Trainee accounting role (ACA contract)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a recent graduate in finance with a first. I have been offered a role in a small accounting firm paying £14,000 and ACA training support. I wanted to know if this was normal for a contract. I know the salary is not amazing however for me it's crucial to get in to the field and get experience as I do not have any experience within the field.
    ACA contact- Standard 48 month contact with two attempts at each level.

-Recovery of course fees, study time and institute membership during or with in two years of qualification.
    If my contract gets terminated by either the firm or by myself i would need to pay these cost back. That within it self, is quite understandable. However they have valued this at (£300 per week). Is this normal?

I am still trying to weigh up my options and do not know whether I should take this opportunity on...
    the interview it self was ok, and the firm looked to have a nice and relax atmosphere.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Where is this firm located. Sounds like a nightmare to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Where is this firm located. Sounds like a nightmare to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just outside london

ReputationRep:
    Have you applied to other firms? Have this one as a last resort.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Have you applied to other firms? Have this one as a last resort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have applied for quite a few, some I had interviews for. I was offered another job paying £12,000 + ACCA but again very similar the small accounting practice which i turned down. This is the only firm option I currently have.

ReputationRep:
    You have a first in finance. What is stopping you from getting into a top 20 firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    You have a first in finance. What is stopping you from getting into a top 20 firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess I am not from a top university. I went to Herts with 300 UCAS
    I have had interviews with a few in the top 30, Most of bigger firms I missed their 2016 graduate intake. And a few I failed their numerical or verbal reasoning.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.