How often do you come home?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    I come home from Uni about ever 2-3 wks at weekends. Only live 90 mins away. Usually this is for friends and family birthdays. In my third year now and always feel like I'm being too nice and should probably let go a bit...how often does everyone go home?

ReputationRep:
    In the first couple of months every 2-3 weeks, then every few months, now at masters it's every 6 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenn)
    I come home from Uni about ever 2-3 wks at weekends. Only live 90 mins away. Usually this is for friends and family birthdays. In my third year now and always feel like I'm being too nice and should probably let go a bit...how often does everyone go home?
    In first year I'd go every 5-6 weeks. But then in second year not so much. I held off going home because I had an interview for something and the date wasn't ocnfirmed so I only ended up going home once in the first semester before going home for Christmas. This is all with about a journey time of 3 hours door to door. I feel sorry for international students :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenn)
    Hello ,

In my First Year I went home at least twice a month - in Second Year, probably around one a month and then now in Third Year - just whenever I have the time or my family come to visit me which makes it easier for me!

Just depends on what's going on!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see what people do differently! I fee like such a baby going home every few weeks, but I feel like it gives me a good balance- most weekends at Uni I don't tend to do much anyway, so when I come home I get food and entertainment for free haha!

ReputationRep:
    I went home every three weeks. My flat mates went home weekly.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should stop going home so much!

ReputationRep:
    In my first year I went home every other month. In my 3rd/4th year I only went home during vacations.

ReputationRep:
    In First year I only went home in the holidays, and I live about 2 hours away from home. So far in my second year, I'm going home about once a month.

ReputationRep:
    Only at the beginning and end of term, and to be honest that's more often than I should be going home as a 3rd/4th year, if I had a job here I would probably only go back at Christmas and one other week each year.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny because , I thought people would only go home at the end of the terms then go back.

ReputationRep:
    I moved into my halls of residence on the 17th of September and planning to visit home for the first time around the 15th of November (my birthday). I wanted some time to get settled in and also it costs and arm and a leg to go home. I would imagine after my birthday, I'll go home for Christmas and then probably visit again around March time. I'm quite independent, talk to parents occasionally on Facebook, don't really get home sick I quite enjoy being an "adult".

ReputationRep:
    My eldest just went off to uni, and he'll be back at Christmas. His life has moved on from reciprocated family dependency.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been at uni for just over 2 weeks, but I'm not planning on coming home until Christmas.

My parents' house is 30 miles away from the university.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.