Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Bullied for taking my hijab off

I honestly can't do this anymore. I feel so lost. People at uni who I've known for a couple of days say that I seem as if I'm 'all over the place'.
    I come from a strict muslim family and my plan was to always move away for uni so I could finally have some freedom. Last year my grades weren't good enough for the unis I wanted to go to so I retook. My retake grades were substantially better (BBB) but I still failed to make to the grades for my firm/insurance (I'm a ****ing failure-I know)..

I ended up going to a local uni. A lot of people I know go here so I was really hesistant going there. I started taking off my hijab on the bus journey to uni cause I hate wearing it. A whole group of people from school saw me without it, they stared at me but they didn't say anything. At that point idgaf, I just wanted to meet new people at uni and do well in my course. A few days later I saw the same group again with people who I had meet off my course and they started whispering as I was walking past.

Later on that day, I was walking home so I put my hijab on and I bumped into 3 people from this group. They then ask me what types of alcohol I've drank. I was literally so confused so I said wth are you talking about. They then said 'we all know what you've been up to' and started sniggering. Honestly, it stung so much. All I've done is take my hijab off and they're all talking about me as if I'm some drunk ****. This happened over a week ago. Since that week I've only been uni once cause I've been so down about whats happened. I feel so lost and ashamed even though deep down I know I have nothing to be ashamed of

ReputationRep:
    Awww, okay first :jumphug:

I think taking it off and putting it back on may give those people a bad impression, no that it is an of their business.

Are allowed to take it off? Are your parents okay with that? if so then just keep it off and disregard anything they say to you.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to **** off. Report them if they continue to throw snide comments at you.

You can wear what you want, don't let anyone dictate that. Ignore the people who are being immature.

ReputationRep:
    Not every girl who wears a hijab is a saint.
    And, not every girl who doesn't wear one, a slut.

I am sick of such mentality. Really pisses me off.

Sorry to know that this happened to you.

I'm a muslim btw. And, I also come from a strict Muslim family so I empathise but my parents never forced me.

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Awww, okay first :jumphug:

I think taking it off and putting it back on may give those people a bad impression, no that it is an of their business.

Are allowed to take it off? Are your parents okay with that? if so then just keep it off and disregard anything they say to you.
    I know taking it on and off looks really bad but I don't have much choice. My dad would FLIP if he knew I took it off at uni..the way these people from my past have been talking about me really, really hurts tho. Like I feel guilty when I shouldn't..barely attended uni this past week as well

(Original post by UWS)
    Tell them to **** off. Report them if they continue to throw snide comments at you.

You can wear what you want, don't let anyone dictate that. Ignore the people who are being immature.
    Easier said then done when you live in a toxic musli community.

(Original post by Saba XD)
    Not every girl who wears a hijab is a saint.
    And, not every girl who doesn't wear one, a slut.

I am sick of such mentality. Really pisses me off.

Sorry to know that this happened to you.

I'm a muslim btw. And, I also come from a strict Muslim family so I empathise but my parents never forced me.
    Exactly, the things I've seen hijabis do is shocking. And you're so lucky to have parents like that. Mine have such a backward mentality. Apparently, girls who don't wear the scarf have no shame. Dumb **** like this makes me wanna cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Exactly, the things I've seen hijabis do is shocking. And you're so lucky to have parents like that. Mine have such a backward mentality. Apparently, girls who don't wear the scarf have no shame. Dumb **** like this makes me wanna cry.
    Well, my dad is strict. But, I'm an adult now, so basically, I'm only answerable for myself. It is not like someone else is going into my grave, are they. Just have an open discussion with someone in your family who is very close to you. That's my mum for me. She has been a shield for me against my dad.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't do this anymore. I feel so lost. People at uni who I've known for a couple of days say that I seem as if I'm 'all over the place'.
    I come from a strict muslim family and my plan was to always move away for uni so I could finally have some freedom. Last year my grades weren't good enough for the unis I wanted to go to so I retook. My retake grades were substantially better (BBB) but I still failed to make to the grades for my firm/insurance (I'm a ****ing failure-I know)..

I ended up going to a local uni. A lot of people I know go here so I was really hesistant going there. I started taking off my hijab on the bus journey to uni cause I hate wearing it. A whole group of people from school saw me without it, they stared at me but they didn't say anything. At that point idgaf, I just wanted to meet new people at uni and do well in my course. A few days later I saw the same group again with people who I had meet off my course and they started whispering as I was walking past.

Later on that day, I was walking home so I put my hijab on and I bumped into 3 people from this group. They then ask me what types of alcohol I've drank. I was literally so confused so I said wth are you talking about. They then said 'we all know what you've been up to' and started sniggering. Honestly, it stung so much. All I've done is take my hijab off and they're all talking about me as if I'm some drunk ****. This happened over a week ago. Since that week I've only been uni once cause I've been so down about whats happened. I feel so lost and ashamed even though deep down I know I have nothing to be ashamed of
    Assalamualaikum, you seem to be going through a kind of emotional situation at the moment.
    Please disregard the false accusations of people as in islam you are supposed to assume the best always and to make false accusations isn't right.
    I think it's best for you to know why you wear the hijab because if you are wearing it with no knowledge on why and then now you have freedom then you take it off because you could only have seen it as a mandatory thing whilst your parents are around and also the opportunity seems great as you are emotional at the moment then that's not the case.
    Nothing says you are a failure, you can define what a failure is yourself don't let others do it.
    I really recommend looking into the reason behind the hijab. Here is a video i recommend watching:
    Spoiler:
    Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AALgGKSnU2g

p.s. posting something on here like this where there is an abundance of extremely opinionated and uneducated people who base their opinions on stereotypes and media isn't going to get a response which will be that helpful for you.

I would like to show you another video so if you don't mind i'll add it to this later but i'll wait for your confirmation, otherwise can you private message me and i'll post it on your wall if you don't want anyone else knowing your identity. Other than that
    Jazakallahu khairan

Also i highly recommend watching Ali Dawah and Dawah mans youtube videos alongside Nouman ali khans, they are very helpful for knowing more about your religion and their approach is very understandable.

ReputationRep:
    Get good grades during your first year and you'll be able to transfer to another uni.

Example: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr.../ucas/transfer

ReputationRep:
    How do we know you are not making this all up? There are alot of bs anti islam threads nowadays on tsr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkhan2)
    How do we know you are not making this all up? There are alot of bs anti islam threads nowadays on tsr
    That is true.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.