Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to study Human Geography at university; I have started to write my personnel statement. I want to read a book that will support my interest in the subject. All I’ve read are A level text books but haven't done any private reading. Can anyone recommend a book that will support my interest and that will look good on my personnel statement? Rep will be given.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What aspects of human do you like? Oh, and can I ask where you're applying?

ReputationRep:
    I am specifically interested in Tourism and the redevelopment of town and cities, but I enjoyed all my Human geog A level syllabus.
    Waiting till I get my results before i narrow down unis but thinking of Leicester, Hull, Oxford Brookes or Portsmouth. Maybe even Reading, LSE or Sheffield if results go really well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    I am specifically interested in Tourism and the redevelopment of town and cities, but I enjoyed all my Human geog A level syllabus.
    Waiting till I get my results before i narrow down unis but thinking of Leicester, Hull, Oxford Brookes or Portsmouth. Maybe even Reading, LSE or Sheffield if results go really well.
    For Human Geography, I'd point you in the direction of Sheffield (ABB), Lancaster (BBC) and Reading (280 points).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hi,

I want to study Human Geography at university; I have started to write my personnel statement. I want to read a book that will support my interest in the subject. All I’ve read are A level text books but haven't done any private reading. Can anyone recommend a book that will support my interest and that will look good on my personnel statement? Rep will be given.

Thanks
    The following books are suggested background for UCL Geog degree. See if your local library can get you some! If you like Urban geog then I would also suggest "The City in History" by Lewis Mumford.

Allen, J. and Massey D. (eds.) Geographical Worlds. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995.
    Castles, S. and Miller, M. The Age of Migration: International Population Movements in the Modern World. 3rd ed. Basingstoke: Macmillan, 2003.
    Clark, G. and Wareham, T. Geography at University. London: Sage, 2003.
    Cloke, P., Crang, P. and Goodwin, M. Introducing Human Geographies. London: Arnold, 1999.
    Clout, H.D. (ed.) The Times History of London. London: Times Books, 1999.
    Goudie, A. The Human Impact on the Natural Environment. 5th ed. Oxford: Blackwell, 2000.
    Gregory, K. The Changing Nature of Physical Geography, London: Arnold, 1988.
    Hammett, C. Unequal City: London in the Global Arena. London: Routledge, 2003.
    Holloway, S., Rice, S. and Valentine G. (eds.) Key Concepts in Geography. London: Sage, 2003.
    Johnston, R., Taylor, P. and Watts, M. (eds.) Geographies of Global Change. Oxford: Blackwell, 2002.
    Kneale, P.E. Study Skills for Geography Students: a practical guide, 2nd ed. London: Arnold, 2003.
    Longley, P.A., Goodchild, M.F., Maguire, D.J. and Rhind, D.W. Geographic Information Systems and Science. Chichester: Wiley, 2001.
    Mannion, A.M. Global Environmental Change, 2nd ed. London: Longman, 1997.
    Maslin, M. Global Warming. Grantown-on-Spey, Colin Baxter Photography, 2002.
    Rogers, A. and Viles, H. (eds.) The Student’s Companion to Geography. Oxford: Blackwell, 2003.
    Smith, D. The State of the World Atlas, 7th ed. London: Earthscan, 2003.
    Smithson, P., Addison, K. and Atkinson, K. Fundamentals of the Physical Environment, 3rd ed. London: Routledge, 2002.
    Warren, A. and French, J.R. (eds.) Habitat Conservation: Managing the Physical Environment. Chichester: Wiley, 2001.
    Wood, P. A. Discovering Cities: Central London. Sheffield: Geographical Association, 2004.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recoment "Introducing Human Geographies" by Paul Cloke, Philip Crang and Mark Goodwin...it covers lots of different subjects in geography and it'll almost definatly be useful for your first year (and beyond) if you buy it.
    the review of amazon explains a bit more about it...but i'd defiantly recomend it, i've used it loads!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...611657-8287847 (thats the link to the amazon review)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woox)
    I'd recoment "Introducing Human Geographies" by Paul Cloke, Philip Crang and Mark Goodwin...it covers lots of different subjects in geography and it'll almost definatly be useful for your first year (and beyond) if you buy it.
    the review of amazon explains a bit more about it...but i'd defiantly recomend it, i've used it loads!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...611657-8287847 (thats the link to the amazon review)
    I might check that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I might check that out.
    You been down to that library yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    You been down to that library yet?
    Nope, i'm hopefully gonna go shopping with my mum next week and we'll go the library then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Nope, i'm hopefully gonna go shopping with my mum next week and we'll go the library then
    Cool Anyways, off to have a shower, speak to you later!

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.