Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Law or Biological Sciences?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of either studying Law or Biology at uni - but I don't know which one to choose! I find both subjects interesting but I just don't know. I know Law has great career prospects, but Biology has practical elements to it and the content is diverse. Any advise is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Law careers can be followed after a degree in Biological Sciences. You do the GDL- Graduate Diploma in Law, a one year's dash though the main law subjects, ( not for the faint hearted though), followed by ,

Either

a paid Training Contract with a Solicitors' firm ( who may also pay for your GDL ), difficult to get:

Or

the 1 year BPTC ( Bar Professional Training Course) and 1 year pupillage in a Barristers' chambers - insanely competitive- ( possibly if you are lucky, having a Scholarship from an Inn for the GDL and BPTC, otherwise huge debts without indulgent rich parents)

In both cases your academics / ECs need to be top notch - not to say spectacular especially for the Pupillage game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    Law careers can be followed after a degree in Biological Sciences. You do the GDL- Graduate Diploma in Law, a one year's dash though the main law subjects, ( not for the faint hearted though), followed by ,

Either

a paid Training Contract with a Solicitors' firm ( who may also pay for your GDL ), difficult to get:

Or

the 1 year BPTC ( Bar Professional Training Course) and 1 year pupillage in a Barristers' chambers - insanely competitive- ( possibly if you are lucky, having a Scholarship from an Inn for the GDL and BPTC, otherwise huge debts without indulgent rich parents)

In both cases your academics / ECs need to be top notch - not to say spectacular especially for the Pupillage game.
    I have heard about the GDL. The thing is, it's not really the "same" as a QLD because you're learning the bare minimum to practise law without any in depth study into other areas of law and I'm afraid this would put me at a disadvantage against other candidates who may an LLM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    I have heard about the GDL. The thing is, it's not really the "same" as a QLD because you're learning the bare minimum to practise law without any in depth study into other areas of law and I'm afraid this would put me at a disadvantage against other candidates who may an LLM.
    It really wouldn't put you at a disadvantage. There are a lot of competent, successful law converts out there in the working world. In fact, most lawyers I've spoken to have said that doing a different degree then converting would afford you with more insight than had you just stuck with law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    As someone who recruited students into law firms for over a decade, it definitely won't put you at a disadvantage.

Academic law and practical law are very different things.

In fact by the time you look to complete your course, the GDL and LPC might not even exist, and instead you do what's going to be the SQE like any law student, just your course to prepare you for the SQE will be slightly longer than a law student.

Maybe go and find a little more about the degree content and learning formats. You probably couldn't get two more different type of courses, so maybe think about how it is going to be taught and not just how intriguing the content is to you at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=AndrewKn0x;67948722]I have heard about the GDL. The thing is, it's not really the "same" as a QLD because you're learning the bare minimum to practise law without any in depth study into other areas of law and I'm afraid this would put me at a disadvantage against other candidates who may an LLM.[/QUOTE

I believe Law Firms/chambers recruit roughly 50:50 Law and non Law graduates - indeed for some specialities non Law graduates are preferred.

A close relative did a non Law degree, then the GDL and is now a barrister at a top London set.

Science degrees are in demand for Intellectual Property / Patent Law. Masters are not particularly required.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.