Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is it ever right or socially acceptable to snitch? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok a friend of mine was driving back from a birthday party the other night he was quite excited and loud but accidentally over steered into someone's parked car, denting the door and front wing. A neighbour saw this and is threatening to tell the owner and Police, they've even put a postcard in the corner shop window describing my friends car. What right do they have?

But the point is what business of theirs? It's not their car that got dented and in any case the owner of that car will just claim on their insurance.
    I think its wrong and a liberty that a stranger can just snitch on someone who has done no harm to them.
    My friend is a good lad who is at college with us and doesn't have a lot of money and didn't mean to bash into that other car, it's not like he did it for fun.

But what do people get out of snitching on one another? I think its bad and breaks communities apart.

Do you agree?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Snitches get stitches.

ReputationRep:
    In some cases snitching is okay for example if a friend is hanging out with the wrong crowd (drugs and stuff), it would be okay to tell their parents. But if its something minor like something cheating in a minor test or something, I think snitching is a lack of loyalty in that case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Snitches get stitches.
    Got there before me, dude let someone else have a go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Snitching is fine in most circumstances although you need to know when not to as it may be more benifical, but snitches do not end up in ditches

ReputationRep:
    So because it was an accident he should be allowed to get away with it? That's not how it works. He made a mistake and should own up for his actions.

You ask what business is it of theirs? Well what do you actually know about this neighbour? Maybe the neighbour is a good friend of the person who's car got hit.

Ultimately if it's not the neighbours business then it isn't your business either right? It's not the neighbours business to get involved and help the car owner find out who did it but it is your business to get invovled to stick up for your friend?

You say that snitching is bad and breaks communities apart. So instead of a community built on trusting each other and solidarity you'd rather everyone kept to themselves and didn't get involved in someone else's business? That's not a community.

No matter which way you look at this your friend did something wrong. Doesn't matter if it was by accident. Do you accidentally spill some water in the kitchen and ignore it? Do you acidentally kick a ball, break someone's window and not own up? Do you accidentally run over someone and just ignore it?

I don't know the exact details on the law but I'm pretty sure hitting someone's car and driving off as if nothing happened is a criminal offence. Or there's some aspect of breaking the law in here somewhere. Which also means if the neighbour saw it they'd be in trouble for effectively covering it up. One way or another I'm pretty sure your friend has broken the law by hitting a car, driving off and not reporting it. Take that as you will.

ReputationRep:
    If you're involved in the incident and are one of the perpetrators or it's one of your friends, no. There are some exceptions but not many.

If someone commits a crime against you then it's fair. Doing nothing in that scenario is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Your specific example was odd. The neighbour probably had a relationship(friend or family) with the car owner.

The idea that someone is a "snitch" is actually rather childish. The people that leaked out the phone hacking scandal, for example, would never be vilified for doing the right thing. People shouldn't be made to "mind their own business". If someone robbed my home I would hope anyone who sees it would help out.

There is a limit. Petty things sometimes see people go too far but honestly for things involving money and personal property I'm glad people get involved. Your friend was in the wrong. They should have stayed and told the owner themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuyHere)
    Your specific example was odd. The neighbour probably had a relationship(friend or family) with the car owner.

The idea that someone is a "snitch" is actually rather childish. The people that leaked out the phone hacking scandal, for example, would never be vilified for doing the wrong thing. People shouldn't be made to "mind their own business". If someone robbed my home I would hope anyone who sees it would help out.

There is a limit. Petty things sometimes see people go too far but honestly for things involving money and personal property I'm glad people get involved. you're friend was in the wrong. They should have stayed and told the owner themselves.
    This. What OP described was not snitching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Ok a friend of mine was driving back from a birthday party the other night he was quite excited and loud but accidentally over steered into someone's parked car, denting the door and front wing. A neighbour saw this and is threatening to tell the owner and Police, they've even put a postcard in the corner shop window describing my friends car. What right do they have?

But the point is what business of theirs? It's not their car that got dented and in any case the owner of that car will just claim on their insurance.
    I think its wrong and a liberty that a stranger can just snitch on someone who has done no harm to them.
    My friend is a good lad who is at college with us and doesn't have a lot of money and didn't mean to bash into that other car, it's not like he did it for fun.

But what do people get out of snitching on one another? I think its bad and breaks communities apart.

Do you agree?
    Ridiculous. If someone bumped into a car of someone close to me, I'd report them for it. It's never as simple as claiming on insurance and having nothing to worry about. Excess means that parking scrapes often aren't worth claiming for. If that was your car that someone "accidentally" damaged, you'd probably still want it fixed. I don't go around "snitching" on people when what people are doing really does mean very little to me but in this instance, if I was close the the neighbour in question, I would. In the same way that I'd appreciate it if someone was to help me file in a case against someone who'd damaged my car and somehow feels entitled to walk away from it without consequence.

ReputationRep:

Do you agree?
    That's like citizens arrest or someone filing an ASBO.

It's annoying as hell but not snitching. Snitching involves betrayal and back stabbing. It would be snitching if you reported it especially if after your mate begged you not to. I do agree they need to butt out.
    • Very Important Poster

Do you agree?
    What about the person whose car has been damaged? Why doesnt your friend have the decency to leave the details so a claim can be made on insurance.
    Looks like hes failed to stop at the scene of an accident, which is a criminal offence.

Btw you contradict yourself by saying he did damage and then he didnt.

Saying he can claim it on insurance, conveniently excuses the fact he has done damage and will cost this man extra money.

You really are a bonkers poster ambitious I can see why you are always pleading for Assad and Isis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    So because it was an accident he should be allowed to get away with it? That's not how it works. He made a mistake and should own up for his actions.

You ask what business is it of theirs? Well what do you actually know about this neighbour? Maybe the neighbour is a good friend of the person who's car got hit.

Ultimately if it's not the neighbours business then it isn't your business either right? It's not the neighbours business to get involved and help the car owner find out who did it but it is your business to get invovled to stick up for your friend?

You say that snitching is bad and breaks communities apart. So instead of a community built on trusting each other and solidarity you'd rather everyone kept to themselves and didn't get involved in someone else's business? That's not a community.

No matter which way you look at this your friend did something wrong. Doesn't matter if it was by accident. Do you accidentally spill some water in the kitchen and ignore it? Do you acidentally kick a ball, break someone's window and not own up? Do you accidentally run over someone and just ignore it?

I don't know the exact details on the law but I'm pretty sure hitting someone's car and driving off as if nothing happened is a criminal offence. Or there's some aspect of breaking the law in here somewhere. Which also means if the neighbour saw it they'd be in trouble for effectively covering it up. One way or another I'm pretty sure your friend has broken the law by hitting a car, driving off and not reporting it. Take that as you will.
    But the point is the car that got hit could be fixed on the owners insurance, in any case the people that live in that street have money. Our friend doesn't have a lot of money, but he's a good lad and was a bit distracted when he hit the car. They'd just come back from a birthday party there was a lot of banter in the car and it was dark outside. He never wanted to dent the other car he didn't see it.
    It wasn't until the next morning it dawned on him when he saw the front of his car s*** what have I done lol? But time is water under the bridge I guess all be forgotten about in a few weeks he thinks until some nosy Parker gets involved.

But you can see the witness snitching is like they have something against him when he did no harm to them.
    Many of us were brought up not to snitch on the estate and in any case what reward is there for snitching except creating hostility? Nice people get on with one another not tell tales.

ReputationRep:
    But the point is the car that got hit could be fixed on the owners insurance, in any case the people that live in that street have money. Our friend doesn't have a lot of money, but he's a good lad and was a bit distracted when he hit the car. They'd just come back from a birthday party there was a lot of banter and it was dark outside. He never wanted to dent the other car.

But you can see the witness snitching is like they have something against him when he did no harm to them.
    Many of us were brought up not to snitch on the estate and in any case what reward is there for snitching except creating hostility? Nice people get on with one another not tell tales.
    What you are describing isn't snitching. Your friend ****ed up. If he doesn't have much money it's just tough. It will be an expensive lesson to learn to take more care when driving.

ReputationRep:
    You should have chosen your mates wisely, then you wouldn't need to be thinking if you'd snitch or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    What you are describing isn't snitching. Your friend ****ed up. If he doesn't have much money it's just tough. It will be an expensive lesson to learn to take more care when driving.
    He is very careful at driving but it was dark, the street was narrow, he was excited after the party and it was over a week ago, water under the bridge. In any case the owner could have parked his car more carefully. There are a lot of factors that reduce the responsibility and blame when we think about it.

I thunk the witness doesn't know the full facts and should of ignored it. Putting a postcard in the shop window is well out of order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Snitches get stitches.
    and immature idiots get P45s / eviction notices / prosecuted for being an accessory / PCoJ / 'joint enterprise'

funny how people are all 'don;t snitch' until they are on the recieiving end

come back when your testes have dropped

ReputationRep:
    He is very careful at driving but it was dark, the street was narrow, he was excited after the party and it was over a week ago, water under the bridge. In any case the owner could have parked his car more carefully. There are a lot of factors that reduce the responsibility and blame when we think about it.

I thunk the witness doesn't know the full facts and should of ignored it. Putting a postcard in the shop window is well out of order.
    No it isn't. Your friend is at fault here.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    and immature idiots get P45s / eviction notices / prosecuted for being an accessory / PCoJ / 'joint enterprise'

funny how people are all 'don;t snitch' until they are on the recieiving end

come back when your testes have dropped
    Oh calm down, I wasn't even being serious :rolleyes:

Whether my testes have dropped or not is entirely my business thank you

ReputationRep:

Excited after the party as in what? Drink or drugs? The only thing I am after a party is sleepy if I'm driving.

[sarcasm] It was dark? Not like a car has lights or anything [sarcasm]

Your friend (and yourself) are fault for walking away. You're looking for excuses. There aren't any valid ones so you're blaming someone else.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.