iPad mini/air or netbook for uni?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year of uni and am getting fed up of lugging my hefty laptop to and from uni every day. I am looking for something primarily to use for note taking in lectures & seminars, and also for reading.

My budget is roughly £100-£200, but I realise I'd have to spend a little more than this for an iPad, and then for a keyboard so that will all add up. I am considering an iPad as I feel I may get use out of this outside of university too, particularly as I travel a lot, whereas the netbook I guess would only be used at uni. I have a feeling the netbook would serve me better for note taking though and is generally more practical considering what I need it for.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    I'm in my final year of uni and am getting fed up of lugging my hefty laptop to and from uni every day. I am looking for something primarily to use for note taking in lectures & seminars, and also for reading.

My budget is roughly £100-£200, but I realise I'd have to spend a little more than this for an iPad, and then for a keyboard so that will all add up. I am considering an iPad as I feel I may get use out of this outside of university too, particularly as I travel a lot, whereas the netbook I guess would only be used at uni. I have a feeling the netbook would serve me better for note taking though and is generally more practical considering what I need it for.

Any advice?
    Is this going to be your only computer, or will you be keeping your larger one for use at home?

ReputationRep:
    If it's just for note taking and you have access to more powerful computer I'd recommend a chromebook. Look into them first(they can be limited) but for basic tasks they are very good apparently. I've been thinking about picking one up for the same reason. Much cheaper then the other two options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Is this going to be your only computer, or will you be keeping your larger one for use at home?
    I will have a larger one (macbook pro) at home too

ReputationRep:
    I will have a larger one (macbook pro) at home too
    How big is the pro? How small would you want this new computer do be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuyHere)
    How big is the pro? How small would you want this new computer do be?
    It is 13", and I'm not entirely sure but a few inches smaller than my current laptop. I mostly just want something that is very lightweight

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    The main issue here is that lightweight doesn't generally fit with decent specs at low prices. I've got a super lightweight laptop (Dell XPS 13) and it can easily cope with everything I do at uni (as an IT student this is a big deal for me) but it's not cheap.

You outright can't buy a new laptop for under £300 now, not if you want something running a proper OS with proepr specs. Chromebooks and stream machines are the only devices you'll find in the under £200 budget. They'd suffice for what you want and would be lighter (chromebooks in particular) but they're extremely limited.

Besides that your only other option is a cheap tablet, which again poses the same issues.

Why do you need a computer for taking notes? If all you're doing is taking notes can you not use old fashioned pen and paper? You won't get something lighter than a notebook and a pen. And if you need something for reading get a cheap tablet for under £100. If you depserately want to type as well get a cheap bluetooth keyboard. Spending more when you won't use it for anything else seems like a waste and unless you are willing to spend a lot more than your budget you won't get any real worthwhile machine.

ReputationRep:
    It is 13", and I'm not entirely sure but a few inches smaller than my current laptop. I mostly just want something that is very lightweight
    Are you using the 13" inch retina pro? You could save a small amount of weight with either a Chromebook or a tablet+keyboard combination, but you'd be using something nowhere near as good as your MacBook in my opinion.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.