Laptop Recommendations Under £450

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I've just started college so I am currently looking for a laptop to complete my assignments on. I would like to get a laptop that will last me as I may be using the same one when I go to uni. I also will be using it for personal use(social media.. etc. )

Has anyone got any recommendations on any good laptops?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylou73)
    Hi everyone, I've just started college so I am currently looking for a laptop to complete my assignments on. I would like to get a laptop that will last me as I may be using the same one when I go to uni. I also will be using it for personal use(social media.. etc. )

Any preference on screen size? Any features in particular that are important to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Any preference on screen size? Any features in particular that are important to you?
    Something quite lightweight would be preferable but other than that I am not looking for any specfic features

ReputationRep:
    I've had a quick browse on Currys for models that'd suit you and there's only really 2 that I can reasonably suggest in or near your budget that are reasonably future proof enough to last you through uni as well if necessary.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...35223-pdt.html
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...46383-pdt.html

There's not an awful lot between the two but I'll try and identify a few differences:

The Dell is £50 more expensive
    The Dell has a slightly more modern processor
    The Asus has a slightly better selection of ports, more USB 3.0 for faster transfer speeds and a VGA port alongside HDMI
    The Dell apparenlty has massively better battery life (4 hours on the Asus vs 9 on the Dell). However that depnds on a lot of factors and manufacturers are known to overestimate their battery times
    The Dell is ever so slightly smaller, thinner, lighter, etc.
    The Asus is matte while the Dell is listed as gloss (this matters for things like fingerprints and dirt marks if that bothers you)

Persoanlly my recommendation is to go with the Dell. It may be a little more expensive but the more modern processor and bigger battery life mean you'll get better overall time without charging. The other factors aren't huge and really the only major differences are the processor and battery capacity.

Both laptops would suffice for assignments, baic web browsing, social media, etc. and have enough extra power to keep going for a few years. Neither are super powerful laptops so if you're doing any sort of intensive courses (think anything where you need to do more than write assignments) then you'll struggle in a few years. But for now they'd be fine.

If you want to do your own research things to look for are:
    i5 processor (i3 would work but i5 gives you better futureproofing)
    8GB RAM (do not get anything lower under any circumstances)
    1TB Hard Drive (storage for all your assigments is important)
    Decent battery life
    Decent size, weight, etc.

In terms of weight you won't get anything super light for £450. Super lightweight but decent machines cost double that. They'd equally last long too though so in that respect saving up more to buy a higher end laptop that lasts longer is another option.

Hope that helps and good luck with college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

If you want to do your own research things to look for are:
    i5 processor (i3 would work but i5 gives you better futureproofing)
    8GB RAM (do not get anything lower under any circumstances)
    1TB Hard Drive (storage for all your assigments is important)
    Decent battery life
    Decent size, weight, etc.
    I just want to add to this that with the processor you need to look out for generations. You could pick up a first gen I5 very cheap but it won't last you long. I wouldn't recommend going older then a 4th gen(the asus listed above is a 5th well the Dell is a 6th gen).

Everything else is solid advice and two very good options.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the advice. I'm pretty useless understanding all these different things I should look out for but thanks for the two suggestions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuyHere)
    I just want to add to this that with the processor you need to look out for generations. You could pick up a first gen I5 very cheap but it won't last you long. I wouldn't recommend going older then a 4th gen(the asus listed above is a 5th well the Dell is a 6th gen).

Everything else is solid advice and two very good options.
    Agreed. I think you'd struggle to find a 4th gen processor in a laptop nowadays, most new and even discontinued stuff is 5th gen or higher. Especially with gen 7 Kaby Lake on the horizon. It's not much but the power saving aspect of the gen 6 over the gen 5 is almost enough to justfy the £50. Combined with the battery I'd say it were well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Agreed. I think you'd struggle to find a 4th gen processor in a laptop nowadays, most new and even discontinued stuff is 5th gen or higher. Especially with gen 7 Kaby Lake on the horizon. It's not much but the power saving aspect of the gen 6 over the gen 5 is almost enough to justfy the £50. Combined with the battery I'd say it were well worth it.
    True for stores but a surprising amount of people on my course have bought refurbished laptops off Ebay without looking past the "I5" label. I have little doubt they will regret that by the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the advice. I'm pretty useless understanding all these different things I should look out for but thanks for the two suggestions
    The Dell Inspiron laptop Ascel linked to was going to be my suggestion :yep:

ReputationRep:
    DELL Inspiron 15 3000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    DELL Inspiron 15 3000
    The 3000 was actually going to be one of my suggestions, it came in at £399 on currys I think. But then I saw the 5000 and for £50 it made sense to get the upgrade. It's pretty much identical in specs to the Asus I mentioned but with one key difference:

1366x786 display. The Asus and 5000 model bother offer 1080p. In that respect the Asus made more sense than the 3000, thus I ommitted it.

True for stores but a surprising amount of people on my course have bought refurbished laptops off Ebay without looking past the "I5" label. I have little doubt they will regret that by the end of the year.
    I can't honestly say I'd be comfortable buying a refurbished device off eBay, especially an i5 model as a daily driver. Then again I have slightly higher than average requirements since I'm doing Forensic Computing. But just looking at i5 is not a good idea. They might all be dual core but you'll notice the difference between a top end and a lower end model.

I'm currently writing this on a Dell XPS 13. Despite only having a dual core i5 and 8GB of RAM it's the nicest machine I've owned and my daily driver for assignments. Roll on the days of full fat quad core i7's and 16GB of RAM in 13 inch devices. We're not far off now.

ReputationRep:
    commodore 64
    runs on potato
    min polution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I can't honestly say I'd be comfortable buying a refurbished device off eBay, especially an i5 model as a daily driver. Then again I have slightly higher than average requirements since I'm doing Forensic Computing. But just looking at i5 is not a good idea. They might all be dual core but you'll notice the difference between a top end and a lower end model.

I'm currently writing this on a Dell XPS 13. Despite only having a dual core i5 and 8GB of RAM it's the nicest machine I've owned and my daily driver for assignments. Roll on the days of full fat quad core i7's and 16GB of RAM in 13 inch devices. We're not far off now.
    Ebay is a mixed bag. Some places are great well others aren't. The problem is when they aren't they tend to be really bad. Like yourself I'd avoid buying refurbished on Ebay especially with laptops because you can't replace individual parts if something goes bad.

I'm also doing a computer based course it's why I was surprised so many people bought old machines. Maybe they just assumed it was cheap and most of the programming would be done on the university's system anyway.

Dells, like most laptops, can't be upgraded but the hardware you get tends to be great and lasts a long time if cared for.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay is a mixed bag. Some places are great well others aren't. The problem is when they aren't they tend to be really bad. Like yourself I'd avoid buying refurbished on Ebay especially with laptops because you can't replace individual parts if something goes bad.

I'm also doing a computer based course it's why I was surprised so many people bought old machines. Maybe they just assumed it was cheap and most of the programming would be done on the university's system anyway.

Dells, like most laptops, can't be upgraded but the hardware you get tends to be great and lasts a long time if cared for.
    Agreed. I purchased my XPS on eBay but made absolutely sure it was brand new and there were no issues. Haven't had a problem and can't complain. But I wouldn't purchase a random second hand laptop unless it was messing about with.

ReputationRep:

I can vouch for HP laptops because I've been using them for ages.[*]Windows 10 Home 64[*].Intel® Core™ i5-6200U processor 2.3 Ghz
    (15.6") diagonal HD (1366 x 768) display[*]8GB DDR4 RAM with 256GB SSD(smaller but faster than normal hard drives+ u can get a USB or an external hardrive should be able to run some games as well)[*]B&O PLAY; HP Audio Boost; Dual speakers (great for media and stuff)
    9.30 mintues battery life. it take 1.30 to charge full

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.