Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can I have some advice please

In my whole life I have never been truly happy or felt content.

My childhood wasn't great, my parents were at work everyday so I barely spent any quality time with them. Even when there was a day or two when they didn't work my day still wasn't great, my dad would never take us out anywhere and my mum would always try to cause arguments about nothing. I remember all those times when I "didn't behave" or "didn't do well in school" my mum would hit me and shout at me (typical Asian parents)

Fast forward to today. I'm am now 17 and a half. Nothing much has changed but recently my mum has been so much worst. As I'm hoping to start uni next September my mum hasn't stopped talking about it. Every single day she would say stuff like "how are you going to wash your clothes?" Or "you'll be too lazy to cook" or "you can't even tidy your own room, the uni will kick you out if you are staying in their accommodation". She always looks down on me and thinks I'm a failure in life.

Just today she said "you're so irresponsible. Your uni open day is coming up and you haven't even sorted anything out". She was wrong. So wrong. I've been thinking and stressing/worrying about it every single day for the past 2 weeks. I've printed out my ticket and have even decided what I want to see. The only reason I don't talk about it to her is because I know my mum will say more stuff to put me down and make me stress. (All my friends will know I over stress and over think too much about everything.)

It's the last 2-3 years that I realized I might have depression and anxiety though I never dare to tell my mum that or even see a GP. Because of my family life I have never been happy. I feel down, hopeless and negative all the time. Sure there where times when I do smile for a few seconds but that's not real happiness. Whenever my mum is around I don't talk much, I just try to avoid her and her ways. This is why I never invite my friends round my house. I'm tired of her mental and emotional abuse towards me. My mum is too much to handle and I don't know what to do anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In my whole life I have never been truly happy or felt content.

My childhood wasn't great, my parents were at work everyday so I barely spent any quality time with them. Even when there was a day or two when they didn't work my day still wasn't great, my dad would never take us out anywhere and my mum would always try to cause arguments about nothing. I remember all those times when I "didn't behave" or "didn't do well in school" my mum would hit me and shout at me (typical Asian parents)

Fast forward to today. I'm am now 17 and a half. Nothing much has changed but recently my mum has been so much worst. As I'm hoping to start uni next September my mum hasn't stopped talking about it. Every single day she would say stuff like "how are you going to wash your clothes?" Or "you'll be too lazy to cook" or "you can't even tidy your own room, the uni will kick you out if you are staying in their accommodation". She always looks down on me and thinks I'm a failure in life.

Just today she said "you're so irresponsible. Your uni open day is coming up and you haven't even sorted anything out". She was wrong. So wrong. I've been thinking and stressing/worrying about it every single day for the past 2 weeks. I've printed out my ticket and have even decided what I want to see. The only reason I don't talk about it to her is because I know my mum will say more stuff to put me down and make me stress. (All my friends will know I over stress and over think too much about everything.)

It's the last 2-3 years that I realized I might have depression and anxiety though I never dare to tell my mum that or even see a GP. Because of my family life I have never been happy. I feel down, hopeless and negative all the time. Sure there where times when I do smile for a few seconds but that's not real happiness. Whenever my mum is around I don't talk much, I just try to avoid her and her ways. This is why I never invite my friends round my house. I'm tired of her mental and emotional abuse towards me. My mum is too much to handle and I don't know what to do anymore.
    Is there anyone your trust who you can speak to? You could go to your gp alone and that should be kept confidential. I know it's probably not much comfort but once you get to university you wont have to deal with your mum ever again if you didnt want to.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.