Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no hero in her sky)
    I just did a little experiment with a bunch of my bras and a measuring tape.

They're all 32Bs and they measure 23"-26" from end to end. If I stretch them out to 32" (which is what would have to happen if someone with a 32" ribcage wore them), the fabric becomes seriously distorted - ie. the stripes become curves and the patterns lose their shape. 32" is about the absolute maximum they can stretch to. Trying to force a 32" chest into a 32 bra would put serious strain on the fabric. I can't see any way around this, unless some brands make 32 bras way bigger than mine.
    :ditto: Just did the exact same thing - smallest was a 22", largest 27".... Stretched to 32"..but I thought the material would snap frm the strain - I can't imagine someone trying to cram into that and not be cut in half!

ReputationRep:
    A 32 bra in a shop such as Topshop is too big in the band and too small in the cup for me to even contemplate wearing. On the rare occasion I see something like a 32DD or E in a normal shop, it's still far from fitting.

Bras are meant to stretch - if they don't stretch at all, they're not tight, and if they're not tight they don't work. You all seem to have boobs that, if they're not small, they're on the small side of average. Maybe you don't even need bras, so you can't really tell as easily when the bra doesn't fit. I'm not so lucky. :P

Honestly, though specialty places having different sizing conventions is a nice theory because it actually makes sense, that's not what's happening :P

Probably last stupid question, because I'll have exhausted the list soon - you girls do know that the underbust isn't the waist, right? Because I have no idea why you fit 32 bands otherwise. That's the most ridiculous question I've ever had to ask in relation to bras, and I fully expect you to say yes :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Just did the exact same thing - smallest was a 22", largest 27".... Stretched to 32"..but I thought the material would snap frm the strain - I can't imagine someone trying to cram into that and not be cut in half!
    Lol.

I also realised that every single person (of those who post on TSR about their bra sizes) who goes into Bravissimo ends up being told they have a band size that is less than 32. They clearly size their bras differently from normal stores. I would go into the store to investigate myself, but I would be laughed at going into a store for "big-boobed women."

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

I also realised that every single person (of those who post on TSR about their bra sizes) who goes into Bravissimo ends up being told they have a band size that is less than 32. They clearly size their bras differently from normal stores. I would go into the store to investigate myself, but I would be laughed at going into a store for "big-boobed women."
    That theory might hold water if it weren't for the fact that Bravissimo doesn't actually make their own bras - they sell bras produced by a wide variety of other manufacturers, such as Panache, Gossard, Fantasie, Freya, Triumph, Royce, etc etc...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by rinabean)
    A 32 bra in a shop such as Topshop is too big in the band and too small in the cup for me to even contemplate wearing. On the rare occasion I see something like a 32DD or E in a normal shop, it's still far from fitting.

Bras are meant to stretch - if they don't stretch at all, they're not tight, and if they're not tight they don't work. You all seem to have boobs that, if they're not small, they're on the small side of average. Maybe you don't even need bras, so you can't really tell as easily when the bra doesn't fit. I'm not so lucky. :P

Honestly, though specialty places having different sizing conventions is a nice theory because it actually makes sense, that's not what's happening :P

Probably last stupid question, because I'll have exhausted the list soon - you girls do know that the underbust isn't the waist, right? Because I have no idea why you fit 32 bands otherwise. That's the most ridiculous question I've ever had to ask in relation to bras, and I fully expect you to say yes :P
    I have two 32B bras from Topshop right in front of me. One of them measures 25.5" from end-to-end and the other measures 24" from end to end. For you to wear them, the bands would have to stretch 4.5"-6" to fit around your chest... so they physically couldn't be loose on you. Are you sure you looked at the sizes on the labels and not just the sizes on the hanger? :p: Honestly, I have no idea why they would be big for you.

I know they're meant to stretch... my bras are all 23-26" in circumference and my ribcage is 27", so they stretch 1-4 inches - meaning they're supportive but not uncomfortably tight.

And yes, we know. My waist is 25".

(Original post by Hel)
    That theory might hold water if it weren't for the fact that Bravissimo doesn't actually make their own bras - they sell bras produced by a wide variety of other manufacturers, such as Panache, Gossard, Fantasie, Freya, Triumph, Royce, etc etc...
    Perhaps those manufacturers size their bras differently than the brands I wear. I've never tried them, so I wouldn't know. But I do know that someone with a 32" chest couldn't comfortably wear any of my bras.

ReputationRep:
    And yes, we know. My waist is 25".
    *sigh* There goes my last hope at solving this :P

Hel raises a good point. Several of those brands produce normal sized bras which I've seen sold in places like TJ Hughes (and no, they aren't defective :rolleyes:). So either they're making the same sizes of bras twice with different tags, or, you know, I really am a 30 back :P

My bras stretch only a few inches, too. I really think it is to do with your boobs being in a different place and possibly that you're not used to a properly tight bra, but if it's already stretching you must be. So, I have no idea :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you measure your bras from end-to-end, what are they?

Surely that'll prove if I'm right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    you girls do know that the underbust isn't the waist, right?
    You are kidding aren't you? I mean we all know the the underbust is our hips :rolleyes: :p:
    I admit that by most of the online calculators Im a 32A, but I tried on my 32As before I left cos I was deciding if I wanted to take them to Uni...and I got a wonderful multi-boob. New Look 32Bs aren't the best fit for me, but all other bras are good - my wonderbras and gossard bras are perfect fits...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I tried on a 34C today at Ann Summers and it very nearly fit me. How odd. The band was fine on me, but the cups were only slightly too big. They must have weird sizing.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I was kidding, Sephrenia XD But really, I can't think of anything else.

I don't have a tape measure or ruler to hand right now, I'll look for one tomorrow and find out

ReputationRep:
    http://iruler.net/ Is quite accurate - *has measured it with ehr ruler* Only out by about 3mm over 15cm [as long as my ruler is

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, thank you! I was going to just use my stretched index finger and thumb as 15cm if I couldn't find anything. (According to that site it's actually 16cm though XD)

My 32FF bra, which is the best-fitting one I currently own, is something like 24-26 inches unstretched. It's hard to be accurate. :/ My underbust must still be 30 inches - even if I'd lost weight there I could only go down to 29 or so anyway, there's not really any fat there.

I think the problem with 32s in normal shops is that sometimes I can't fasten them, because the cups are far too small, or I wear it really weirdly because the cups are big enough that I can wear it, but as one of those quarter-cup bras, even when it's full cup. So I guess that makes the circumference seem bigger than it is, because part of it is the cups But the 32 is loose on me, because I can get my fist under it, and could when I bought it. It should be just a few fingers, really, because that's enough to undo it. But I'd gone from being able to fit two fists in the back, so it was good enough :P

ReputationRep:
    How embarrassing - I'm bigger than everybody else... I'm a 32G, possibly H depending on the bra. AND I HATE THEM. OP, seriously, you don't want to go bigger than an E. I would love to be an E again... I was an E when I was 15, and the bloody things are still growing. They hurt my back, clothes always look way too tight over my bust, yet really baggy on my stomach, I can't lie on my front at all and I'm dreading just how droopy they'll be when I'm a granny. Seen that birthday card where the old woman lifts up her skirt and her boobs are by her knees? That'll be me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariadne)
    How embarrassing - I'm bigger than everybody else... I'm a 32G, possibly H depending on the bra. AND I HATE THEM. OP, seriously, you don't want to go bigger than an E. I would love to be an E again... I was an E when I was 15, and the bloody things are still growing. They hurt my back, clothes always look way too tight over my bust, yet really baggy on my stomach, I can't lie on my front at all and I'm dreading just how droopy they'll be when I'm a granny. Seen that birthday card where the old woman lifts up her skirt and her boobs are by her knees? That'll be me.
    Really?! I would never have guessed that you were that size...not that Im in the habit of guessing peoples bra size....

ReputationRep:
    Years of practice at hiding them as well as poss.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough... =)

They probably won't grow much more in all honesty.

But hey, all the girls here with bigger boobs will be jealous that you don't need to wear a bra and can get away without wearing one under dresses and stuff. Plus your boobs'll stay nice and pert for longer Every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

ReputationRep:

Meh, I'm not exactly blessed either so I know where you're coming from. But at the end of the day, you've got what you've got and it's a bit like hair, if you've got curly hair you want straight, if you've got straight you want curly. Just got to make the best of what you have got

ReputationRep:
    I'm calling serious bull**** to some of these sizes.

The pervert in me looked at some Profile pictures, and there are NO WAY NEAR some sizes mentioned.

It's like a male "state your penis size thread".

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.