Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

UCL vs University College London

ReputationRep:
    For an Msc, can I get away with writing UCL instead of writing the name out in full in my Personal Statement?

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, you will be immediately rejected.
    UCL is widely known to be short for Universite catholique de Louvain, so you will 100% be misunderstood. Even if you were not, you will simply be rejected on the basis of being unable to spell University College London.

Source: Rejected from London Metropolitan university for putting MIT in my reference instead of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, they thought it stood for Morroccan Institute of Tuareg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    For an Msc, can I get away with writing UCL instead of writing the name out in full in my Personal Statement?
    What is the personal statement for?
    Are you an undergrad?
    I suggest not writing any names of universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can.

(Original post by Bloom77)
    What is the personal statement for?
    Are you an undergrad?
    I suggest not writing any names of universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She said it's an MSc so it's postgrad.

ReputationRep:
    UCL call themselves UCL. It's fine to say UCL.

ReputationRep:
    The first time you mention it, write University College London (UCL) and every subsequent mention, write UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    The first time you mention it, write University College London (UCL) and every subsequent mention, write UCL.
    This is correct when using an acronym, although some style guides would say there is no need to do this for words in common usage, and UCL would be one of those, in academic circles. However, UCL use UCL as a word in its own right. I know, I was a Director in their Communications and Marketing Dept and was all over their brand guidelines!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    This is correct when using an acronym, although some style guides would say there is no need to do this for words in common usage, and UCL would be one of those, in academic circles. However, UCL use UCL as a word in its own right. I know, I was a Director in their Communications and Marketing Dept and was all over their brand guidelines!
    I've met recruiters in companies aborad that didn't know. You should never rely on knowledge being "common".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    That's what I've done, thank you! I treated like an essay :-)

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.