Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Desktop, laptop, and chromebook - What's the best way to go?

ReputationRep:
    I am taking a computing course however I don't imagine I'll be programming on this device.

First off I have a desktop with an I5 6600 and a very good graphics card. I have no worries about my desktop being powerful enough for my work however... I would like something portable for note taking and other such things like killing time between lectures.

I currently have an old laptop - acer aspire 5551 with an AMD p320
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire.../dp/B003S3R7R0 - or close to it. Although mine currently runs windows 10. I've been considering putting a different OS on it to speed it up and maybe upgrading the ram. I also hold an old EEE 1005HA (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seashell-10.../dp/B002DR4KAE - or close to it) I might put chrome OS or a very light Linux distribution on.

Any thought on how best to proceed? Would I be better off just buying a cheap refurbished laptop/chromebook?

ReputationRep:
    Chromebooks have definitely become better over the years of the chromeos updates. Their extremely fast wake up time and excellent battery life, and their durability, are great reasons to consider one. You could try a 2 in 1 laptop if you like tablets and also a desktop OS. I wouldn't spend too much given that your use case would be fairly low power. Of course, you don't have to get these devices brand new, choosing the right sellers when buying used and refurbished devices can save you a lot of money.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.