The Student Room Group

Deprotonation and Ligand exchange question.

I have a question from my "Inorganic Complexes" workbook.

Aqueous sodium hydroxide solution is added to a solution of iron (II) chloride. A dirty-green precipitate appears which is insoluble in excess sodium hydroxide. Write an equation to show the reaction taking place, and state the type of reaction taking place.

Yeah, I don't really know if I am overthinking this because it's a topic I'm new with, but I am not sure whether to write the iron (ii) chloride as a complex ion, and I don't know what type of reaction it would be. I know it could be acid-base (deprotonation) or ligand exchange. I'm also pretty sure that the precipitate is Fe(H2O)4(OH)2

Help/explanation is greatly appreciated, as I'm feeling slightly out of my depth here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamesthelam
I have a question from my "Inorganic Complexes" workbook.

Aqueous sodium hydroxide solution is added to a solution of iron (II) chloride. A dirty-green precipitate appears which is insoluble in excess sodium hydroxide. Write an equation to show the reaction taking place, and state the type of reaction taking place.

Yeah, I don't really know if I am overthinking this because it's a topic I'm new with, but I am not sure whether to write the iron (ii) chloride as a complex ion, and I don't know what type of reaction it would be. I know it could be acid-base (deprotonation) or ligand exchange. I'm also pretty sure that the precipitate is Fe(H2O)4(OH)2

Help/explanation is greatly appreciated, as I'm feeling slightly out of my depth here.

Yes, proton abstraction from the iron(II) hexaaqua complex ion.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Yes, proton abstraction from the iron(II) hexaaqua complex ion.

Thanks. Would I write the FeCl2 in a different way because it's in solution, and is a complex? Or is it simply written as [Fe(H2O)6]3- and the chlorine not considered?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamesthelam
Thanks. Would I write the FeCl2 in a different way because it's in solution, and is a complex? Or is it simply written as [Fe(H2O)6]3- and the chlorine not considered?

In solution iron exists as the hexaaqua ion ... the chlorides are balancing ions.

Quick Reply

Latest