2nd year psychology students help !!!

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've just began my second year studying psychology at university and have a few questions hopefully some of you will be able to answer!

1) How much extra reading is needed per lecture/topic to achieve a 2:1/1st?
    2) What kind of extra reading do you think is useful for the exams- articles? or just general information from recommended textbooks?

I've been trying to write up my notes after each lecture so that I am prepared for when revision time comes but unsure of how much extra detail and what information i need past the lecture slides! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks !!!

ReputationRep:
    Try to do half an hour extra reading every day, from extra materials (at least). This is what i did to get my 2.1 in sociology, which is a similar kind of discipline to psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rew96)
    Hi everyone,

I've just began my second year studying psychology at university and have a few questions hopefully some of you will be able to answer!

1) How much extra reading is needed per lecture/topic to achieve a 2:1/1st?
    2) What kind of extra reading do you think is useful for the exams- articles? or just general information from recommended textbooks?

I've been trying to write up my notes after each lecture so that I am prepared for when revision time comes but unsure of how much extra detail and what information i need past the lecture slides! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks !!!
    Depends really. From my experience writing up notes was a waste of time, if you're examined via essays then additional reading is usually a better way of spending time, especially reading around the topic and finding recent papers. If you're examined using MCQs then revising and relearning the lectures is a good bet, but if you're writing essays then the lecture should only be used as a starting point for you to do further research. We had to write weekly essays so generally if you're doing more reading for each essay you're on the right track... i guess its harder if you're not being assigned work to do to stay motivated.

For reading, finding recent review articles and empiral reports is quite effective. In some cases books will also be good sources, but you don't want to limit yourself to just textbooks (also because they can be out of date for some topics)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.