Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am i gay? Am i bisexual? Am i just confused? Watch

Announcements

So since I started back at school in year 12, I've had a crush on this...girl. (just for the record, I am female). This girl, I found out, is actually a lesbian.

And I don't understand it. I've always been straight. I look at guy's bums, not girls. I've never been attracted to a girl like this before.

I don't ...feel gay, y'know? I haven't suddenly started staring at women now, in that way, it's just this feeling I have with her.

Weirdest thing about it is that I've hardly spoken to her. She's not some major fittie 10/10. I actually like her for her personality and tumblr blog. We've spoken more online than in real life, which is a problem for me; being more outgoing online than in reality.

If anything were to happen with this girl anyway, I don't know how I would "come out" to my parents (if I even am gay), because they're sikh. I actually don't know if sikhs are homophobic or not, but I know my Dad especially would be uncomfortable with me having feelings for anyone of the same sex.

Any thoughts/advice/comments would be grand. Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're intending to pursue a relationship with her, I honestly wouldn't think about it too much. Give it time instead of trying to force an answer now. You might need more information (e.g. being attracted to other girls; or dating a girl) to confirm it for you. If a few years pass and you fail to be attracted to another girl, then it will probably be pretty clear that you are predominately straight and she was just an exception to the rule.

As for coming out, heh, I've never understood that myself. I've been certain of my sexuality for a few years but I never "came out" to my parents. I still don't feel any need to unless they directly ask me or if I end up wanting to introduce a future girlfriend to them. I don't consider it a big enough deal to have to announce it otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Tumblr :'D

(Original post by Scott.)
    Tumblr :'D
    yes, thank you for such an "amazing contribution"

(Original post by sinfonietta)
    Unless you're intending to pursue a relationship with her, I honestly wouldn't think about it too much. Give it time instead of trying to force an answer now. You might need more information (e.g. being attracted to other girls; or dating a girl) to confirm it for you. If a few years pass and you fail to be attracted to another girl, then it will probably be pretty clear that you are predominately straight and she was just an exception to the rule.

As for coming out, heh, I've never understood that myself. I've been certain of my sexuality for a few years but I never "came out" to my parents. I still don't feel any need to unless they directly ask me or if I end up wanting to introduce a future girlfriend to them. I don't consider it a big enough deal to have to announce it otherwise.
    Alright, I'll give it some time then. Probably for the best.

And wow, fair do's to you not coming out to your parents. Do you think they would find it a big deal even if you don't?

Anyhow, thank very much for this advice (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    And wow, fair do's to you not coming out to your parents. Do you think they would find it a big deal even if you don't?
    I don't think so. My parents are fairly open-minded - they're both in support of gay marriage, transgender rights, etc. They would probably understand my mentality too of not feeling a need to bring it up until it is relevant / they directly asked me. It's also probably why I don't really feel pressured to announce it as I don't really feel like I'm hiding some sort of secret.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.