Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WHY ARE BIOLOGY A LEVELS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET AN A (help me) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I feel like even if i rememeber the whole of the 'endorsed' textbook resource i would only get a C and i really need an A. does anyone who did/doing biology ocr know to how to approach biology, thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepingforlife)
    I feel like even if i rememeber the whole of the 'endorsed' textbook resource i would only get a C and i really need an A. does anyone who did/doing biology ocr know to how to approach biology, thnx
    To get an A you must understand the textbook so you can apply your knowledge rather than focusing on remembering. If you understand then you will probably remember things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepingforlife)
    Oh OCR A or OCR B? Yeah, that course is tough. I'm currently doing it. I was 3 marks off an A this year in the AS. Personally, my advice, would be to do all the past paper questions and I mean all of them. I would also make sure you understand the concepts and do all the summary and chapter questions. Additionally, there are some things you can memorise set answers for and common questions which come up all the time. For example, the process of translocation. I think I didn't achieve my A grade this year was because I was using the totally wrong book. BUY THE OCR EXAM BOOK NOT THAT STUPID PEARSON EDEXCEL BOOK IT IS TOTAL RUBBISH AND SLIGHTLY SCREWED ME FOR MY AS PAPERS.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about OCR though I did study from OCR bio books for my A Levels but I sat the CIE exams and the best way for me to remember and understand answers was to make a question bank. So I would open past papers, note down difficult/common/recurring/lengthy questions and then open the respective mark scheme, look at the points given and form an answer and write that down. I was even able to predict a question or two of my paper because I knew what to expect after going through so many papers. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing OCR A I understand what you mean. You really need to understand the subject matter, but then also understand what knowledge the question is requiring you to apply. Definitely not like the old spec past papers

ReputationRep:
    Try to understand the work in a higher degree of detail than everyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    To get an A you must understand the textbook so you can apply your knowledge rather than focusing on remembering. If you understand then you will probably remember things
    I'm AQA biology and I completely understand that this is the secret to getting an A.
    The problem is where is the time to learn the knowledge, consolidate it and practise applying it WHILE staying on top of my other subjects

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.