My BA dissertation is optional, should I do it?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    So my English undergrad dissertation is optional. I'm seriously considering not doing it, mainly because I'm not sure which topic to choose, and the one area I am considering is one that I'm not very knowledgeable about. There's also plenty of other modules that I'm interested in and would like to take in place of the dissertation. I don't really fancy the inevitable extra stress that it would bring to my final year either.

The only thing holding me back is the fact that I would like to do an MA in English at some point and am concerned that the absence of a dissertation on my transcript may harm my application. I've emailed one uni and they said that it shouldn't matter, but that I should emphasise the research I've done in other essays instead. I don't know about other places though.

Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm this isn't something I've come across before. My instinct says you need that dissertation but I'm in a completely different field. I'd say email a few more unis and see what they have to say and if you're then convinced you don't need the dissertation then don't do one but pick your other modules carefully.

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty likely that you will write a dissertation during your master degree, so having some experience on how to do it might help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to agree with agrew. You're unlikely to be able to duck out of a diss at Masters level and the undergrad one will be good practice. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to go into my Masters diss cold, especially given that it constituted one-third of my final grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedral)
    So my English undergrad dissertation is optional. I'm seriously considering not doing it, mainly because I'm not sure which topic to choose, and the one area I am considering is one that I'm not very knowledgeable about. There's also plenty of other modules that I'm interested in and would like to take in place of the dissertation. I don't really fancy the inevitable extra stress that it would bring to my final year either.

The only thing holding me back is the fact that I would like to do an MA in English at some point and am concerned that the absence of a dissertation on my transcript may harm my application. I've emailed one uni and they said that it shouldn't matter, but that I should emphasise the research I've done in other essays instead. I don't know about other places though.
    In my view having done an undergraduate dissertation would strengthen your future MA application, and it would certainly give you valuable experience which would help you during the MA dissertation. Since good students often write some of their best work in their BA dissertations, it might also give you material which you could excerpt to use as work samples in your application (if, as your post suggests, you're planning to apply to MA courses after getting your BA, i.e. taking a break from academia for one or more years).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.