Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to get some legal advice here.

Im a UK student, recently moved into this new house, and as you can see, my landlord's agent wants to stay the night in the house he rents us, which i am fairly certian he isn't allowed to do. But here's some background to him/catharsis:

So thankfully I got accepted to do a Masters degree a few months ago. Unfortunately it was in September, and the course started at the end of the month, giving me 3 weeks to find somewhere to live. Brilliant. So two weeks go by and by this points im crapping my pants-I havent found anything. I must have literally applied to 30 different houses. I call this one guy one day and he says he has rooms available. the advert online has no pictures (which I knew was immediately suspicious) and the house was just outside my price range but i pursued as my only option.

After a week of back and forth emailing, from which his responses were pittiful (each day he would pretty much send me the same picture of my bedroom, as an absolute mess, stating that it was still work in progress), I agree to sign the contract and the room is mine. So I get to the house and its an absolute shambles. The rent is about 30% higher than i would expect to pay for the size-but even then, its 2 miles outside of the Universities city, so I have to travel 3 miles to university each day, and a mile to the nearest shop. He shows me around the house-walls unpainted, most appliances not working or disgusting-but he appears so proud of this house. It was hard to hide the shock on my face at this mess of a house.

Anyway I had literally no choice so i continued. Fast forward two weeks to today. My other housemates have gone home for the weekend, leaving me as the only guy here. The landlord's agent has been coming in, daily, on the promise of fixing things, but whenever I get home that evening, nothing is usually done-or if it is, its not something we even asked about, or its the most basic thing. Like I had a lightbulb missing in my room, so he put one in and was again sooooo proud of himself. I get back home this afternoon and our lounge has been converted into his office-he has brought a load of stuff in like his laptop and a load of papers and stuff. I go to the toilet upstairs and he has a suitcase unpacked in a spare room we have (which he is still trying to fill). He comes back and has been out cycling some of the day. He lets a friend into the house, and both of them wash (individually-they arent romantically attached) in our shower. At this point im almost in shock.

I was almost completely certain that this just wasn't allowed-at all. Your landlord can come over to talk to you, fix stuff that is broken, and show people around if the want one of the rooms, as long as he tells you beforehand. This is in my contract-I just checked. If i'm also right, they are usually allowed in without notice to do emergency repairs-I get that. But he is an agent for this landlord, working for her as a friend-he doesn't own this property at all, and he doesn't live here (otherwise he would have some kind of room permanently set up). He has literally just come in today, whilst I am the only one here (I am kind of shy so I think that's why he thought he could do it, not sure though), settled himself in this house.

My contract does state that when i sign, the landlord agrees to let, and the tenant agrees to take the house at signing. So from now on, we are the main people entitled to stay here-no one else, even the landlord. Its complicated cause they are renting this house out room by room instead of as a group, so Im not sure if he could claim that he is entitled to stay in the empty room. I'm apparently contractually also not allowed to let, underlet, or share part of the property with anyone who hasn't signed a contract and is a tenant (as per usual), and the standard "you can live here peacefully without me interrupting" clause is also on there.

So yeah im just really confused about this happening right now. Has anyone else been through something like this? What did you do? And what does anyone think i should do?

UPDATE-just confronted him about this. He went SUPER defensive, saying this house was a wreck a few months ago, he's been working so hard to get it to where it is now and he's proud (don't see why because its total crap). He let us live here rent free for the first week, and the house has an electric meter we have to cover, and he put £60 on it a few days ago (actually was £30) because the house was so bad, and now he says "I was being flexible, i hope you can be too and just let me stay here" so he can fix it quick. Yet he has barely done anything I have been badgering him to do in the past week.
    • Very Important Poster

Paragraphs or people wont read it.

ReputationRep:
    Ain't nobody got time for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Paragraphs or people wont read it.
    Ha, yeah sorry about that, I started this in Word, then copy and paste went weird for some reason. All fixed.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds crazy... are you sure he's even a legitimate agent?
    If I were you, I'd contact the director/manager of the agency before it goes any further - you're right, he has NO legal right to be there!
    If they make a fuss, I'd tell them you'll report them to the council!

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to pay you full rent.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by QuentinM)
    Hoping to get some legal advice here.

Im a UK student, recently moved into this new house, and as you can see, my landlord's agent wants to stay the night in the house he rents us, which i am fairly certian he isn't allowed to do. But here's some background to him/catharsis:

So thankfully I got accepted to do a Masters degree a few months ago. Unfortunately it was in September, and the course started at the end of the month, giving me 3 weeks to find somewhere to live. Brilliant. So two weeks go by and by this points im crapping my pants-I havent found anything. I must have literally applied to 30 different houses. I call this one guy one day and he says he has rooms available. the advert online has no pictures (which I knew was immediately suspicious) and the house was just outside my price range but i pursued as my only option.

Its the type of thing that is easier to resolve in person rather than on a message board or over the phone, then you can be interviewed and they cna look at any documents.

After a week of back and forth emailing, from which his responses were pittiful (each day he would pretty much send me the same picture of my bedroom, as an absolute mess, stating that it was still work in progress), I agree to sign the contract and the room is mine. So I get to the house and its an absolute shambles. The rent is about 30% higher than i would expect to pay for the size-but even then, its 2 miles outside of the Universities city, so I have to travel 3 miles to university each day, and a mile to the nearest shop. He shows me around the house-walls unpainted, most appliances not working or disgusting-but he appears so proud of this house. It was hard to hide the shock on my face at this mess of a house.

Anyway I had literally no choice so i continued. Fast forward two weeks to today. My other housemates have gone home for the weekend, leaving me as the only guy here. The landlord's agent has been coming in, daily, on the promise of fixing things, but whenever I get home that evening, nothing is usually done-or if it is, its not something we even asked about, or its the most basic thing. Like I had a lightbulb missing in my room, so he put one in and was again sooooo proud of himself. I get back home this afternoon and our lounge has been converted into his office-he has brought a load of stuff in like his laptop and a load of papers and stuff. I go to the toilet upstairs and he has a suitcase unpacked in a spare room we have (which he is still trying to fill). He comes back and has been out cycling some of the day. He lets a friend into the house, and both of them wash (individually-they arent romantically attached) in our shower. At this point im almost in shock.

I was almost completely certain that this just wasn't allowed-at all. Your landlord can come over to talk to you, fix stuff that is broken, and show people around if the want one of the rooms, as long as he tells you beforehand. This is in my contract-I just checked. If i'm also right, they are usually allowed in without notice to do emergency repairs-I get that. But he is an agent for this landlord, working for her as a friend-he doesn't own this property at all, and he doesn't live here (otherwise he would have some kind of room permanently set up). He has literally just come in today, whilst I am the only one here (I am kind of shy so I think that's why he thought he could do it, not sure though), settled himself in this house.

My contract does state that when i sign, the landlord agrees to let, and the tenant agrees to take the house at signing. So from now on, we are the main people entitled to stay here-no one else, even the landlord. Its complicated cause they are renting this house out room by room instead of as a group, so Im not sure if he could claim that he is entitled to stay in the empty room. I'm apparently contractually also not allowed to let, underlet, or share part of the property with anyone who hasn't signed a contract and is a tenant (as per usual), and the standard "you can live here peacefully without me interrupting" clause is also on there.

So yeah im just really confused about this happening right now. Has anyone else been through something like this? What did you do? And what does anyone think i should do?

UPDATE-just confronted him about this. He went SUPER defensive, saying this house was a wreck a few months ago, he's been working so hard to get it to where it is now and he's proud (don't see why because its total crap). He let us live here rent free for the first week, and the house has an electric meter we have to cover, and he put £60 on it a few days ago (actually was £30) because the house was so bad, and now he says "I was being flexible, i hope you can be too and just let me stay here" so he can fix it quick. Yet he has barely done anything I have been badgering him to do in the past week.
    Theres not a lot you can do this weekend.
    Its unclear whether the agent is attempting to stay the night?

I would wait till your housemates get back, they might be equally annoyed.
    You Should contact Shelter

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...dvice_helpline
    or CAB

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...tizens-advice/

or your advisor at the SU.

The aim is for someone to review your agreement to see whether its an actual tenancy or just a licence and what rights of entry the agent has.

You should then as a group contact the LL direct and ask if she is aware of this and having been advised by one of the people I directed you to, then inform the LL whether she knows the agent is doing this, that he isnt entitled to and that he should stop. She might agree or she might not.

If she doesnt agree and you have been advised the agent cannot enter and stay like this then you have a breach at which point you cna either sue her or consider her in breach and seek to leave.

It sounds like he is doing it without her knowledge or doesnt care about agreements. If it annoys you and your flatmates then its up to you to get advice then stand up to him/ her and take action.

Update

sounds like he knows he shouldnt be there, its up to you housemates whether you wish to take it further notwithstanding if he is supposedly making it better, then you might be delaying that. Ofc you cna ask the LL to send someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your posts guys. Good to know im not going completely crazy. With all your posts I will definitely go to the council. I was already complaining to my university, where he advertised the property, so now I can add this to it too.

(Original post by Federerr)
    Tell him to pay you full rent.
    Ha love it. Legally im not allowed to sub-let but...

(Original post by Baylo1)
    He sounds crazy... are you sure he's even a legitimate agent?If I were you, I'd contact the director/manager of the agency before it goes any further - you're right, he has NO legal right to be there!
    If they make a fuss, I'd tell them you'll report them to the council!
    Yeah he is totally nuts. I told him my move in date three times, then on that date he texted "looking forward to seeing you tomorrow". I replied "Actually I get here today at 2pm". Reply: "Ok great what time?" Completely nuts. Unfortunately although I say agent, he isn't part of an agency, more someone who is acting as an agent on behalf of a friend. I think he is an accredited landlord with either the University in the area im staying, or with local council, so maybe not anymore after this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    Ha love it. Legally im not allowed to sub-let but...
    I won't tell, If you won't :mmm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.