
    so basically just keep trying and eventually you'll get there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcitylightsx)
    I was in EXACTLY the same position as you.
    i'm waiting for my a2 results.
    the only experience i had was in a solicitors firm
    and i was trying to get a retail job.
    i had no luck
    until last week where i got a job in topshop
    so basically just keep trying and eventually you'll get there!
    OMG....topshop rejected me....when i asked for feedback they told me that overall I was really strong candidate but lacked in retail experience....and you got the job...lol...not fair...congrats anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Volenteer mate - until you get an offer - to gain experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous samosa)
    OMG....topshop rejected me....when i asked for feedback they told me that overall I was really strong candidate but lacked in retail experience....and you got the job...lol...not fair...congrats anyway!

don't worry, i'm still trying to get my head round it myself!
    i had to go for 2 interviews with them!
    on the second one i had to work the fitting rooms and also get behind the tills and serve customers
    didn't have a clue what i was doing!!!!
    but it just goes to show that eventually someone will give you a chance!
    : ] be positive

ReputationRep:
    Is retail the only way you want to go? I've got 3 interviews for office jobs.

I had no experience in retail either but I had volunteered in a charity shop so I just used that as my "experience".

ReputationRep:
    also, my in my first job at m&s atm. i was totally doubting that i'd get the job due to no job experience at all! but really, it's all about having confidence and showcasing to them that you have the right attritributes of a good employee, then they will be more than willing to train you up.

ReputationRep:
    do you guys know any good sites i can use to search?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl)
    Is retail the only way you want to go? I've got 3 interviews for office jobs.

I had no experience in retail either but I had volunteered in a charity shop so I just used that as my "experience".
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the interviews for office jobs? Recruitment agency? If so, which one? Also, are they temp positions?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sub0)
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the interviews for office jobs? Recruitment agency? If so, which one? Also, are they temp positions?

Thanks
    Hey well I used Reed. Just scored a job that pays £12 an hour! Which is absolutely BRILLIANT for me. I also signed up to local recruitment agencies around me, some of whom found my CV on Reed.

If you have any Qs, PM me!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.